WNBD - Kestrel in Red Metallic

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Wife's New Bass Day - I stumbled across a pretty good deal for a Kestrel Bass - my wife has a Kingfisher and a Bass-5, and this seemed like a nice surprise gift for her. it is as advertised, in Excellent if not Mint condition - couldn't find a blemish or swirl anywhere!

K28xYrC.jpg

uMxdzNE.jpg

Apologies for the dog hair all over the floor - they are in full shed mode, and it doesn't matter how often we vacuum, it re-appears almost instantly.

Very Nice! I keep eyeing those, and one of these days I'm gonna pull the trigger and upgrade from my Yammy.

Thanks everyone! They are great basses for the MAP price point, and the prices on the used market are generally awesome!

Yeah, I could that! Good job. Hope it’s gonna be a surprise.
Yep - UPS delivered it, signature required, while she was working from home. I warned her I was expecting a package, so I'm sure she thought to herself when she saw the box "oh, great, he bought himself another guitar." (It arrived in a Schecter box, lol.) When it arrived she texted me to let me know, I told her to open it up, because it was for her. She was very excited and happy!

Apparently that is the exact color she has her toenails painted when she gets a pedicure. I assume therefore that the color was a good choice. :confused:

She played it on a bass track last night, recording for one of our new songs. So it got pressed into service immediately!

I love mine. I hope i didnt twist your arm too much with my purchase:D
Might have been a bit subliminal, I dunno! I did say, when I got the Kingfisher, that I could see myself picking up a Kestrel eventually. And it seemed like a logical complement to what is now "her" bass collection!

Nice bass...I'm sure she'll enjoy it...and never apologize for the dog hair...Pretty sure we're mostly a pet-friendly group...and who doesn't sweep up an extra dog's worth of hair every couple days!!!!:rolleyes:
Oh yeah, we have two large Huskies, and they shed enough hair to pile up in a mass bigger than our third dog, a small Silky terrier.

Thanks everyone! They are great basses for the MAP price point, and the prices on the used market are generally awesome!

Yep - UPS delivered it, signature required, while she was working from home. I warned her I was expecting a package, so I'm sure she thought to herself when she saw the box "oh, great, he bought himself another guitar." (It arrived in a Schecter box, lol.) When it arrived she texted me to let me know, I told her to open it up, because it was for her. She was very excited and happy!

Apparently that is the exact color she has her toenails painted when she gets a pedicure. I assume therefore that the color was a good choice. :confused:

She played it on a bass track last night, recording for one of our new songs. So it got pressed into service immediately!
Sweet!

What do you think vs the Kingfisher? I need to get a bass for recording, the Kestrel is at the top of my list!
To be honest, I haven't played the Kestrel yet - it is, after all, my wife's guitar!

But she says that it plays just as well - action, fret feel, etc, but the slightly shorter neck makes it a tiny bit easier for her to play up at the first and second frets (like the F on the E string). She's, um, not tall..., so that doesn't surprise me. But she played fine on the Kingfisher, so not that big a deal either way.

It seems to sound a bit different - not surprising, it is fairly close to a Fender Jazz in configuration, vs the Kingfisher's double HBs making it a bit more P-bass oriented.

It really may just depend on whether you prefer the shorter 22 fret neck vs the 24, or maybe it boils down to looks for some: the pickguard on the Kestrel vs the solid wood look of the Kingfisher.

Nice!

I have the Kingfisher, also contemplating a Kestrel, looked at several red ones, nice.

Back