Why the nitro switch?

loocnmad

Specializing in Dental Law
I don't think I've ever seen an explanation for why the change. Not trying to start a debate, just genuinely curious. Were people requesting it? Is there a supposed tonal improvement?

Modern formulations and equipment can get extremely thin and durable poly finishes so it seems, at least to me, like a side step for such a forward looking company.

Most of my PRS are Poly a couple are V12 and now a coupe are the PRS version of Nitro which I understand is still a Nitro and Poly blend of a base coat of poly with Nitro or some other version of Unicorn tears.
All I can say is the newer nitro finishes on my Silver Sky and NF53 needed time to become unsticky and I don't smell the Vanilla but its better than the fish smell that I had on a couple :)

Because nitro is porous, many think that the instrument breathes seems to give a more open sound.
As mentioned in another post, despite the disadvantage, fragile to temperature changes, more maintenance, over time this will give the look from a vintage instrument and a relic look that only nitro can do, on the good side, easy to repair,

I imagine Paul determines this change as beneficial from a tonal point of view. PRS stands for prestige and high end, nitro too, so one goes well with the other!

Because nitro is porous, many think that the instrument breathes seems to give a more open sound.
As mentioned in another post, despite the disadvantage, fragile to temperature changes, more maintenance, over time this will give the look from a vintage instrument and a relic look that only nitro can do, on the good side, easy to repair,

I imagine Paul determines this change as beneficial from a tonal point of view. PRS stands for prestige and high end, nitro too, so one goes well with the other!
Not sure how much it can breathe with a poly basecoat.

No answers as to the why here, but the history shows dissatisfaction with poly on PRS’s part. The 12 in V12 is said to refer to how many years they put into working on that unfortunate finish. They used it for a while then switched back to poly. if someone spends a good couple of decades trying to get away from something, they’re probably serious about it.

I always thought they moved away from the poly because of clouding issues they were having. People always asked for nitro. So they moved toward that and resolved their clouding in finishes. Now the concern is the guitar finish is so soft. These eras of guitars will relic faster than previous. Which may not be desirable for many folks that paid top dollar for a certain finish/color to denote the flames/quilts. Then again, people pay the same price for a beat up strats, but rarely are people boasting about the beautiful woods used in a strat. Alder is nothing to go crazy about. Ash certainly can look good.

I have a couple nitro over CAB PRS' and compared to Gibson CS and Fender CS the PRS nitro feels and looks more like poly. PRS lacquer might have more plasticizers to make it more durable (unlike MJT who use lacquer so brittle that it will check if you give it a harsh look).

I'm not sure it matters much for tone as some high end boutique acoustics have used poly for a long time. I suspect it's more that the high-end guitar buyers expect "lacquer" on the spec sheet.

I honestly can't tell the difference in the finishes. I have a number of PRS with the old poly finish on them, a few with the V12 and one with the new nitro finish. I couldn't tell you of any difference in them, other than the V12 seems to be really hard and more susceptible to getting a ding or chip in it.

I have a couple of marks on my DGT that came from just handling it and having it on the bench for restringing and setup that none of my other guitars have suffered. I am very careful with my guitars and occasionally they take a very minor bump and the V12 finish is the only one I have had get any marks in it from this. One mark is from me placing a small metal ruler on the top of it to have a guide for leveling the trem. I use this on all of my guitars. For some reason it left a light line in the finish on the V12 finish where it has not done that on any of my other guitars. Outside of this, I can't really tell the difference.

Back