Why do they sell nuts in sets of two?

blaren

Title says it all. The rest is all just me thinking out loud.
I just don't get it :facepalm: :shake head:

I can see why they sell knobs in pairs. Pickups too. I understand why they sell sets of 6 tuner buttons or machines. Even 6 strings at a time but two nuts in a pack??? There was only one guitar in my case and it isn't a double 6-string necked PRS. Does PRS make a bunch of guitars that have a nut at each end of the strings?
I only got one case with my guitar too. If you order a truss rod wrench how many do you get?
Is it because they cant AFFORD to just sell one at a time?
I ordered a new steering wheel for my Jeep. Guess how many. One.

Does PRS have an huge nut surplus they are trying to liquidate? If so, send the extras to Korea so everyone can stop swapping their SE nuts.
When I buy a Tusq nut or a bone one ...I only buy/get 1.
Does PRS assume that everyone who needs a nut will naturally want to replace nuts on a second guitar too? Do they assume that we're going to fail on the first nut replacement attempt?

IDK man. It just seems very weird to have to buy TWO nuts at a time.
2 pickups maybe. 2 knobs OK. 2 strap pins YES. 6 strings of COURSE. But when I need to buy a switch, a bridge, a whammy bar, output jack, case, strap...you know, things that I could only possibly use one of at a time on one guitar, ONE will suffice please.
I hope they don't start selling NECKS!!! :-O

Maybe for guys who run repair/refurb shops? Having multiples on hand is never bad.

I've always found 2 nuts to be better than one - er - wait, we may be talking about different things....

I guess you have a point rugerpc. DOH!!!
As for selling multiples so that repair shops can have extras....ummm...if they sold them one at a time, repair shops who need more than one could buy...ummm...more than one. Using that logic, PRS should probably sell them in lots of 12. Most repair shops are gonna go through more than 2 PRS nuts in their lives.

But the 2 nuts are better than one...yeah...that is legit. Even if you're a car wheel. But 4 or 5 would be better. Actually, so when you need a lugnut do you have to buy 60? You know, one for each lug on each wheel and then double or triple that in case you are a mechanic shop or an owner of multiple vehicles? Not unless PRS gets into the car business.
;-)

Ok, I'll play again - after all, these are just theories on my part. Could it be that by the time it's packaged and shipped it costs comparatively nothing to just give you two instead of one, to make it seem like a better value for the end user? Obviously they don't cost a fortune for PRS to have made, but the packaging charge won't change either way.

No Whitecat. You're wrong and I'm RIGHT dammit!!
lol.
But for real...you can order one bridge saddle and one whammy bar and you get...one.
Even if a percentage of people who buy a nut actually need 2....the BULK of them surely only need one?
And I highly DOUBT that the PRS logic is...."well it only costs us $0.15 to make a nut and we sell them for $30 (or whatever it is)...we can surely afford to give people TWO at that price".

Sheeit...if that was the way they did business, when you ordered a $15 5x/xx pup for 200 bucks the case would come with 10 or 20 of the electromagnets/pickups enclosed. When you bought a $8K PS you would get 3.

Hey...we're playing...I know.
But it would be really cool to hear the actual reasoning/logic behind it from PRS or Shawn or something/someone. There MUST be a good reason. And I highly doubt that it's driven by guilt or shame. I doubt someone at the factory said: "Come ON!! We CANT charge 15 bucks for a 5 cent nut. I know...we'll ship two at a time. They will never USE the second nut..it'll get lost or thrown out or sold...but at least we wont feel SO bad for WAY overcharging if we give them 10 cents worth for fifteen bucks.

I am sarcastic and tongue in cheek but...I would REALLY like to know why, when I order a new hood (bonnet) for my vehicle, I only get ONE. Just like I cant use a nut as a saddle, I cant use a hood as a trunklid and so, the car manufacturers give me only one hood when I need one hood.

Shawn? Paul? Anyone??? PLEASE?

I bought a set of nuts from prs. I knew i would lose them so wife keeps them in her purse!

Back