Who wants a PS Silver Sky?

justmund

Plank Spanker
I do.

I can't get on with the switch location on a Strat (pretty sure I can say that word without the sky falling on my head) so an SS is off my radar.

I have been jonesing for a proper single coil S-type guitar for quite a while now, I did get a Tele-Strat hybrid made for me not so long ago, but the wood and construction choices were too different from a typical S-type to get me where I want to be.

Basically I want a Silver Sky/DC3 hybrid:

-Flamey Maple neck and board, impregnated finish. 10" radius etc;
-Silver Sky electronics because let's face it, they sound great, that latest JM explanation vid sold me on the sound;
-Output jack in the regular PRS spot, controls moved so the switch is way out of the way;
-Bridge/Neck in selector position 3;
-Regular headstock;
-No mention of JM anywhere on the guitar...

The only issue I see is the 635 pickups and the 10" radius, string balance might be out of whack.

Anyone else want to spec (dream) one?

I used a strat for over 20 years and never got used to the 7.25 rad neck. I kept it that long for its sound.

14" radius
1.75" nut width
ebony fingerboard
maple neck
Single coil low output (trad) neck pickup
hardtail bridge

After a couple of bad experiences. I now have something similar. Its a Fingerbone (80's English custom made).

I was pretty much exclusively a strat guy for 30 years and if I still played a strat and wanted a higher end one than I'd ever owned, I'd sure give the Silver Sky a look. But I'd give various other high end strats a look too. I had a 7.25" radius fretboard on my only electric for years and loved it, but now that I've been playing 9-10" radius boards, I haven't tried a 7.25 board lately that I liked as much. I'm open to it, but also kind of skeptical. But my strat days appear to be behind me. I've mellowed as I've aged and I play hum buckers 80-90% of the time now. And for that other 10-20%, the coil split option in the 594 gets me close enough to a true single coil sound. So, no, I don't want one. But if I wanted that type of guitar, the Silver Sky would be in the running...

-Ray

“The only issue I see is the 635 pickups and the 10" radius, string balance might be out of whack”.

I have a cased (I’m assured) Tungsten one fully paid for and hopefully flying or sailing to an airport or harbour in Oz as we speak. Actually I really hope it’s not on a boat unless it’s one of those Miami Vice type of deals. Scarab I think it was called.

As primarily a Strat dude I really don’t see that being and issue. I have Fender CS pickups in FCS guitars with 9.5 and the same pickups in FCS and other Strats with 7.25 and probably even possibly a 12” FB. I haven’t used the Fender Big Dippers, mainly CS Fat 50’s, CS 65 and 69 Pick ups. But I dont really see how JM would differ. Just adjust them as per Fender specs or otherwise as hi or low s you want to go depending on the sound your chasing. It’s the FB that’s radiused not the pickups.

I’m not arguing with you. I’m just curious as to why you see that as an issue, it’s not something I’ve ever personally noticed or considered as a possible issue before now ?

I have had other FCS pickups, Texas Specials, that I didn’t like any which way I had them set up. Then a couple of weeks ago I was at my Local shop, I’d just bought a FCS Master Built, 52’ Smoked Tele by Dale Wilson and a 63’ 3TChocolateSB Double Bound Tele. Yup I’ve crossed back to the dark side and a young dude was playing his Fiesta Red FCS 60’s relic (on lay-by) playing JM and SRV, though an awesome 30 watt Tone King amp of some description and the kid / guitar & amp all sounded phenomenal.

Oh.........and I don’t hate Strat pickup selector’s as much as the middle pickup itself. Love the position 2&4 sound , just seem to hit the damned middle p/u with virtually every strum. Don’t seem to have the same issue with my 513’s though ?

Last edited:
I’’m pretty sure I’d want to live with a stock model for a while before deciding what, if anything, I’d change on a PS model. Perhaps a BRW fretboard would be a nice upgrade?

I’ve had Strats, and while I’ve always loved what others do with them, for whatever reason, I haven’t been able to bond fully with one.

Nonetheless, I want to give a Silver Sky a try, and in my world, the best way to do that is to live with one and see how it goes. At some point I’ll order one.

My PS Silver Sky would be....

6100 Stainless Frets
Straight 14" radius fretboard
Maple fretboard with a graduated scallop from frets 10 and up.
Seymour Duncan tappable quarter pounder single coil pickups in neck and bridge. Dummy pickup in the middle ala Ritchie Blackmores Fender sig.
5 way blade super switch with positions 2 and 4 being the tapped bridge and neck. So, pretty much a traditional single coil tone in positions 2 and 4 and the full P90-ish fury of the full pickups in 1 & 5.
One volume. One master tone.
Floating tremolo with pull up rout.

Everything else I'm cool with. Just make it like a burnt orange color.

Mine would have the following:

25" scale
2 humbuckers
wide/fat carve
10" radius
normal PRS frets
normal PRS headstock
normal PRS trem & saddles (or a Mann 1 pc)
output jack moved to the normal spot
1 vol / 1 tone / 3 way switch in the usual PRS places
moon inlays

Hmmmm... something tells me I may not need Private Stock to get something with these specs

’m not arguing with you. I’m just curious as to why you see that as an issue, it’s not something I’ve ever personally noticed or considered as a possible issue before now ?
I know how much attention to detail PRS pay to everything, and one of those details would be string to string balance. If those pickups have been tuned to be equal loudness across all strings, once you change the radius (fret and therefore string), that would be out of whack.

In this case, the D/G strings would be relatively closer, E/E strings relatively further away. I might need to calculate it but it's probably a pretty small difference, maybe a mm or 2. That said, a mm can make a pretty big difference with some pickups!

Hey you don't happen to be in Melb do you?

I’’m pretty sure I’d want to live with a stock model for a while before deciding what, if anything, I’d change on a PS model. Perhaps a BRW fretboard would be a nice upgrade?

I’ve had Strats, and while I’ve always loved what others do with them, for whatever reason, I haven’t been able to bond fully with one.

Nonetheless, I want to give a Silver Sky a try, and in my world, the best way to do that is to live with one and see how it goes. At some point I’ll order one.
Hopefully I'll get to fondle one soon!

BRW is out of the question unfortunately, CITES and all that.

A Silver Sky sounds like it would complement your existing guitars, would love to hear your thoughts when you get one :)

My PS Silver Sky would be....

6100 Stainless Frets
Straight 14" radius fretboard
Maple fretboard with a graduated scallop from frets 10 and up.
Seymour Duncan tappable quarter pounder single coil pickups in neck and bridge. Dummy pickup in the middle ala Ritchie Blackmores Fender sig.
5 way blade super switch with positions 2 and 4 being the tapped bridge and neck. So, pretty much a traditional single coil tone in positions 2 and 4 and the full P90-ish fury of the full pickups in 1 & 5.
One volume. One master tone.
Floating tremolo with pull up rout.

Everything else I'm cool with. Just make it like a burnt orange color.
Sounds rad, I'd like to see that!

A Silver Sky sounds like it would complement your existing guitars, would love to hear your thoughts when you get one :)

It’d be a nice alternative sound; if I could bond with it, so much the better!

I’m thinking some time this fall might work out for getting one.

I would love to see a silver sky with a standard PRS carved top with a 3D ziricote pickguard!

Hey......where am I and what time is it?

In never liket the way the first volume control is in the way so on my parts strat I just put in a volume and tone in the 2nd and third holes. I like how on the McCarty the volume is out of the way yet close because of the carved top. My thoughts on the Silver Sky headstock is I'm liking it more and more. Even hoping PRS would switch to this larger headstock. Sometimes I think the regular headstock is too small.

So I’ve been thinking...always dangerous!

Mary Kaye (of the Mary Kaye Trio, and Mary Kaye Strat fame) was born in my home town of Detroit the same year as my mom. That’s gotta be the inspiration for something, right?

What could be more fitting, then, than a swamp ash Silver Sky in translucent cream, with a maple fretboard, moons, and gold hardware?

The trouble is, I really like the tone of the stock model with the rosewood board and alder body!

Back