Which of the neck profiles are more suited to "fast" playing?

It really is all up to personal preference. I can be speedy on just about any neck shape, but I have friends who need Ibanez Wizard thin and any bigger they just don't play like themselves. Best advice is to try out as many as you can get your hands on. I used to be a total Wide-Thin proponent and now I'm all over the Pattern Vintage shape. Total opposite ends of the spectrum.

Something about Wide/Thin or Pattern/Thin (or thin necks in general) makes me want to shred. Maybe it's the way my hand gets positioned, but I can really fly on those necks. Problem for me is, that's great for playing lead lines, but it kills my hand for playing chords.

I agree that most dudes I know shred best on a wide/thin or pattern/thin. Me? I played Jackson PC-1s for over 10 years. I shred on wide/fat or bigger. Give me the "pencil necks" and my hands crap. My advice - try a few and see how each feels!!

Which of the PRS neck profiles are the most suited to fast playing?
For speed on any guitar, wide, flat, and thin. What you lose--a good grip for vibrato, maybe some tone, and you may have trouble with your bends fretting out.

I don't play that fast but I do play faster on a beefier neck, just helps with the angle of my fingers to the strings.
So I vote for Pattern ( WF ) or Pattern Regular or DGT carve

In the end, you can play anything you want on any neck you spend time on.

I went from wizard necks only to wide fat and anything in between.

The only thing in particular that I prefer is larger radius and wider string spacing. That helps get the action on the deck.

I can get around on just about anything but for warp speed stuff I tend to shift brands over to an EBMM JP

MY CU24 with Pattern Thin is actually my fav neck carve not just for shredding. But, yeah, on a PRS, Pattern Thin is killer

Some of you already have it but I have a free book on 'fast' playing if anyone would like a copy. Again, totally free....I'm a college professor, so what do I know about money? ;)
http://gtroblq.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-free-guide-to-rock-guitar-speed.html

Paul Gilbert, to name one... He started with Ibanez wizard necks and now plays really thick ones....

For my tastes, Bonamassa is fast enough, too, and we all know what he plays. Not sure if he’d be considered a shredder, but I’m certainly impressed with what he can do. And there’s Jeff Beck, who plays a pretty wide variety of instruments, depending on what he’s doing.

Back