When was the current version of nut material for the core line released?

helliger

I have a 2008 DGT I recently acquired and was wondering if it would have come with the current nut material installed. I searched quite a bit but couldn't seem to find when this current version came about. If it uses an older formulation I was thinking I'd replace it. I may anyhow since the D string is borderline too low but if it's using an improved formulation now that would seal the deal and I'd go ahead and replace it.

I have proper nut files so I can fine tune it after installing.

Thanks

I have a 2008 DGT I recently acquired and was wondering if it would have come with the current nut material installed. I searched quite a bit but couldn't seem to find when this current version came about. If it uses an older formulation I was thinking I'd replace it. I may anyhow since the D string is borderline too low but if it's using an improved formulation now that would seal the deal and I'd go ahead and replace it.

I have proper nut files so I can fine tune it after installing.

Thanks
I am pretty sure that the black "plastic" nut has been around since the beginning. It is also infused with brass powder so it "self lubricates." The only PRS that would have a different nut would be the imports, and those that have switched to a bone nut around 2020.

My 2016 594 has a bone nut. My 2011 DGT has the black infused plastic nut that PRS has used for many years. I don't know if that helps at all.

I am pretty sure that the black "plastic" nut has been around since the beginning. It is also infused with brass powder so it "self lubricates." The only PRS that would have a different nut would be the imports, and those that have switched to a bone nut around 2020.
You're right, it has been around since the beginning. I didn't know that until the other day when I was reading a review from 1986.

Yeah! The shape and recipe has changed at least twice IIRC, but the functionality is about the same.

Before they changed the headstock angle the nuts were cut deeper and with little “troughs” or channels to keep the strings in there.

Edit: I didn’t mean DGTs specifically , but was referring to over the course of the company.

Yeah! The shape and recipe has changed at least twice IIRC, but the functionality is about the same.

Before they changed the headstock angle the nuts were cut deeper and with little “troughs” or channels to keep the strings in there.

Edit: I didn’t mean DGTs specifically , but was referring to over the course of the company.
This

Back