What's with all the writing behind the bridge pickup?

TMFU

Giving my used 2006 ( born 12/29/2005 ) Standard 24 a cleaning... I found the following, and wonder what it all means...

pickupscrop_zpsa8c2201b.jpg

Doh! Didn't read the entire question. But yea looks to be a Namm guitar with some specific details.

Last edited:
The white sticker is called a MODCAT. It has a barcode that tracks the guitar through the factory, but the stuff after the word "Item" is a code that tells all the features that were put onto the guitar like neck size, color, number of frets, pretty much every detail you want to know. There is a decoder here:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?6650-2013-MODCAT-Decoders

The rest appear to be hand written details about the special order for your guitar. Yours was built for the 2006 NAMM show.

Here is one (no MODCAT code) from a 2007 Cu22 (BRW) special order for comparison.

001.jpg

Looks like you have a guitar that was displayed at NAMM. I don't remember what years the Standard Satin model was produced, but it was right around that time. It might have been a new model for 2006.

The white sticker is called a MODCAT. It has a barcode that tracks the guitar through the factory, but the stuff after the word "Item" is a code that tells all the features that were put onto the guitar like neck size, color, number of frets, pretty much every detail you want to know. There is a decoder here:

The rest appear to be hand written details about the special order for your guitar. Yours was built for the 2006 NAMM show.

Here is one (no MODCAT code) from a 2007 Cu22 (BRW) special order for comparison.

001.jpg

Wow. I have one that looks just like that. Different color though.

PickupCavity_zpsd7e73a2e.jpg

Wow. I have one that looks just like that. Different color though.

PickupCavity_zpsd7e73a2e.jpg

Cool! This is what Matt (PRS) said about mine:

Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. This was a promotional guitar made for Paul Smith to demo with. The only specs I have are ones you are already aware of. It appears to be a 2007 Custom 22 with a quilt top, Brazilian rosewood neck, Paua bird inlays and headstock signature with a McCarty Sunburst finish.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars

That sounds like almost the same specs as mine except for the quilt top. There was some question whether the neck was BRW or IRW. There were absolutely no records on file for my guitar so they said it could have a BRW neck but weren't sure. Seeing as it was for Paul, they thought it was a safe guess. Fretboard is definitely BRW.

That's what I was kind of thinking or wondering about. From what I can tell, the Satin models were indeed introduced in 2006, apparently after some Satin versions of the 20th anniversary models sold well.

Looks like you have a guitar that was displayed at NAMM. I don't remember what years the Standard Satin model was produced, but it was right around that time. It might have been a new model for 2006.

So, I wonder who this Scott S. is, presumably someone who does or did work at PRS and had something to do with various guitars that might have been special orders or something like that. I also am curious about what the 'FA' is after Scott S.

A separate issue, but when I spoke with Matt King on the phone about the finish on my guitar, he'd told me that the Standard 24 was always done in a poly finish. However other research I've done seemly would indicate that all of the 'Satin' finished guitars were nitrocellulose. The hang tag that came with my guitar lists the model as "STD 24 Nitro". To be fair to Matt, he hasn't seen the hang tag or the writing on the MODCAT and/or writing under the pickup of this guitar.

I guess I should send this stuff off to PRS and see what they have to say about all this. Not that I think this guitar is anything extraordinary, but I do think it's nice to know what all this stuff means.

The hang tag...

PRStag_zps58ac17ed.jpg

001.jpg

Back