What to do with push-pull pots? Cool ideas??

OP I was wondering the same thing. I think I want a guitar with the coil split option, since it allows for more variety. But then, if I want a guitar that allows for a humbucker to be played with a single coil when in the middle position, I'm limited to the S2 Singlecut and S2 Vela. Is it cool to play with 1 humbucker and one single coil? Do you use that feature a lot? Is it worth making this option be one of the center focuses for buying a first PRS?

I have two push pulls on my ce24 with 5708s. I use bridge humbucker/neck single quite a bit.

Took some time with the out-of-phase switch. Clean it's kind of meh, but with overdrive it sounds like a cocked wah, a bit like some of the Prince solo tones. It's pretty cool, actually.

As a Brian May fan and the owner of a Red Special copy, I've always been aware of out-of-phase switching. However, I'd never really tried on a non-RS guitar until a couple years ago, when my tech at the time accidentally wired up the pickups in my first SE 7 out of phase and I started getting Peter Green-ish tones from it. After that, it became my go-to wiring mod for LP/Singlecut style guitars. (IMHO it's one of the few ways to make a guitar with humbuckers sound good through a fuzz pedal.)

You could set it up so that when you pull one of the knobs, you fart.

Just don't ask people outside of the US what should happen when you pull your knob... ;)

Been thinking about this as well. Anyone have any idea about setting up a mid boost to activate with a push/pull tone?

I went for passive options only. If you want to put a battery in your axe, then the sky is the limit, I suppose.

There are several mid/treble boosters that are made to fit into guitars. You could also easily fit an LPB-1 circuit or other clean boost/buffer.

Matt Artinger recently built the guitar on the right in the photo below for me. It has two volume controls and a master tone (what we know in PRS-ville as DGT electronics, and two mini-switches. The mini closer mini to the tone knob taps the neck pickup for single-coil use, but with a resistor (same value as on the DGT) so I get a little more than half of the output of the full humbucker. The mini closer to the tailpiece switches the phase/polarity on the bridge pickup.

With that I get the Peter Green out-of-phase effect when both pickups are active. That's cool and all, although like a MoogerFooger, it's an effect that can wear thin if overused. The other unanticipated (well... slightly anticipated but not fully appreciated beforehand) benefit is when I'm playing the bridge pickup with some gain or fuzz, flipping the polarity gives me a lot more control over the onset time and amount of feedback. With a pretty-darn-hollow guitar that has a thin carved spruce top, that's very helpful. But I would imagine it would be useful on pretty much any guitar. Next time you're on the bridge pickup, at volume, with a fair amount of gain or fuzz going, flip the bridge polarity back & forth and see what happens to how the guitar sustains & goes into feedback.

In fact I'm trying to figure out how to get that same capability happening on the PRS on the left...

13403744_1129309067123381_7949019837756386717_o.jpg

Been thinking about this as well. Anyone have any idea about setting up a mid boost to activate with a push/pull tone?
Should be a fairly straightforward LRC circuit, although since it's passive it'll be more of a highs- and lows- cut.

Should be a fairly straightforward LRC circuit, although since it's passive it'll be more of a highs- and lows- cut.

I was thinking about using an active boost like the Clapton mid boost. Keep the battery powered on all the time to avoid popping but activate the boost by pulling the tone pot up and deactivate when flush.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to properly wire it in with the push/pull to activate it. It would be going into a 408 so I don't want to add anything else or drill just replace the Tone Pot

You may want to research the TDS Passive Audiophile. I think it does the opposite of what you want -- it's a passive "loudness" button -- but it boosts output by several db passively -- sufficiently advanced technology to qualify for magic!

As a Brian May fan and the owner of a Red Special copy, I've always been aware of out-of-phase switching. However, I'd never really tried on a non-RS guitar until a couple years ago, when my tech at the time accidentally wired up the pickups in my first SE 7 out of phase and I started getting Peter Green-ish tones from it. After that, it became my go-to wiring mod for LP/Singlecut style guitars. (IMHO it's one of the few ways to make a guitar with humbuckers sound good through a fuzz pedal.)
Totally agree, fuzz works great with a out of phase setup.

Is it cool to play with 1 humbucker and one single coil? Do you use that feature a lot? Is it worth making this option be one of the center focuses for buying a first PRS?
That is actually the config I will go for IF I ever go for a custom build. 408 layout. Semi hollow, 24 fret, 408 pup at the bridge, noiseless Strat single coil pup at the neck. Two volume knobs, one stacked tone knob to control both pups, one coil split switch.

I'd use a 5 way switch, with phasing being the selections.

Last edited:
Back