What is your view on 25th Anniversary Mc Carty Narrowfield in 2024 ?

DarkskyZ

Forever noodling but loving it.
OK so let's say I have been looking for a used Mc Carty or a 594 at a price I can afford. While browsing around, I found a Mc Cart 25th Narrowfield that is in my price range.
I didn't even know that model existed to be honest but I am intrigued now and I don't found many thread about this guitar here or anywhere.

Would any of you actual owners or past owners be kind enough to give me your view on this model in light of 2024 i.e. knowing all the meals that came out since.
Would you be interested in getting now these days ? How does it fare compared to the traditional hum bucker Mc Carty ? I know it was a 1 year limited run so not many around but does that make it an interesting one to have and play ?

Thanks for any input you may have on this, that would really help me make a decision.

N.B. : I have no way to go and try that guitar, that would be an online buy from an individual.

I had one in Angry Larry for a while. It played great and offered me a different tonal palette than the other PRS' I had at the time.

In the end, it was a tone that I didn't use much. The NF pickups were sort of "squished" 57/08s. Cool, but I gravitated to my DC245 or SC245 for the 57/08 sound. For NFs, I would use my SAS NF.

Great guitar, but it was redundant in my group. There is no reason not to get it.

If what you want is one thing, but you buy another, you may find yourself still wanting that first thing. A substitute doesn't necessarily scratch the itch.

I wouldn’t describe the McCarty NF as a limited run. I’d describe it as a failure in the marketplace.

I get why they did it. But it just looks a bit strange with the massive gap between the pickups. I love Narrowfields, but optically it’s a bit strange.

Well, thinking about it that kind of sums it up for me, I am intrigued for sure but can't decide if I like it or not. In the past I have been pleasantly surprised in such cases so that's why I am asking for opinions here.
Thx

Some people swear by 'em. But you have to get past that typical guitarists' view of "it has to be standard/vintage based or I won't use it" kind of mentality. The 408--an amazingly versatile and great-sounding guitar--has suffered largely the same fate, I believe. (And the Paul's Guitar would, too, if it wasn't named directly for the namesake of the company owner/visionary right on it.)

[Food for thought: are the McCarty NF and the Paul's Guitar almost effectively the same thing? Dual narrow-sensing humbucker 22-fret guitar with stoptail? Hmm. You be the judge.]

Since really all that matters is your preference of its sound/tone/feel, I'd have to recommend that you jump on it (since they're not easy to find), try it out, and do so with one eye towards selling it if needed. Regular McCartys and/or 594s would be much easier to find & compare but the NF ones have seemingly been pushed to the back of people's closets.

I think you hit the point just right comparing it to a Paul's guitar.
I don't think it is that different from a Paul's guitar which I am not really into so I guess I should pass on this one.

Thanks for stating me the obvious I didn't really realized. I knew I was right asking here. Thanks again.

Now off chasing that 594 again...

There are more affordable used McCs out there, but the quantity varies with where you live. In Europe you are a lot less lucky than in (say) the USA or the UK.

Hang in there: you will find yours.

Last march I bought a smokeburst McC for less than 1600 euros. Guess I was lucky, but there gems out there, just have to find it. Both my McCs were cheaper than the CUs I have. Go figure ;-).

I'm in the EU so yeah, I'll have to hunt quite a bit for a nicely priced one...

Thx for your support ;)

I am a big fan of the NF pickups, but the McCarty NF is one I am more lukewarm about. NF's have a very punchy, quick attack in general and combined with the PRS wrap around, I found the feel/response a bit too stiff and strident for my liking. Not the case with my NF3 model at all.

The narrow 408's in a Paul's Guitar with a stoptail are a much better fit, IME. They are bit more open and warmer than the NF pickup, while still being a bit snappier than a full size humbucker.

I ordered a 25th Anniversary McCarty NF after playing one at the 2010 PRS Experience and still have it. It has a unique voice compared to other PRSs. The bridge pickup can get a bit thin and bright with some amps and settings. It really cuts through dense mixes but may not be the best when isolated. The neck pickup sounds great to my ears, and I really like the bridge and neck pickups together. IMHO is analogous to the Strat pickup situation where the bridge pickup alone is the least liked and used pickup selection. A few years ago, I had a Modern Eagle III from the same year and felt the same about it pickup wise so I did not keep it. I have not compared the McCarty NF to the original NF3 or the new SE NF3 so cannot offer up an opinion in that regard.

I have heard, but cannot confirm, the NF pickups have been tweaked over the years. I have a few in some newer models and they sound slightly more mellow and full (i.e., less bright and less aggressive attack).

7YjENCM.jpeg

Thank you very much for your input.
I like the NF in my SSH Ltd but then I can't have it on its own, only couple with bridge or neck 58/15 MT so I can't really tell what it sound like. Your description makes me think it is not a pickup I'd would be fond of so that conforts my confusion of giving this a pass.

Thanks !

Back