What finish is on the GG core basses?

madhermit

Anyone here know if the GG basses use the V12 finish? If not, what? It doesn't seem to say on the spec page at prsguitars.com

Thanks

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain the entire US Core line electrics use V12 now. I did find that Sweetwater has "Exclusive PRS V12 finish" listed in their descriptions for both the 4 and 5 string GG. Hope this helps.

*EDIT*

I found this in the FAQ's in the Customer Support Cener on PRS's site.

6. What kind of finish does PRS use?

In our history, most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.

In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way.

Last edited:
Back