What do you guys think of putting Burstbuckers into an SE custom 24?

bootlegnjack

I'm looking to take my SE custom 24 to a new level and after endless hours of youtubing think that I'm liking the sound of burstbuckers the best, probably pro's but maybe the 1's and 2's combo.

I live in Australia and the other option is to upgrade to the US HFS and Vintage bass but I'm having trouble finding them ANYWHERE and if I have seen them they are priced waaay more than what I can get the burstbuckers sent out from the states on Ebay, anyone got any experience or advice with how this might work out? My main concern would be losing 'that PRS tone' if I shy away from the PRS pickups.

My other upgrades will be a bone nut and grover tuners.

Do some measuring first. Some Gibson pickups have long mounting legs and may not fit correctly.

I have three in mine. Have 1,2,3. 2 and 3 are tapped. I have to agree with Seneca, the tone is not as good as other brands. Loud but alittle dull. I plan to use classic 57. Or maybe Duncan or PRS in the future. SE guitars will take deminsion of pickups. Core prs my not.

Last edited:
Burstbuckers and HFS/VB are quite different pickups. I recommend taking stock of what you want to change from the SE pickups that are in there now. Go from there to choose new pickups, or else you could end up swapping several sets while chasing tone.

The classic 57's sound pretty good to me if you want the vintage PAF tone.

You may want to consider an Aussie winder. I know Mick Brierley is good to work with and reasonably priced. He makes good stuff. I lived in Adelaide for a bit, met him a couple times and heard several of his pickups. Maybe check on guitargear.net.au for other recommendations.

Burstbuckers and HFS/VB are quite different pickups. I recommend taking stock of what you want to change from the SE pickups that are in there now. Go from there to choose new pickups, or else you could end up swapping several sets while chasing tone.

The classic 57's sound pretty good to me if you want the vintage PAF tone.

You may want to consider an Aussie winder. I know Mick Brierley is good to work with and reasonably priced. He makes good stuff. I lived in Adelaide for a bit, met him a couple times and heard several of his pickups. Maybe check on guitargear.net.au for other recommendations.

Thanks I've seen his name online when looking around for pickups in Aus, will chase it up some more.

Seymour Duncan for sure. Not a Gibson or Dimarzio fan. Burstbuckers are awfully icepicky to me.

I put Jazz/JB in my SE CU22 and love them. Was going for that Neal Schon kind of tone. Going to be trying the Custom Custom in the bridge soon as I hear that's what Neal is using now.

I think any Duncan would be good.

Meh, for the money aftermarket Burstbuckers cost you could buy a really good pickup, like a Fralin, which would be my choice. Either that or some used USA PRS pickups.

I had burstbuckers in a SESC. I liked them there. I think the tone would be a little different in a Cu24 but it could work. I later put Seth lover's in mine and they were much better. Seth's are fantastic if you are after PAF tone.

Do some measuring first. Some Gibson pickups have long mounting legs and may not fit correctly.

I had pickups that did not fit the guitar and the guitar tech fixed that problem in a day.
He cut off the excess and rebent the legs so they would fil the cavity drilled a hole and tapped it for the thread.

I would not have done that myself at the time, but now that I have modded a bunch of guitars myself I would give it a go.
Also you could measure to see if you could further route the pickup holes to accept the pickups, but if the guitar has possible value that might not appeal to you.

I had pickups that did not fit the guitar and the guitar tech fixed that problem in a day.
He cut off the excess and rebent the legs so they would fil the cavity drilled a hole and tapped it for the thread.

I would not have done that myself at the time, but now that I have modded a bunch of guitars myself I would give it a go.
Also you could measure to see if you could further route the pickup holes to accept the pickups, but if the guitar has possible value that might not appeal to you.

I had contemplated doing this very same thing but didn't gave a tap that small..

I have a Les Paul Studio, all mahagony, that I bought used. I was told that the person who had it before me put Burstbuckers in it. I never verified this to be true or not but I really like the tone of it. I think it sounds pretty good for the hard rock/heavy metal stuff. Don't really use it much for any other types of music.

Yeah, I see no reason not to put them in if they will give you the sound you are looking for. I may be in the minority, but I personally really like Gibson pickups. The Dirty Fingers is one of the all-time great pickups IMO, and the burstbuckers I have played have all been solid performers.

I had contemplated doing this very same thing but didn't gave a tap that small..

I don't know if they're available but you can check self tapping machine screws the same size I think its 3- 42 for most humbucker style pickup mounts otherwise you can also go to like a Home Depot and rent a set of taps and dies

I have a spare set of HFS & Vintage Bass. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Yeah I was thinking upgrading to the US ones from the Korean ones but not sure how much of an upgrade that would be, can't find much comparing them online.

Back