Went on a minor guitar store odyssey today...

My Blue bearded brother..Your mention of the S2 in the quest of an addition to theVelas got my attention fast. I am a Vela LOVER.. I have owned at least 5 and played tons and I now have two to keep. I have also been busy with so many models, I think for a while my teacher was thinking my GAS was outta control:cool:

I have also owned quite a few S2s Standards and I now am down to two, but one will NEVER leave. https://imgur.com/a/EYVNbkr Everything must have aligned on the day this one was made because I’ve not heard/ felt/played one like this. First the sound with the stock pups were great, and I felt this chunk “o” hog could be even a bit more unreal, so I started research on pickups. The Satin finish on the all Mahogany is to me superb. Sooooooo much better tone than the totally encapsulated skin of the poly. I am kinda ruined by the satin in a lot of ways, I love it.

I also go over every inch of it and fine tune everything ( even ever so minor) especially pup height and tremolo tweaks. These S2s are amazing, they have SO much to give, get to know your guitar , really dial it in. (This is just a statement, not one directed to you my brother or any other individual).. it just keeps getting better! But I needed “ more” (don’t we all..) and went out on a limb and bought a set of Seymore Duncan Pearly Gates.. and I experienced a sonic gasm.. My S2 stood up in front of me and went… NOW I’M HERE!!!!!!!!

Pardon my enthusiastic babble, yes, I am enthusiastic, as a Vela lover, strap on a S2 Standard, I hope you and all find the ONE..

darn GAS

My Blue bearded brother..Your mention of the S2 in the quest of an addition to theVelas got my attention fast. I am a Vela LOVER.. I have owned at least 5 and played tons and I now have two to keep. I have also been busy with so many models, I think for a while my teacher was thinking my GAS was outta control:cool:

I have also owned quite a few S2s Standards and I now am down to two, but one will NEVER leave. https://imgur.com/a/EYVNbkr Everything must have aligned on the day this one was made because I’ve not heard/ felt/played one like this. First the sound with the stock pups were great, and I felt this chunk “o” hog could be even a bit more unreal, so I started research on pickups. The Satin finish on the all Mahogany is to me superb. Sooooooo much better tone than the totally encapsulated skin of the poly. I am kinda ruined by the satin in a lot of ways, I love it.

I also go over every inch of it and fine tune everything ( even ever so minor) especially pup height and tremolo tweaks. These S2s are amazing, they have SO much to give, get to know your guitar , really dial it in. (This is just a statement, not one directed to you my brother or any other individual).. it just keeps getting better! But I needed “ more” (don’t we all..) and went out on a limb and bought a set of Seymore Duncan Pearly Gates.. and I experienced a sonic gasm.. My S2 stood up in front of me and went… NOW I’M HERE!!!!!!!!

Pardon my enthusiastic babble, yes, I am enthusiastic, as a Vela lover, strap on a S2 Standard, I hope you and all find the ONE..

darn GAS

Thanks for the enthusiastic babble, it's much appreciated :). I'm leaning heavily towards a Standard 22 Satin, and probably a set of Wolfetone Dr V pickups to go in it...though I'll have to look at the Pearlies as well :D

Thanks for the enthusiastic babble, it's much appreciated :). I'm leaning heavily towards a Standard 22 Satin, and probably a set of Wolfetone Dr V pickups to go in it...though I'll have to look at the Pearlies as well :D

I have a wolfetone Dr V in the bridge of my SG and neck of an LP. I absolutely love em..I have several of his pickups in multiple guitars. You really can't go wrong dealing with Wolfe.

I know Kustom was based in Cincinnati for a while, wasn't sure if he lived here during that period or not...we also have Reeves amps based in Cincy. Had a friend that had one and it was indeed a really sweet sounding amp.

I’m wondering if the speaker was replaced with a ceramic magnet speaker, that would explain the weight difference. While my much loved Tech21 Trademark 60 is being repaired, I’m playing through a late 40’s Tweed pro clone with 2/12” ceramic mag speakers. I don’t particularly like the sound of ceramic magnets in guitar pickups, but love the sound of ceramic magnet speakers.

Your VHT D50 should be a great amp!

As I've heard it, the former owner of Bat Cat had a nasty falling out with James Brown. The current owner knows the story, but he won't repeat it, due to the passing of JB. The amp has that 4 position tone switch, that James Brown was known for. They can't say it, but it basically sets the low end for: Blackface, Tweed, Vox or Marshall.

The speaker was replaced with a ceramic magnet speaker. It isn't marked, but it looks a lot like a Celstion Seventy 80. I was going to replace it with a neodymium speaker, but the current speaker seems to be as light. Plus, it's broken in and sounds good.

Last edited:
I have a wolfetone Dr V in the bridge of my SG and neck of an LP. I absolutely love em..I have several of his pickups in multiple guitars. You really can't go wrong dealing with Wolfe.

I had Dr Vs in my R7, always regretted not taking them out before I sold it. Wolfe is, indeed, awesome - as are his pickups.

Your VHT D50 should be a great amp!

As I've heard it, the former owner of Bat Cat had a nasty falling out with James Brown. The current owner knows the story, but he won't repeat it, due to the passing of JB. The amp has that 4 position tone switch, that James Brown was known for. They can't say it, but it basically sets the low end for: Blackface, Tweed, Vox or Marshall.

The speaker was replaced with a ceramic magnet speaker. It isn't marked, but it looks a lot like a Celstion Seventy 80. I was going to replace it with a neodymium speaker, but the current speaker seems to be as light. Plus, it's broken in and sounds good.

I didn't know JB had died, that makes me sad - what a great designer.

My VHT is indeed a great amp, I can't get over how much I love it.

I had Dr Vs in my R7, always regretted not taking them out before I sold it. Wolfe is, indeed, awesome - as are his pickups.

I agree. I have an import LP copy I'm selling and almost certain I'm going to pull his pickups and wiring before I sell it,.even if I just let it go as a husk.

I didn't know JB had died, that makes me sad - what a great designer.

My VHT is indeed a great amp, I can't get over how much I love it.

Sorry Aahzz, I looked up the post from John Thompson, the current owner of Bad Cat. When he said that James had died, he was referring to James Heidrich. Heidrich had law suits with Mark from Matchless. I guess my reading comprehension is going, in my old age. James Brown, wasn't even referred to in his post.

Sorry Aahzz, I looked up the post from John Thompson, the current owner of Bad Cat. When he said that James had died, he was referring to James Heidrich. Heidrich had law suits with Mark from Matchless. I guess my reading comprehension is going, in my old age. James Brown, wasn't even referred to in his post.

Well that's good news for James Brown. I wonder if his Amptweaker business is going well...

Back