Well I went to 9s...Arthritis got the best of me...lol

Russ73

I finally succumbed to putting 9s on my PRSi, started with the Mira and it really made a difference in my finger and wrist pain so IM gonna do it on my 2 Standard 22s in the next week...Started with 10s, went down to 9.5s, was a good compromise...now IM settling at 9s...to new playginnings!

I finally succumbed to putting 9s on my PRSi, started with the Mira and it really made a difference in my finger and wrist pain so IM gonna do it on my 2 Standard 22s in the next week...Started with 10s, went down to 9.5s, was a good compromise...now IM settling at 9s...to new playginnings!
Anything to keep playing. Strings are made down to 7s so keep hanging in there as long as you can.

I have a friend who has issues with his left hand thumb. He's gone down to 8's and it has really helped alleviate his thumb problems. Part of it I think is that it has forced him to use a lighter touch so his left hand is in a more relaxed condition while playing.

"Playginnings"! I like that. About a year ago when I started working bending, at the suggestion of someone, I went to 9's. This was to make it easier until I built up strength in the digits. I started with my Paul's and used it when practicing the bends. I then put them on my HB and my Strat. I'm not convinced I have given up that much tone. It's going to be a while b4 I go back to thicker ones.

I'm using 8-38s - they're much slinkier / easier to bend than 9-42s if you decide the 9s are too much.

I've been using 9-42 Super Slinkys from day 1; getting quality tone hasn't been a problem.

I've got no problem with going lighter, but I do hear a small difference. I'm still at home on 10's but I've considered putting 9's on one just to see if I can get used to it.

I would always choose to drop a string gauge instead of not playing. Glad your hands are doing better.

Whatever it takes to keep playing. Changing brands can also affect tone and string tension.

I've got no problem with going lighter, but I do hear a small difference. I'm still at home on 10's but I've considered putting 9's on one just to see if I can get used to it.

Even when I was a youngster I preferred 9s because I was practicing a lot and playing in a band; they made playing easier and less tiring. Yes, you can hear the difference, but you can compensate with amp settings ;)

Well I put the 9s on my S2 Standard 22, oddly enough the intonation was very close if not dead on so I left everything just had to raise action a tad, BUT the back of the trem is now sitting on the body but not tightly, when I bend the trem moves up...I kinda like it can I keep it this was or do I need to remove a spring and adjust the claws...I know the trem is designed to float but this is great for drop D and such...

Well I put the 9s on my S2 Standard 22, oddly enough the intonation was very close if not dead on so I left everything just had to raise action a tad, BUT the back of the trem is now sitting on the body but not tightly, when I bend the trem moves up...I kinda like it can I keep it this was or do I need to remove a spring and adjust the claws...I know the trem is designed to float but this is great for drop D and such...

Just adjust the claw. Shouldn't take too many turns. You shouldn't have to remove a spring.

I've been using 10-46 for the last 4 years... my new SE has 9-42 and it feels like i'm playing rubber bands lol however, I am starting to prefer them!

I started on 9s and played them for years. Changed to 10s about a decade ago, but I am beginning to think like you are! I tried some 9.5s a while back and they worked fine. I still have a stock of 9s from way back... need to see if they still in usable shape after all these years. When my fingers won't do the 10s, I'll be joining you!

Back