Well I went to 9s...Arthritis got the best of me...lol

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Russ73, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:37 AM.

1. Russ73

Russ73 New Member

I finally succumbed to putting 9s on my PRSi, started with the Mira and it really made a difference in my finger and wrist pain so IM gonna do it on my 2 Standard 22s in the next week...Started with 10s, went down to 9.5s, was a good compromise...now IM settling at 9s...to new playginnings!

dogrocketp, bodia, dmatthews and 6 others like this.
  2. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

Anything to keep playing. Strings are made down to 7s so keep hanging in there as long as you can.

bodia and Black Plaid like this.
  3. Lacire

Lacire New Member

Nothing wrong with Billy Gibbons playing on 7-38.

bodia likes this.
  4. GADonis

GADonis New Member

I have a friend who has issues with his left hand thumb. He's gone down to 8's and it has really helped alleviate his thumb problems. Part of it I think is that it has forced him to use a lighter touch so his left hand is in a more relaxed condition while playing.

5. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

"Playginnings"! I like that. About a year ago when I started working bending, at the suggestion of someone, I went to 9's. This was to make it easier until I built up strength in the digits. I started with my Paul's and used it when practicing the bends. I then put them on my HB and my Strat. I'm not convinced I have given up that much tone. It's going to be a while b4 I go back to thicker ones.

dogrocketp and bodia like this.
  6. Collywobbles

Collywobbles New Member

I'm using 8-38s - they're much slinkier / easier to bend than 9-42s if you decide the 9s are too much.

bodia likes this.
  7. Victek

Victek New Member

I've been using 9-42 Super Slinkys from day 1; getting quality tone hasn't been a problem.

8. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I've got no problem with going lighter, but I do hear a small difference. I'm still at home on 10's but I've considered putting 9's on one just to see if I can get used to it.

Victek likes this.
  9. Nightfall

Nightfall Guitaraholic

I would always choose to drop a string gauge instead of not playing. Glad your hands are doing better.

10. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

Whatever it takes to keep playing. Changing brands can also affect tone and string tension.

11. Victek

Victek New Member

Even when I was a youngster I preferred 9s because I was practicing a lot and playing in a band; they made playing easier and less tiring. Yes, you can hear the difference, but you can compensate with amp settings ;)