So totally out of the blue, I am HAMMERED with arthritis in my fingers.

I've had tendinitis for years. it sucks. this past week it's gotten worse. i was hoping it was weather related but it's freaking summer. :dontknow:

I've had tendinitis for years. it sucks. this past week it's gotten worse. i was hoping it was weather related but it's freaking summer. :dontknow:

I feel your pain. Chronic tendinitis in both shoulders. I still do exercises three times a week to fend it off.

FWIW (and I am a bit older) I had a touch of that recently. Instead of throwing rocks. it was some heavier cleanup work in the back 40. Obviously put some stress on three fingers in my RIGHT hand. As it happens, our next rehearsal had me playing more bass than guitar (fingerstyle). After that, it was extremely sore for a couple of days. Fortunately, it has largely subsided (and did not spread to my left hand). But that stuff happens more often (and takes longer to heal) than when I was younger and more active (inc long distance running). As per above advice, shy away from things that put unusual (or just different) stresses on joints and other body parts.

And I am sure there is at least a touch of arthritis in there too.

I also tried the "hot wax" treatment and it seemed to help......Most likely by the heat speeding up blood flow.

Good luck.....I know how much I cringe when I look at some really nice instruments here and poinder the thought of being limited in playing them!

This gettin old stuff is for the birds for sure. It's getting harder for me to stand 9-1 then drive home late at night or morning. I hope you find relief soon. Good luck.

Im back. Been away for a while because I really could not play much, it was just to painful. I was taking about 6 Advil a day, and trying to not over do anything. Nothing was really helping, and then I woke up one morning, and everything seemed to be MUCH better. My little finger on my right hand where it started still hurts pretty bad, but no where near enough to think of having it removed anymore. My other fingers are ALMOST back to normal, as it had spread to most fingers on both hands. I can play now, and feel no pain at all. :) I guess it was an arthritis "flare up" just like the doctor said. One thing that did happen, and I seriously wonder if its related. I am in a very stressful relationship and we live together. She went away for a week to visit 2 of her kids in Florida for a week, and it was the second day she went away that the pain went away. She gets back tomorrow, so we will see what happens. Coincidence?

Im back. Been away for a while because I really could not play much, it was just to painful. I was taking about 6 Advil a day, and trying to not over do anything. Nothing was really helping, and then I woke up one morning, and everything seemed to be MUCH better. My little finger on my right hand where it started still hurts pretty bad, but no where near enough to think of having it removed anymore. My other fingers are ALMOST back to normal, as it had spread to most fingers on both hands. I can play now, and feel no pain at all. :) I guess it was an arthritis "flare up" just like the doctor said. One thing that did happen, and I seriously wonder if its related. I am in a very stressful relationship and we live together. She went away for a week to visit 2 of her kids in Florida for a week, and it was the second day she went away that the pain went away. She gets back tomorrow, so we will see what happens. Coincidence?

dude. That brings tears of laughter to my eyes! Glad you're back

I'm 64 now. My x wife created super mega intense stress in my life for over fifteen years. I'm glad I completely disassociated myself from her. I made out great in the divorce. I have been living with my fiancée for five years tomorrow, and she is the greatest. We have a peaceful and very low stress relationship, which I really appreciate. I think that super mega high stress situation with my x had definite health consequences.

Life is so much more liveable now, relaxed, and free of the fear of waiting for when the next shoe would fall.

I wish I would have moved on to a more peaceful relationship long before I did. Time waits for no one; and there is no going back - so I am appreciative for what I have today.

My fiancée even buys me real nice guitars, like an American Standard strat (brand new) and a brand new PRS SE Tremonti Custom black/grey flame most recently. I can dig this situation. Plus she is real good looking and "hot". I wish I would have met her a long time ago. We have a lot of fun together and enjoy doing things at home, travelling, etc.

Good luck with the health issue. Be thankful that there are things that they can do for it to help you - pain killers, etc., and that it is not something that they can't do anything about and that could kill you, stone cold.

Try to keep on playing. I thought I heard playing guitar was good therapy for arthritis.

The bolt of lightning down through the hands may be Carpel Tunnel syndrome. I have it in both hands and got the electric shock/lightning bolt a lot in both hands for no apparent reason at times. It (CT) def had/has an effect on my grip and playing ability. The hands can go to sleep because the median nerve is being pinched by the small carpal tunnel and it needs to be cut and released so the nerve can flow. Its sort of like when you step on a garden hose and what happens to the water stream when it is crimped. . I had the CT Release surgery last year on my right wrist and the symptoms are gone in that hand. Now I have to do my left hand. It is fairly simple surgery these days although you are in a cast for a few weeks and no guitar playing for at least a month. YMMV but that may be something to get tested for. Good luck to you.

Really helpful thumb exercise. It is also good for warm up before playing guitar. But then when I feel its like arthritis I take some medicines like celecoxib 100 mg. It is better to prevent serious treatment.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your arthritis. Might be worth your while to find a good physical therapist who can give you some hand and finger exercises to do that may help somewhat. I woke up one morning with tingling in my right pinky and index fingers and a stiff upper back. I had lost most of the movement in the 2 fingers. Went to a therapist who pinpointed where the pain was really coming from (spine), did a number of massages over 2-3 weeks and gave me exercises to do. Within a month tingling had stopped and I had 95% of the movement in the 2 fingers (which I can live with).

Thanks again for all the useful and nice replys. I seem to go through spurts of it. A few weeks back, my entire body felt fantastic. It lasted for about two weeks. My entire body felt like I was 25 again. No pain ANYWHERE, loads of energy, my knees and fingers felt perfect, and my sex drive was even through the roof again. I wish I could bottle whatever it was that was going on with me. Unfortunately, its now long gone, and back to the low side. Pain in my fingers, knees and ankles, headaches, and just feeling really down. A total life change is probably what I need. Thanks again for all the help, its greatly appreciated I promise. :)

I'm 64 now. My x wife created super mega intense stress in my life for over fifteen years. I'm glad I completely disassociated myself from her. I made out great in the divorce. I have been living with my fiancée for five years tomorrow, and she is the greatest. We have a peaceful and very low stress relationship, which I really appreciate. I think that super mega high stress situation with my x had definite health consequences.

Life is so much more liveable now, relaxed, and free of the fear of waiting for when the next shoe would fall.

I wish I would have moved on to a more peaceful relationship long before I did. Time waits for no one; and there is no going back - so I am appreciative for what I have today.

My fiancée even buys me real nice guitars, like an American Standard strat (brand new) and a brand new PRS SE Tremonti Custom black/grey flame most recently. I can dig this situation. Plus she is real good looking and "hot". I wish I would have met her a long time ago. We have a lot of fun together and enjoy doing things at home, travelling, etc.

Good luck with the health issue. Be thankful that there are things that they can do for it to help you - pain killers, etc., and that it is not something that they can't do anything about and that could kill you, stone cold.

Try to keep on playing. I thought I heard playing guitar was good therapy for arthritis.

Great post, and this may be a big part of my problem. I am trying to sort through it all now. Great to hear it worked out really well for you!

I had a sports injury 9 years or so that left my pinky with a very bad sprain that took a few years to get back into shape. Then the Ulnar nerve (numbness in the pinky and side of ring finger) started which is quite common and "cramping" in the forearm started. The best remedies that worked for me (and I tried a lot including a Neurologist); stretching hand/forearm before playing, going to a RMT a few times a year, Osteopath (helped tremendously with the cramping/arthritis) and regular weekly exercise.

I am going to throw in some general info. There's a reason retired professional athletes many times wind up with chronic pain, bad joints, arthritis, and almost crippled as a result of the abuse to their bodies. What anyone that does repetitive action type activities does in this regard is similar, and yes, the more you do of it, over time, the more likely it is to have a profound impact on your health.

So, there's the physical side of things. Listen to your body. If it hurts some today, it may hurt like crazy 1-2 days from now. The worse pain is generally delayed a day. IF you are in your 50s, and you start saying oh I feel like I am 20 again, and start trying to play tennis like when you were 20 or ski, or whatever. Your body is going to say, oh no your not! The other day I had to clean my gutters out on back of my house, it always involves getting this huge heavy ladder out, and of course going up and down it about 10-15 times, hanging from one hand while working with the other, leaning. After I did this, without a lot of other activity leading up to it, my legs were so sore 2 days later. It took me a couple of more days to put that pain to rest.

Speaking of rest, don't underestimate it's importance. Get 7-8 hours sleep daily. Rest your body. Do all physical activities including playing guitar or drums in moderation.

Stress too can play a key roll in general health. Keeping stress down is a key to a healthy body.

I deal with some arthritis, muscular cramps, am on a Dr. regiment of supplements. at 58, it's no picnic. But as long as I realize my limits, I can do some things I enjoy, and save some for later. I'm not hang gliding, ,bungee jumping, sky diving, or zip lining, or water skiiing. I'm not 20 anymore, and realizing it, and doing things in moderation is key to saving one's body for the future we have left. That doesn't mean quit, but it does mean be smart about it.

Yes, I have fought some knuckle and hand pain. My folks had real bad knuckles by the time they reached their 70s. I pretty well know what the future holds. But at 58, I'm pretty good shape in that regard. I noticed my Sister has some knuckle enlargement, and she's 4 years older than me. Oh, I am a computer guy too, so 25 years of that with my hands on a keyboard. It's a wonder my knuckles aren't like Keith Richards already. Lucky so far. Fingers crossed gently... Keep playing.

I had frozen shoulder for a year after injuring myself doing too much with that big ladder. I'll get some help if I need to paint my eve vents again, and not try and be superman like last time. It took a long time to moderately heal from that injury. I'll be smarter next time. I had very limited movement for a long time on my right arm and shoulder and it was painful. Nursing it, by protecting it from over-exertion for the next 6-9 months, helped me eventually get pain free from it. I lost some motion with my hand up my back side with my right arm, but I still have my left. It's not painful now, I just don't have quite the range of motion I did. Protect your body, you only get one.

Doug

I'm having some issues currently. I've been away for a few months because I just got depressed thinking about guitars. Really missed interacting with you all, but I just couldn't do it. I've been diabetic for 38 years and it's taking a toll. My hands were suddenly burning, needles and pins, numb, feeling like I had sunburnt palms. Random crazy painful stuff, and I don't know that much can be done for for neuropathy. I went to the doctor and gave me some braces to wear as much as possible.

20141216_195118_zpsal0ua2pm.jpg

I didn't hold much hope, but after a few weeks things seem to be 90% better on the left and 95% better on the right. I go back to the doctor next week, but I was able to play some guitar with my son over Christmas. :rock: Maybe there's hope.

I didn't hold much hope, but after a few weeks things seem to be 90% better on the left and 95% better on the right. I go back to the doctor next week, but I was able to play some guitar with my son over Christmas. :rock: Maybe there's hope.

Get better Rob!!!!!

Man, it sucks to hear about people having difficulties. Tag, I know guitar is important to you. I really hope that you get some resolution that lets you get back to playing.

There is a real connection between mental and emotional stress and health. Your general outlook can have a significant effect on health and healing after an injury.

Tag, you seem to be a volatile fellow, going from highs to lows and back. I don't mean that as an insult or a criticism, it's just an observation based on what you write here. It may have no basis in fact. But just the emotional ups and down can be contributing. I would suggest finding a way to even out the highs and lows so that they are not so dramatic. I may be as simple as consciously deciding that you will not let things yank your chain as much as they presently do. I say simple, not easy. There are still plenty of things that get me really worked up that I should probably be ignoring or less stressed about. I've gotten better about some things and I note the progress in my own general attitude as a result.

You should also consider moderation in physical activity. You wrote that there was a spell where you felt 20 again. What did you do? You acted 20 again physically. What would have happened if you had ramped up your activity a little instead of all the way to 20? My guess is that that physical high may have lasted a LOT longer. I think you may have traded away a long term gain for a short term burst. I have physical good days and not so good days too. I try to enjoy what the good days bring without overdoing it and understand that I am the age I am and the day is a gift not to be abused, but rather appreciated.

Moderation in medications too. You wrote that you were taking 6 Advil a day - in what time frame? 8 hours? 12 hours? The maximum dose for Advil is 800 mg in 8 hours. Any more than that and your are risking liver and kidney damage as well as pancreatitis.

Has your rheumatologist ruled out gout?

Also, DO NOT start lopping off body parts.

Rob, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles too. I hope you get back to playing soon, but don't rush it. Heal so that you don't exacerbate or re-injure!

I am going to throw in some general info. There's a reason retired professional athletes many times wind up with chronic pain, bad joints, arthritis, and almost crippled as a result of the abuse to their bodies. What anyone that does repetitive action type activities does in this regard is similar, and yes, the more you do of it, over time, the more likely it is to have a profound impact on your health.

Yup.. Probable arthritis developing in both of my hips from climbing many many mountains over the years...and I'm only 38.

Back