* Weird Question - Pre and Post-2007 Custom 24 Pickup Positions *

sgtsteiner

Hello All --

Once upon a time, I had a 2006 Cu24 which I loved. My favorite position was the rich/full single coil sound in the "7" position (if "10" were the bridge) or "4" position (if the bridge were "1"). That position was a very convincing single coil sound with plenty of juice.

Recently I've been looking at a late 2007 Cu24. It has the three way switch with push-pull for single coil on the tone pot. I know the tonal options are somewhat different between the two, but here's my main question --

Does the post-2007 three-way version get that same "7" position single coil sound from earlier pre-2007 models?

I have no idea what made the 7 so good -- if it was outer-coils, bridge and neck bucker, inner-coils, bridge and neck -- but to me it was an essential PRS sound. I'm hesitant to grab a newer model if it doesn't have some version of that built into the 3-way/push pull settings.

Cheers and many thanks in advance for any help!

Hello All --

Once upon a time, I had a 2006 Cu24 which I loved. My favorite position was the rich/full single coil sound in the "7" position (if "10" were the bridge) or "4" position (if the bridge were "1"). That position was a very convincing single coil sound with plenty of juice.

Recently I've been looking at a late 2007 Cu24. It has the three way switch with push-pull for single coil on the tone pot. I know the tonal options are somewhat different between the two, but here's my main question --

Does the post-2007 three-way version get that same "7" position single coil sound from earlier pre-2007 models?

I have no idea what made the 7 so good -- if it was outer-coils, bridge and neck bucker, inner-coils, bridge and neck -- but to me it was an essential PRS sound. I'm hesitant to grab a newer model if it doesn't have some version of that built into the 3-way/push pull settings.

Cheers and many thanks in advance for any help!

I think if you were to purchase that with the 3 way and the push/pull coil tap, I'd buy a 5 way rotary switch and have it wired in the old traditional PRS CU wiring scheme.
I forget which coils are active in the middle position of the 3 way when coil tapped.

Yeah, that's exactly what I need to know -- which coils are active in both pre and post 2007 Customs for the dual single coil sound.

I seem to remember one or two positions actually using a single coil on one pickup and the other pickup in humbucking mode.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/core/custom_24_2018

That's 2018 5 way blade, but I think it was the same on the older PRS rotary switches.
Of course the pickups might be HFS/Vintage combo.

The Custom 24 is the quintessential PRS guitar. This iconic instrument was the first model that Paul Reed Smith brought to the public at PRS Guitars’ first Winter NAMM show in 1985 and has been a top seller ever since. Played by internationally touring artists, gigging musicians, and aspiring players, the Custom 24 features PRS’s patented Gen III tremolo system and PRS 85/15 pickups with volume and tone controls and a 5-way blade switch. 85/15 pickups were personally designed by Paul Reed Smith to offer remarkable clarity and extended high and low end.

The Custom 24 is the original PRS. Since its introduction, it has offered a unique tonal option for serious players and defined PRS tone and playability.

Pickup Switching Positions

Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/prs-rotary-pickup-positions-defined/

Q: I understand the PRS pickup switching that has the 3-way toggle switch, but what exactly do the five positions on the rotary switch offer in terms of pickup combinations and voicings?

A: On all PRS CE Bolt-On, Standard, and Custom models, there is a 5-way rotary hybrid pickup switching system. This system is not offered on the company’s Singlecut or McCarty models. Here is the breakout: (Note: The switch position numbers below refer to the number displayed on the knob as the rotary switch is turned; this isn’t a 10-position switch…)

• Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone
As you can see, this switching and pickup configuration offers a number of interesting and “non-standard” voicings.

[QUOTE="
  • Position 10: Humbucking treble (bridge) pickup alone
  • Position 9: Outside coils of both pickups in parallel for what PRS calls a “deep and clear” sound
  • Position 8: Series single coils – PRS describes this as a “warm version of the classic in-between the bridge and middle pickups”
  • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Here PRS describes the sound as a “crisp version of the in-between the treble and middle pickups”
  • Position 6: Humbucking bass (neck) pickup alone
[/QUOTE]

My 2010 Custom 24 with a 5-way blade does these same options.

@jak3af3r - Thanks man. So it appears the blade choices are the same as the old school 5 way rotary? And what's below is the three-way with push-pull?

(Three Way with Push Pull?)

Position One: Bridge humbucker
Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel
Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers
Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel
Position Five: Neck humbucker

The blade positions are different from the rotary.

They both will give you Neck HB, Bridge HB, and inside split coils (old 7 on rotary).

Number 8 on the rotary (for most of its tenure) was inside coils in series. 9 was outside coils in parallel.

The blade gives you both humbuckers and Bridge HB with inside coil of neck pickup instead.

@garrett - So we're saying the old 7 rotary position was definitively inside split coils in parallel? That gives you the nice, bright "Straty" sound PRS intended?

@garrett - So we're saying the old 7 rotary position was definitively inside split coils in parallel? That gives you the nice, bright "Straty" sound PRS intended?

You got it. It's noticeably Strattier on the 24 fret guitars because the pickups are closer together than on the 22 fret models.

When you see a PRS with the toggle and push/pull, it is going to split to outside coils. So the middle position of that setup will be outside coils in parallel (rotary position 9).

As said above, the blade combinations are different from the rotary positions. From what I understand, 2011 was the first year I remember seeing the blade as standard and 2010 had it as an option.

MY personal 2010 custom 25 has the old rotary pickup combinations with the optioned blade switch.

When you see a PRS with the toggle and push/pull, it is going to split to outside coils. So the middle position of that setup will be outside coils in parallel (rotary position 9).

@garrett - Okay, so what I'd need to do is have a three-way/push pull rewired so the middle position is INSIDE COILS in parallel instead of the stock outside coils. Then I'll have my old school 7 position sound the way I like it. Pretty simple re-wiring for my tech or is this complicated somehow? More specifically, can this even be done?

Cheers and thanks for all your help, by the way!

Last edited:
Back