Weekend Project: Yet Another Studio Re-Do

I saw this technique in action at Experience one year and have been on the hunt for an old, beat up road case ever since. Problem is, those cases last for ever, so there aren't any available. :( But yeah, it worked perfectly and the ambient noise was whisper quiet.

I found something better. The Rivera Silent Sister. It's designed with ports so that odd pressures from air moving in a closed box aren't formed, that would affect the speaker cone and mic capsule.

Brilliant design, actually. My son turned me on to it.

It's on my list.

Just finished ordering the acoustic treatment for most of the room. Will only need diffusion at the rear to complete the project now. :top:

Last edited:
I found something better. The Rivera Silent Sister.

Nice coincidence Les....I just ordered one of these today. I've been very impressed with their Rock Crusher Recording unit...I plan on using the two units together in (hopefully) interesting ways. The Silent Sister is becoming very popular...I've been told to expect it'll take around 10 weeks for my order.

The Rock Crusher is a very cool piece of gear. Tell me, which Silent Sister did you order?

The Rock Crusher is a very cool piece of gear. Tell me, which Silent Sister did you order?
Options for speaker were V30 or G12T (both 75 watt), or G12H-30 (30 watt) all at 8 ohms. For covering black carpet, black tolex or tan tolex (a perfect match for your DG30). I would have preferred the G12H-30 all things being equal, but since I want to use it with some higher output heads...I got the V30 with carpet covering (which appeals to my 80's nostalgia). You may be able to order other options from Rivera...but that's what my dealer (Sweetwater) had to select from...they custom order each one from Rivera and don't keep stock on hand. I have several other speakers to swap with the V30 if necessary. Wish the wait was shorter...I'll keep myself entertained with the Rock Crusher Recording in the meantime.

I think you made the right choice; you'll get a ton of use with a variety of heads, and you won't have to worry about blowing up the speaker.

If I decide to keep it in the studio area, I'll get the Tolex, but it seems smarter to just keep it out of the way, on a Gramma platform, in my storage area. After all, it's not like it's designed to sound good in the room like a regular cab.

For that kind of use, I think the carpet is a better choice, and I'd just plug it into a wall jack I can run an amp cable to.

Similar thoughts to mine Les. Not worth the extra 100$ to pretty it up...it's going in the closet. Planning on running it off the Rock Crusher Recording speaker out...likely without much attenuation (if any), then I can use the voiced line out with a different (hopefully complementary) speaker EQ profiles to "double track" the guitar sounds.

Similar thoughts to mine Les. Not worth the extra 100$ to pretty it up...it's going in the closet. Planning on running it off the Rock Crusher Recording speaker out...likely without much attenuation (if any), then I can use the voiced line out with a different (hopefully complementary) speaker EQ profiles to "double track" the guitar sounds.

I'm a big believer in playing the part twice when double-tracking. The whole point of double-tracking is to have the parts be slightly different so that phasing occurs between the two tracks. It is this phasing and the inevitable detuning caused by the fingers playing two different parts that makes a double-tracked part fat and interesting.

This can't be achieved by simply recording another amp or emulator at the same time, even if the so-called "solution" is to also move one track forward or back in time a few milliseconds.You can come kinda close using an automatic double tracking machine or software, but I think you'll find that the results are somewhat inferior to simply playing the part twice.

Just my suggestion after many years in the studio.

Here's a studio re-do update, as the MiniTraps I ordered arrived. After some experimentation with placement straddling the corners to theoretically trap more bass, I found that placement flat against the front wall near the corners actually gave me a more coherent overall sound, so I installed them that way.

The tall cylinder behind the computer monitor is an ASC Tube Trap to diffuse the sound bouncing off the middle of the wall, something I hadn't planned on needing, but again, it is an improvement. It'll now be replaced with a RealTraps product to match the other stuff.

Warning: failure to adhere to the Schefmanian weekend philosophy can result in the following:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3926/14407462893_159dafd7c7_z.

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3851/14200683398_628838a760_z.jpg

The former can be quickly remedied, the latter... that's gonna be an unfortunate summer tattoo.

Where was this advice last weekend Les???

Andy...your keyboard player must be reeeeally short...aha never mind...didn't read all the posts...great minds!!

Last edited:
Thanx guys!

I emailed the RealTraps folks to find out which product to replace the tube trap I have between the speakers with that'll match what I have, and they suggested another MiniTrap or a Mondo Trap, that will both absorb bass like the Tube Trap, and also offer some diffusion. So this is going to be easy and not very expensive. Which is a good thing!

I also ordered a second Great Gramma to sit under the new cab to reduce structure borne vibration as with the Mesa cab, and there is a new modular Isoacoustics product made for larger cabs as well that will soon be available that I'll also add.

The RealTraps are significantly more effective (at least, in this installation) than my far more expensive ASC Tube Traps were. I'm pretty darn happy with them.

Last edited:
That turned out really nice. The "functional and attractive" aspect of those RealTraps is, well, attractive. Can they be painted or is that a standard color?

That turned out really nice. The "functional and attractive" aspect of those RealTraps is, well, attractive. Can they be painted or is that a standard color?

The fabric is an odd-looking spun fabric that I don't think would be paintable, but it works so well I wouldn't even want to try to mess with it. They come standard in white, wheat, black and grey. I picked white, obviously, which is sort of a mottled off-white. I thought a dark color would make the room feel too closed-in.

However, they can also be bought with Guilford fabric, the burlap looking stuff you see on tons of office furniture and office dividers, in all the Guilford colors. I'm not fond of Guilford fabric, but if you order it that way they wrap it around the frame for a more uniform look.

The frames are powder-coated, so they're not shiny, and the traps look less ugly in person than in a photo. Most importantly, they work really, really well.

Eventually, I'll re-mount them with stand-off brackets instead of the picture wire type mounting I used. These are steel brackets that RealTraps offers, to mount the stuff an inch or two from the wall surface, and you don't get that tilt near the top like you do with a picture-style hanging method, where the tops are further out from the wall than the bottoms. There are mounting rails for the bracket on the back of each trap, so they don't show in the room. It takes three brackets per trap, so for me that's a permanent commitment I'll put off for now!

I used the single screw/picture wire method to minimize holes in the walls until I make sure everything sounds the best I can get it. I'll switch to the more permanent brackets once I'm confident that I can't improve the sound by moving things around a little.

Last edited:
Back