Was My SE Custom 24 a Lemon or Should I Give Them Another Shot?

MeanMrMustard

Hi guys,

I am new to the forums so any help would be appreciated.

I recently purchased an SE Custom 24 (Non-Anniversary edition) from Guitar Center and have just returned it. While I LOVED the way it felt, I had to have it setup multiple times because the truss rod would move within a day or so. Even before the truss rod shifted, it would go way out of tune within a minute of tuning, even if I didn't use the tremolo or string bends! Keep in mind that part of the setup included cutting the nut, though I had it set up for 09's so it it probably didn't need much adjusting anyway.

Now, I have done some research and seen that the nut and tuners are not very good, but it's hard for me to imagine that they are THIS bad. It doesn't seem like PRS could ship a guitar that is pretty much unusable stock. It's particularly baffling because the SE models are praised for the QC considering they are imports.

Normally I'd just buy a better guitar, but more expensive models from Fender, Gibson, etc. don't play nearly as easy for me. So my question to you is, does this seem normal to you or should I try again? Or if this is par for the course, are there any other guitars that have the versatility and thin neck of the SE for under $800 new or used? I could probably stretch my budget by a few hundred if it were an amazing deal.

Thanks a lot!

Sounds like it you may have just gotten a bad guitar. Unfortunately, everything that comes out of GC is pretty much used since they let just anyone abuse the guitars within reach (I remember once I went in to GC and saw a woman letting her 2 young kids beat the hell out of a pretty nice Fender 60th Anny Strat, smacking it, dropping it, picking it up by the strings and trem arm... this went on for 3-4 minutes before someone finally came and put them in their place).

I'd say give the SE another shot, my SE Custom 24 did take a little bit of set up, but after I got it how I liked it, and replaced the nut, it's been great, so great, I still won't get rid of it now that I own more core models than SE models now... once my new shipment gets here, lol.

Sounds like it you may have just gotten a bad guitar. Unfortunately, everything that comes out of GC is pretty much used since they let just anyone abuse the guitars within reach (I remember once I went in to GC and saw a woman letting her 2 young kids beat the hell out of a pretty nice Fender 60th Anny Strat, smacking it, dropping it, picking it up by the strings and trem arm... this went on for 3-4 minutes before someone finally came and put them in their place).

I'd say give the SE another shot, my SE Custom 24 did take a little bit of set up, but after I got it how I liked it, and replaced the nut, it's been great, so great, I still won't get rid of it now that I own more core models than SE models now... once my new shipment gets here, lol.

Haha that doesn't surprise me. Even though I told GC the reason I was returning it, they immediately put it right back where it had been before I bought it, and for the same price of course.

Yeah I was considering replacing the nut, but I would have to pay someone to do that in addition to the cost of the nut. Then if that didn't work I would have to replace the tuners. Since lots of people replace the stock pups on top of that as well, it just got me thinking if it is really worth it.

If you're not doing a lot of heavy trem use, the guitar shouldn't be having that kind of problems. The tuners are fine, unless you use the trem a lot. I actually keep the stock tuners on most SE's now. Definitely give them another chance, try Sweetwater for a good setup and support.

But in their defense, they do have a great return policy and that's exactly what it's for. That one definitely merited returning.

Yes, I say give them another chance. When the 24/7 came out in purple, I immediately ordered one new, so it never hit the floor. I have a couple SEs, and the only guitars I'm having trouble keeping in tune are an old Carvin with a Floyd Rose (and I think I'm getting the hang of tuning a guitar with a Floyd Rose) and a cheapass Ibanez that I didn't get from a store so no return policy that probably has a stripped truss rod or some such. (I was young and stupid and vulnerable.)

Last edited:
I have two of them, both purchased this year. Both stock except for raw nickel silver metal covers on the pickups that I put on.

I have not had any truss rod problems - this would be a "major" problem and a definite reason for a return.

I always dress the nuts on my guitars, especially the trem ones and try to find any "binding" strings, or where there is any resistance when putting the string in and pulling it out of the slot. I think string binding at the nut is the most common cause of trem guitars going out of tune easily. If there is binding all you have to do is hit the trem moderately one time and the guitar will be out of tune because the strings were not able to return to their tuned state.

These are two of my most favorite guitars. They are both really, really nice guitars in my estimation and at my purchase level.

When you get your new one check for binding or pinching of the string at the nut and use fine sandpaper to sand away some of the "sides" of the sticking slots - do not sand the bottom of the slots, just the sides until the string can be put in and taken out of the slot with zero resistance.

If you're not doing a lot of heavy trem use, the guitar shouldn't be having that kind of problems. The tuners are fine, unless you use the trem a lot. I actually keep the stock tuners on most SE's now. Definitely give them another chance, try Sweetwater for a good setup and support.
Not so sure about Sweetwater. My buddy bought a SE 245 Standard last month, when it arrived the bridge was tarnished and the anchor stud had chipped chrome. Funny, those didn't appear in the online picture of the guitar. SO - what goes in that their 55 point evaluation ? He contacted his "sales engineer" and finally he got an email direct from PRS apologizing and that they (PRS) would be sending him a new bridge. I've read too many comments from Sweetwater shipping damaged instruments that supposedly went through their evaluation process.

Not so sure about Sweetwater. My buddy bought a SE 245 Standard last month, when it arrived the bridge was tarnished and the anchor stud had chipped chrome. Funny, those didn't appear in the online picture of the guitar. SO - what goes in that their 55 point evaluation ? He contacted his "sales engineer" and finally he got an email direct from PRS apologizing and that they (PRS) would be sending him a new bridge. I've read too many comments from Sweetwater shipping damaged instruments that supposedly went through their evaluation process.

I've read, and experienced, just the opposite. The two I've purchased in the last two months have been perfect, and shipped to me within 2 days of ordering. They do a large volume, so statistically there's bound to me a couple of bumps in the road, but if I had had a chipped bridge or whatever, I would've immediately called them up, they would make it right, pay for return shipping, etc. Griping about it on the internet won't help that much.

As far as the OP goes, I would try another SE Custom 24, and try Sweetwater. Since he added he could add a little bit more, it might be worth it to try a S2 Standard 24, they are only a little over a $1k (mine was $1037 to be exact, no birds). Better nut and tuners, better pickups and electronics too. Not quite current Core standards, but not that far off. Something to ponder at least.

A defective part can happen on any guitar. In fact, some parts (examples: pots, tuners, switches) come from third party suppliers even on Core models.

Of course the SE is 100% made by a third party supplier to PRS specs and PRS has the courage to say so right on the back of the headstock.

The important thing is that the SEs are very good guitars, and have very few issues like the one you've mentioned. Are there going to be guitars with a defect? Sure. You make a lot of any widget, and there will be some defects and errors. But you probably picked the guitar you picked for a reason - be it feel, or tone, or looks, or whatever floated your boat in the first place.

So the solution is simply to do what you did, return the guitar, and get a different one. No need to worry over it in any case; PRS is incredibly supportive of their warranty, and will do backflips to correct a defect.

Yeah I don't buy guitars from GC anymore. Sweetwater is where it's at. Unparalleled customer service and return policy. Got my SE 245 back in 2012 from them and it was flawless right off the truck.

Haha now the bridge pickup has no signal when the coils are split. Man I just don't know...third time's a charm?

I don't even like the sound of most split pickups when on single coil. They don't sound like a strat or tele.

None the less, the guitar should have came to you in perfect shape.

If you buy from GC, or you bought it from GC, ask the salesman or manager to go in the back and try to find a new one in the box. The floor models, as stated earlier are actually "used" guitars from all the abuse they get from all kinds of customers.

What model did you get? Maybe the split works but you need to do something you're not doing.

I'd say to order from Sweetwater or americanmusicalsupply.com, no affln., or Musicians Friend. All have fast delivery and I have had good luck with all of them.

I don't like to buy from GC if I can avoid it, which is almost always.

What model did you get? Maybe the split works but you need to do something you're not doing.

I'd say to order from Sweetwater or americanmusicalsupply.com, no affln., or Musicians Friend. All have fast delivery and I have had good luck with all of them.

I don't like to buy from GC if I can avoid it, which is almost always.

I got the Se Custom 24 30th Anniversary. Now it's working again, so fingers crossed. Yeah I picked a different store this time but I will order online next time. I've never liked the thought of buying a guitar without playing it, but look where that has got me.

I got the Se Custom 24 30th Anniversary. Now it's working again, so fingers crossed. Yeah I picked a different store this time but I will order online next time. I've never liked the thought of buying a guitar without playing it, but look where that has got me.

For all non PRS guitars I agree with you. But with PRS (new) I will go to a store, play the model that I want, make sure I like it, then order from Sweetwater. Given the PRS strictness for quality PLUS Sweetwater's drive for quality and excellence, I will buy from them site unplayed all day long. And in the one in a million chance that you do have a problem, they will bend over backwards to make sure you're taken care of.

Man its too bad they don't pay me to market for them lol. I think I'd be good at it.

You should be good as gold, MeanMrMustard, by going with Sweetwater on your new SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary. I have now gotten 3 guitars from them and all of them without exception have been absolutely flawless. One was an A10E acoustic, one was an S2 Vela, and another an SE Custom 24 30th Anniversary that I had ordered with the stock pickups replaced with a set of 59/09's and the strings changed to 10's with specific instructions to make sure the nut was adjusted for the heavier gauge and the intonation was correctly adjusted. They did all this perfectly. All I did was play them out of the box after making sure the tuning was spot on for this South Carolina climate and that can change quite often, so nothing out of the ordinary there. It should go without saying that I never touched any of them until the day I took them out of the box in my living room. I will not hesitate to buy sight unseen from them again. You should be good on all accounts here. They are as fanatical as PRS, IMHO. in making sure the customer is happy.

Back