Upgrading an SE 245

JustSayMaybe

I am new to this forum so apologies if these questions are in the wrong place! Anyway, I am buying an SE 245 this week. I am having the shop swap out the factory strings for a heavier gauge set (10-46) and do a full setup on the guitar to accommodate for the new strings. Will it be necessary to file the nut to accommodate the new strings? Would it make more sense to just replace the nut with a graphtech nut instead?
I also wanted to ask anyone who has owned an SE 245 if they think it is worth the money to upgrade the tuners as well. I have seen a few people say they felt the stock tuners were sub par. If you have upgraded yours, what did you use? Any other recommended upgrades? Thanks in advance for any info!

I have upgraded the tuners to locking ones, Grover 406C. I was also thinking of upgrading to a Graphtec nut as mine seemed a bit sticky initially. Instead I put a drop of D'addario lubrikit in the slots and everythings rock solid now, so I don't feel the need to change the nut. As you're asking the shop to put 10's on it they will probably file the nut to accommodate the strings. Some pencil graphite or the lube will also help.

Welcome! The SE245 is a great guitar and a perfect platform for upgrades. I have had one for about a year that I have done a few mods/updrades to (which I foolishly almost sold a few weeks ago and am now quite glad I didn't - I love the guitar). I put in PRS US pickups (Tremonti treble and Vintage bass) and that made an enormous difference. Well worth the money. Also put on some US strap buttons, lampshade knobs, locking bridge studs and a vanity truss rod cover.

For the nut, the stock one can easily be filed to accommodate the 10's. When I put them on mine it required a very minimal amount of adjustment. If you want to go Graphtec it would be a good opportunity to do it, but might I suggest using a PRS US nut? They are pretty much a drop-in replacement and already slotted for the 10's.

I though for sure I was going to change out the tuners when I first bought mine and It didn't take long to realize there is no need (at least for me). I think the stock ones are very good qualiy and I have experienced no tuning stability issues at all. No need to change 'em, although I know a lot of people have and they can share their experience with you.

+1 on the tuners being good quality, I think problems with the nut are what give people the misconception that the tuners are bad.

Graphtech locking studs and adjustable stoptail are awesome. More mass than the stock aliminum stoptail, and deeper tone IMO.

I have only upgraded the tuners so far to locking ones. I am going to put a set of clear knobs on it and swap the p.u's out for a JB/59 zebra set. I have the orange quilt top 245 SE

Back