Upgraded Vela Saddles to ...

funky

... Mastery !!

y3mRyCmKoYJREJA1iigESX5BcSU7TvLeJofTYy11hNwl3GVw1vDYPcq5YVmNZ1KvcZlyDWu-DMG4tgLZHruPmqCfGnFHxsLAaDGkIunVvbg0tiecZmAVG8rBR576ePhY97h7l0zG9G0eNk-X0Fo3B2_MKTXQa2ovC2HEeCCCPZQiR0

Fits like a glove...mostly. I used the intonation screws that came with the mastery bridge; it's 1 inch vs the original Vela's 1.5 inch. You can see the saddles are closer to the string latch because the screws are shorter.

I didn't determine if the original Vela screws fit the masterly saddles, but perhaps I'll try them on when I change the strings next time. I thought they wouldn't fit so I didn't try. I would appreciate it if someone's also done this modification and found 1.5 inch long screws that work with the mastery and can let me know where to purchase them! I imagine the threads are common enough...

I haven't tried a Vela yet, but what do you like better about this bridge than what it came with? Does it still intonate well with the shorter screws?

The saddles can pivot on the Mastery whereas the original are set at a fixed angle...similar to the way standard PRS hard tails can only be height adjusted at the ends. The inner swivel screws on the mastery allow the saddles to pivot.

I did not have intonation problems but I didn't know if I could get *better* intonation because of the set parameters. If there were intonation problems with the mastery, I would return it. But I think I'll keep it, and maybe look for longer screws so it looks better. I'll use the original for backup. Some experience with Mustang and cheap Les Pauls intonation problems pointed me to the mastery, which I heard was very accurate. And of course, the Vela's saddles are obviously based on it... all the more reason for me to try the inspiration.

Cool, glad you're happy with it! I'll keep it in mind in case I end up with a Vela and don't love the bridge, but I haven't heard a lot of complaints about it so my guess is I'd be good with either one. :)

That looks bulky, sharp & uncomfortable imho.
Too close to the string slots as well.....
Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock saddles.

Your guitar though.....as long as you like it...

On the Vela I briefly had, I lowered the saddle all the way down to where it was touching the bridge plate in order to get the action where I wanted it and still thought it was a little on the high side. The neck was adjusted correctly. Are the Mastery saddles taller or shorter or the same?

The stock saddles are bulky (has more volume) compared to the mastery even though the stock has less corners (it's practically cylindrical).
The mastery is definitely shorter but I don't like low action so I didn't test how low it could go. The string grooves on the mastery are deeper (better stability?) so the action can get very low imo.

I'm surprised I may be the only one who prefers the Mastery... oh well, it's good to be unique.

Anyway, I was curious of this picture floating about the internet showing the Vela bridge with swivel screws..
I suppose during production, it was discovered mastery has a patent on this feature.

prs%2Bvela%2Bbridge.jpg

Not to play master of the obvious but why not six individual saddles? Two screws and saddles cannot cost that much. Both look cool but wondering on the functionality.

I'm no luthier but from my own limited experience, with six saddles you have 2 screws on each saddle so first you should make sure that both screws per saddle have level/equal footing otherwise if one is short it can create buzz or movement. Multiply that six times and the hassle builds. Also each saddle has one string downward pressure so transfer to the body is less and the screw may turn/vibrate. Awhile back, I purchased screw glue just to keep the them from vibrating. Less moving parts = more stability. I reason this is why the PRS hard tail is one-piece.

For an expert opinion, you could check the mastery website for a write up on their design.

Not to play master of the obvious but why not six individual saddles? Two screws and saddles cannot cost that much. Both look cool but wondering on the functionality.

2 more intonation springs
2 more intonation screws
2 more holes drilled
6 smaller, more precise castings/millings instead of 2
12 height screws instead of 4
More time to assemble and adjust...

Everything adds up.

Even with 6 "independent" saddles, when you adjust one, it can/will affect the entire bridge, especially the neighbor saddles, and they may need readjusting.
One has to repeat the process until the intonation is right across all strings.

THE STOCK INTONATION SCREWS OF THE VELA FIT THE MASTERY SADDLES SWIVEL!!!

SCORE!!

Wish I tried fit them on in the first place!

Wider view ...

y3mKjZy3z2sjjcxpuF47ZXvS5I9UxABwteOibjVKoCxZFij55Nx7vt3KBQkWEA1EYVfdRxIV0ANff1R21M_HTk-4_ArYV_ac7opFMAxOfoMTSXzIc9HhKXYkfwc6_O_xhJvmqFEPSOa5OKGXEgh1Jhex8MmQTw0HkyjjKqwoCzHaSU

And yes, I do think the mastery provides better intonation than the stock saddles

While I can't speak about the mastery, I will admit that my Vela is perfectly intonated. And I did do a very minor tiny bit of adjustment (after Sweetwater's magic to accommodate my request for the lowest possible action due to my hand surgery), it is absolutely spot on! So, I can't see any advantage to switch. Thanks to the powers that be... but as we always say, YMMV.

Back