Upgrade Project: Silver Sky Tuner Swap

0DPF4HW.jpg
sj3egHA.jpg

I went for kluson locking tuners in my new SS SE. I’m in love with the Kluson Locking revolution series. This one is nickel finished. I can’t stand plastic tuner buttons as they feel so cheap. All this and saved $50 off prices of the SS locking tuners. Really pleased with the results
Where did you get the truss rod cover? If I'm not mistaken, the CORE SS cover is a bit short for the SE.

Where did you get the truss rod cover? If I'm not mistaken, the CORE SS cover is a bit short for the SE.
A quick call to your friendly PRS Customer Service should clear that up for you. It's how I learned about the PRS Vintage-Style Locking Tuners and SS/SE SS compatibility. PRS can at least give you a "unified" answer. Elsewhere you may receive a divided response...

Hmm, would have been easier to just tell me Lol
Sure, but I personally didn't know. I also didn't know that there was a difference between the SS Core and SE truss rod cover sizes. That's why I mentioned PRS Customer Service; they have a better answer regards fit. It would have been presumptuous of me, so I referred you to PRS Customer Service, who does know.

Sure, but I personally didn't know. I also didn't know that there was a difference between the SS Core and SE truss rod cover sizes. That's why I mentioned PRS Customer Service; they have a better answer regards fit. It would have been presumptuous of me, so I referred you to PRS Customer Service, who does know.
Oh, I thought you were being vague on purpose. That's on me, my apologies. Customer service is great! They know me pretty well at this point (good or bad?! Ha!). I removed my CORE cover and tried it on my SE, and to my surprise it didn't fit. That's how I knew it didn't fit. I guess when I was looking for an SE TRC there hadn't been anyone making them yet. I'm glad Brosef suggested Reverb. About to place on order for mine. Thanks guys

Oh, I thought you were being vague on purpose. That's on me, my apologies. Customer service is great! They know me pretty well at this point (good or bad?! Ha!). I removed my CORE cover and tried it on my SE, and to my surprise it didn't fit. That's how I knew it didn't fit. I guess when I was looking for an SE TRC there hadn't been anyone making them yet. I'm glad Brosef suggested Reverb. About to place on order for mine. Thanks guys
No worries. You had already tried swapping truss rod covers, so you knew. PTC could have told you the same. Just happy that @Broseph was able to direct you to the solution you were hoping to find. Have a great evening!

Project sure, but build?

That's the head scratcher ;)
Little project. An upgrade, which compared to a house, would be a renovation. Some light demo, then replacement with an upgrade.

The reason I'm using an illustration (word picture) is so you can remember it better. Build may not be an accurate phrase, but upgrade would be.

There. The title now reflects the accurate description.

I didn’t mean to imply that my weed eating is not a project. Used to be, 35 minutes of riding the mower, 20 minutes of push mower trimming. 15 minutes of weed eating. Since we fenced in the back yard for the dogs, it’s 35 minutes of mowing, 15 minutes of push mowing trimming, and 35-45 minutes of weed eating.

I didn’t mean to imply that my weed eating is not a project. Used to be, 35 minutes of riding the mower, 20 minutes of push mower trimming. 15 minutes of weed eating. Since we fenced in the back yard for the dogs, it’s 35 minutes of mowing, 15 minutes of push mowing trimming, and 35-45 minutes of weed eating.
No worries. Our landscaping crews take care of our apartments, and I, like you, also own a weed trimmer when I might need assist my neighbor care for his backyard patio weeds which encroach on my garden. I've not made the regular excursion into his backyard this year, though, yet am hoping to do so before his vines/weeds push further through my fence line...just need to clear it with him (the neighbor is unable to do his own yard work because he uses a walker and cannot stand/walk for extended timeframes...forget using power tools...)

No worries. Our landscaping crews take care of our apartments, and I, like you, also own a weed trimmer when I might need assist my neighbor care for his backyard patio weeds which encroach on my garden. I've not made the regular excursion into his backyard this year, though, yet am hoping to do so before his vines/weeds push further through my fence line...just need to clear it with him (the neighbor is unable to do his own yard work because he uses a walker and cannot stand/walk for extended timeframes...forget using power tools...)
My fence is 10" off my property lines on both sides, so I do have to go in both neighbors yards to get that trimmed. But weed eating is harder than push mowing and way more work than riding, and since we put the fence in, is now the longest chore of the three phases of mowing. My biggest gripe is not the additional work, it's that after running the weed eater for 45 minutes to an hour, I can hardly play guitar even several hours later after I'm cleaned up and everything. That thing really aggravates the arthritis in my hand!

My fence is 10" off my property lines on both sides, so I do have to go in both neighbors yards to get that trimmed. But weed eating is harder than push mowing and way more work than riding, and since we put the fence in, is now the longest chore of the three phases of mowing. My biggest gripe is not the additional work, it's that after running the weed eater for 45 minutes to an hour, I can hardly play guitar even several hours later after I'm cleaned up and everything. That thing really aggravates the arthritis in my hand!
Yeah, I know what it's like to put in a hard work day, feel tried, and need a good cool shower. I try to find time for household chores whenever I can, but typically need a recovery day from work, because sometimes evenings following work don't end until 3 or 4 AM. Takes me that long to unwind. I don't self-medicate or try to drink alcohol too much, which would produce sleep and feeling tired the next day. My boss expects me to be awake, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for work each week, so taking a shower before work helps with that.

Am currently watching my garden and ceramic planters. Most notable are my scallions, which are doing substantially well despite the dry conditions the past week...will give them a drink in a minute...needed to set outdoors my resin herb planters because they had been overwatered and had fungus growth. Will uproot, replenish soil and replant from seed soon, bringing them back indoors.

Much better. And I’m not shy to use kluson locking ones. If/when I decide to get another Silver Sky I will swap the tuners. I hated the plastic tuner buttons.
Year later but agree completely. I just put Kluson revolution locking tuners in Gold, in my new se McCarty 594. I kept the orig grommet and they slid right in, with the exact same footprint… if Vintage style locking tuners are a direct replacement, that means the Kluson revolution locking tuners will slide right in the grommet and cover the same foot print… not sure if anyone else noticed, but it seems like the screws that come with the kluson revolutions are just a tinnny bit smaller jn diameter than the stock screws that were in the se vintage stock tuners.. it ended up working perfect and they’re completely solid… ordering another set for my new se silver sky that’s arriving tomorrow. Need to read through the forums and see what people have ton about the knobs.

Back