Upgrade GAS

grausch

So I have been happily playing my Bernie for a couple of months now and thought it would be time for an upgrade. Had a look to see pricing on the internet for some "better" PRS models and liked what I saw of the CE 24. We have a PRS dealer in town and I decided to have a look at their stock.

Luckily for me, he had a Tobacco Sunburst in stock and I got to play it for about 15 minutes. The CE 24 really did everything well - it stayed in tune with tremolo use, the satin neck is just lovely, the pattern-thin neck profile was quite comfortable coming from the Bernie, it sounded good, etc. While paying that much for a guitar is probably silly if you consider my skill level, it is within budget, and as long as I enjoy playing it, who cares? :p

The store also has 2 SC 245s, one with 85/15 pickups and one with 57/08 pickups. Before leaving I decided to try the one with the 57/08s. After hitting the first chord, I had a huge grin on my face - guess I am just a singlecut guy. Compared to the CE 24, it sounded huge. I really hate it when a guitar does this and it really throws my plans off quite a bit. It is over budget, very similar to the guitars I already have and I have no real good reason to buy one. Unfortunately I did not have a Bernie with me, but I am seriously considering taking one to the store and then A/Bing then 2 guitars. I have a very strong suspicion that the Bernie with BKP Mules will hold its own very well against the SC 245, but at the same time, I still feel the need to just get the SC 245.

As I was leaving and then just talking to the owner about my observations, he received delivery of a gorgeous 594DC which is more than double over budget. At that point, I just had to leave lest I find myself lusting after that one...

I know this is pretty subjective, and I know there are some threads about this already, but still would like to ask - to those who own several PRS guitars (from SEs to PS guitars), what is the biggest difference when playing one of the Core or better models?

For me the differences remind me of the law of "diminishing returns". Is it more fun to play a Core vs. an SE? Yes! But when you stop and analyze it, there isn't that much difference between them. The SE holds its own against the best. So what are you paying 3x or more the price for? Hard to say and it's different for everyone, but to get that last bit of tone, or that last bit of playability, or to get that lovely flame or quilt, we are willing to open the wallet. There are those who can keep logic to the fore and not long and dream of owning a Core, and for them the SE is a worthy instrument. For the rest of us, we need to satisfy the GAS for more. I've got a Bernie and I don't plan on selling it. But I also own Core SC's and I'm happy I do.

If you have the cash and can satisfy the GAS without upsetting the budget, go for it! But I at least recognize that it's more for want than need.

Yeah, you have definitely hit the nail on the head regarding diminishing returns. The Bernies are just do damn nice that it makes it hard to justify spending much more on a guitar.

At the same time I also don't wish to have tons of guitars at home - I would much rather have one or two very good ones. So, I decided to avoid the guitar store, just upgrade my Bernies to my liking and save up for a 594. Pretty tough to let the SC 245 go...

The difference between good and great are usually very small things, and i accept that the reasons i pay a lot more are small. Its like the difference fractions of a second make when looking at athletes run a 40 yard dash, in football thats a difference of millions of dollars. Most premium services in life are not extremely better, but they are better still. I bought an SC245 expecting to develop ideas about what i don't like and what i would do to change it, im six months in and i still cant find any, its total satisfaction which is hard to find wih anything in this life, and to me that makes it worth it.

The difference between good and great are usually very small things, and i accept that the reasons i pay a lot more are small. Its like the difference fractions of a second make when looking at athletes run a 40 yard dash, in football thats a difference of millions of dollars. Most premium services in life are not extremely better, but they are better still. I bought an SC245 expecting to develop ideas about what i don't like and what i would do to change it, im six months in and i still cant find any, its total satisfaction which is hard to find wih anything in this life, and to me that makes it worth it.

Well said. You can buy a Chevy and get from place to place just fine. You can buy a Ferrari and get to the same locations but the experience is different. You have to pay for that experience of course, but to those who can and wish too, it is worth it.

Hey man huge custom 24 fan, but I gotta say my 2007 single cut is amazing. it has a fat neck, definitely the thickest I own, but I got so used to it. Loaded with 57/08s, the tone is soo good and coil tap is probably my favorite out of all the others.

Yeah, I guess one of the main benefits of getting a SC 245 over the Bernie would be that it is perfect out of the box. Before buying my first Bernie I already had a list of planned upgrades. I suspect once the Bernie is fully upgraded it will be a pretty close contest.

My main guitar before the Bernie was a 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe which I still have but gets played very little. I would say that it almost feels as if the SG has the slight edge in build quality - I would guess tolerances were perhaps just a little tighter on the SG than the Bernie. At the same time, once I upgrade the bridge on the Bernie I expect them to be on par with regards to build quality. However, right now I do not notice it unless I sit and compare the two guitars in one sitting. So I understand where the extra $s go...

Right now, I will just save up for a 594. I will just lose less money that way...

Well said. You can buy a Chevy and get from place to place just fine. You can buy a Ferrari and get to the same locations but the experience is different. You have to pay for that experience of course, but to those who can and wish too, it is worth it.
Yeah, but would you want someone to learn to drive on a Ferrari?

Pretty sure most people have seen this before, but here is a youtube video comparing the a SE Custom 24 vs a Custom 24. I found it quite interesting and think it just highlights that the SEs are amazing guitars.

I have not played a Bernie I did have a Tremonti SE while it is a fine guitar it was not in the same league as any of my Core PRS.
I 100% believe the woods, fit and finish and yes sustain and tone are noticeably better on a core over an SE.
Not to say SEs or MIM F guitars or even Epi can't be great but I can feel the difference and its worth the $$$ to me

People talk about a point of diminishing returns with guitar models. "Well, at X level you get better this or that, but you reach a point of diminishing returns."

Truth is, the point of diminishing returns comes at having a functional guitar vs having no guitar.

After that, all improvements and refinements cost more, and some cost a lot more.

We all want the good stuff; it's only a matter of what one is willing to part with to get it. Back in the day when I was starting out my own business, I decided to be the best boss I ever had. So I equipped myself with the nicest stuff I could get.

Sometimes that was easy, sometimes it was hard. But it was something I followed through on.

It's not silly to be good to yourself if you can.

Well, GAS got the better of me. Found a nice 20th anniversary Standard 24 with a natural satin finish for a very decent price. Will post some pics once I receive her.

I will now have a "proper" PRS to compare to the SEs, as well as my SG Deluxe. I expect it to be a close fight on all counts...

Well, GAS got the better of me. Found a nice 20th anniversary Standard 24 with a natural satin finish for a very decent price. Will post some pics once I receive her.

I will now have a "proper" PRS to compare to the SEs, as well as my SG Deluxe. I expect it to be a close fight on all counts...

Nice!

Those 20th standards are sweet guitars, congrats!

Back