Update: I'm really liking the Dragon pickups in this '97 CE22!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Maybe I'd feel different if it was the only guitar I had, but I'm loving the sounds I'm getting from this guitar.

Can't wait to take it to a blues jam and show it off.

Maybe it's the maple neck and alder body that brightens it up compared to the mahogany neck and body of my '95 CU22?

But this CE22 sounds killer,

I even like the sounds I'm getting from the rotary switch! It'd be nice to have the two humbuckers combined sound, like a Les Paul. But I don't really miss it.

I'm enjoying the 2, 3 and 4 single coil sounds too! Never did before.

It's funny because I've owned these pickups before and didn't like them. But in this guitar I do.

It's nice to have a humbucker guitar with a vibrato that works too! I set it up to float and I can raise it a semitone or do a little dive bombing too.

Only change I'm going to make to it is I'm going to put some Phase 1 locking tuners on it as soon as they show up in the mail.

I guess someone removed the originals and replaced them with some nice Schallers that fit perfectly with no alterations.

Found some Phase 1's on Reverb and I'll put them in next week.

I'll put these W. Germany labeled Schallers on Reverb.

Been selling a bunch of stuff there. Acoustic guitars, pedals, delays and what not. Just stuff I don't use.

Last edited:
Great looking guitar
Yes. I'm super grateful to have it.

Love having a vibrato that works on a humbucker guitar.

Had a MusicMan EVH with a Floyd but I like this better.

Sounds better, plays better and looks better.

Reminds me of a '58 or '59 Les Paul.

My girlfriend loves it too! :)

Last edited:
I have seller's remorse for getting rid of my '95 CE. The Dragon Bridge pickup was unbelievable.

I thought CE's around 1994 and later had Mahogany bodies. My '95 did.

I have seller's remorse for getting rid of my '95 CE. The Dragon Bridge pickup was unbelievable.

I thought CE's around 1994 and later had Mahogany bodies. My '95 did.
I've not liked the Dragons in two other CE and CU PRS guitars I've owned but I guess I must be getting more open minded in my old age.

These sound great!

Maybe it is mahogany, but it sure looks like alder. It doesn't have the grain or filled pores of finished mahogany.

The back is pretty transparent and I can see the grain clearly. It doesn't look like any mahogany I've ever seen.

Last edited:
You said you’re missing the sound of the two humbuckers together? That’s position 3 of the rotary..

You said you’re missing the sound of the two humbuckers together? That’s position 3 of the rotary..
I don't believe it is. I thought it was one coil from the neck and one coil from the bridge in series, to create a humbucking pickup more or less in the middle.

I didn't think it was but I could be wrong.

Seems to be one coil from the neck and one from the bridge in series. Which is the way the two coils in a humbucker are wired. So it sounds like one wide humbucker that's sort of in the middle.

I could be wrong.

Back