Unpopular opinion: with the 24-08, there's no longer a point for the CU24

For my tastes, PRS could stop making all of their 24 fret models and it wouldn't bother me one bit. I can play them but they are just not my preference. The 22 fret models just feel like home for me. I am not a big fan of splitting pickups. I tend to never use the splits on the guitars that I own that have them. I have completely forgotten that some of my guitars have them and have been surprised when I pull on a knob just to see and it pops up. I really love a guitar with an HSS pickup configuration. I love the sound of a true single coil in the neck and middle. That is how my Suhr became my most played guitar once I received it. I would love to have a 22 fret piezo equipped PRS with HSS pickup configuration to it. I would like to have two of them, one trem the other stop tail. I have thought about doing this with private stocks but the price has gone a little crazy for me as well as the lead times.
I don't own any 24 fret guitars because i don't love the way the neck humbucker sounds on them. I grew up on Gibsons and Fenders and the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar sounds unfamiliar to me. Don't like it for either rhythm or lead.

I don't own any 24 fret guitars because i don't love the way the neck humbucker sounds on them. I grew up on Gibsons and Fenders and the neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar sounds unfamiliar to me. Don't like it for either rhythm or lead.
I own exactly 3 24 fret guitars. They are some of the first that will go when I thin the collection down. Two of them are very nice high end guitars. One of them is my CU24. I have had it for many years. I think the reason I have held on it is because it is the second PRS I ever bought and it is the OG of the brand. Another one of them was a 6k guitar 7 or 8 years ago. It would cost every bit of that or more to build it again today. It is a Suhr custom set neck modern. It is a beautiful guitar that plays great but I just don't reach for it like I do the 22 fret custom I had them build. The last one is an old Hamer Diablo. It is one of the early ones with the reverse headstock. I bought it from a friend because I thought it was cool and he was in the mood to move it so I got it for a decent price. I never play it. It spends all of it's time in a case. It is just a cool part of history for me.

I own exactly 3 24 fret guitars. They are some of the first that will go when I thin the collection down....

Interestingly, I'm the opposite here. I'm finding it harder and harder to play 22 fret guitars, leading me to contemplating selling my rosewood neck'd '08 Custom 22, to fund another Custom 24 purchase. Something that goes well against my long-standing position that one should never sell guitars, only buy. ;)

It's a wonderful guitar, and my first Core line PRS. But, if I just don't bond with it anymore due to the fit, feel, and simply what I'm used to, it doesn't make sense for it to just sit there. And, Lord knows, there are many more guitars out there I'd like to have in my stable.

Interestingly, I'm the opposite here. I'm finding it harder and harder to play 22 fret guitars, leading me to contemplating selling my rosewood neck'd '08 Custom 22, to fund another Custom 24 purchase. Something that goes well against my long-standing position that one should never sell guitars, only buy. ;)

It's a wonderful guitar, and my first Core line PRS. But, if I just don't bond with it anymore due to the fit, feel, and simply what I'm used to, it doesn't make sense for it to just sit there. And, Lord knows, there are many more guitars out there I'd like to have in my stable.
Hmmm, maybe we should talk trades... Mine is a 2006 Whale Blue 10 top CU24 with the rotary. It is in like new condition. If you are interested, shoot me a PM. Who knows...

Nope! I love you man, but I disagree.

Here's my beloved 30th Anniversary PS Limited run CU24.

Look ma! No mini-toggles! No coil splits! Push-pull tone knob is a Sweet Switch. Phenomenal instrument. Love having it in my studio.

You can keep the coil splits, I never used them on my guitars that had them (Signature Limited, 408. Special, 594, McCarty). And the mini toggles are an interesting concept with a significant drawback: they're way too slow to dick around with in the heat of a session or gig. It's not like I haven't owned guitars with them. I speak from experience.

I have the blade switch in another PS that isn’t a CU24. Played that guitar today, sounded great! Love the blade. Much more functional and ergonomic than the slow, ungainly 3-way plus mini-toggles. Especially with clients breathing down my neck to finish faster, faster, faster!

So yeah, I'd buy a CU24 with a blade over a 24-08 any day of the week. This one's not going anywhere, either!

The 24-08 is great if you like coil splits and have lots of time/patience to mess with the toggles. I don't.

81aB0Cr.jpg

I'm split (pun intended) on this one.

I'm not a big one for coil splits in the first place, either, unless they're the 408/multi-tap style "true" single coils, like I have on my SSH. If a guitar just has the standard split circuit/pickups, I'm just going to play them in humbucker mode - that's what they are and usually the guitar is designed to sound best that way. And I've always loved the 3-way toggle. So, yeah, give me that Custom 24 with a push/pull sweet switch!!!

Now, with the multi-tap single coils, I do like the toggles. But, the only person breathing down my neck when I play is my wife, trying to get me to stop!

Hmmm, maybe we should talk trades... Mine is a 2006 Whale Blue 10 top CU24 with the rotary. It is in like new condition. If you are interested, shoot me a PM. Who knows...

Intriguing....although, right now I'm looking for something quite specific for my next one (if I am able to swing it, of course). Probably be something in the Wood Library area.

My Custom 22 is definitely a "players guitar" with all the dings, nicks, scratches and wear that come along with gigging. It's a fantastic guitar, very stable, solid, and resonant. It's just the 22 fret neck that I seem to be struggling with.

Ok, I’m the odd man out. I like every configuration that I have, and have tried. There’s a plus and a minus to each of them, 22 or 24 frets. They all have different sounds, so just get one of each.
That is exactly how my PRS buying got started. I bought the CU22 and a few months later I bought the CU24. I bought them both from the same store.

I have a CE24 with 57/08’s in it. The neck pickup is excellent. I think it does depend on the guitar. My CE24 is from 2003 and weighs 9 lbs. I’d be curious to try one of the new special runs of CE 24’s with 57/08’s in it.

I'm one for having a ton of different guitars... With that said, I could easily live with a CU24 with the 594 control layout. I don't need or use single coils, so I need no control for that, but I like setting a different tone for the neck than the bridge pickup. And this was exactly what I asked for when I had my Private Stock built, unfortunately, they wouldn't do that. So I went with the CU24-08 because I get the easier, quicker 3-way. Sure, it has mini-toggles for coil splitting, but I never touch them, problem solved.

2408 is sweet for sure, but my 5 way Cu24 will always have a place at my house. It gives me the tones I want in an easy to use good 'ol 5 way.

I own 1 rotary and 1 5-way.

Given a choice, I would have the 24-08 configuration assuming it was offered when I purchased them.

I essentially agree; however, I also know I'd prefer to have made the choice so would not deny others who might prefer the rotary or 5-way.

So, more choice is better. Let's offer them all.

I really dislike the blade switch of my Cu24. It’s awkwardly placed when using the trem and the trem bar tends to end up right above it, making it hard to reach fast. I also dislike the angle of the blade. I have a Fatback 24 with McCarty switching that I like a lot more. The placement of the threeway switch is much better, is easier to reach, and stays out of the way from the trem bar. I would not mind if they discontinued the blade switch.

I really dislike the blade switch of my Cu24. It’s awkwardly placed when using the trem and the trem bar tends to end up right above it, making it hard to reach fast. I also dislike the angle of the blade. I have a Fatback 24 with McCarty switching that I like a lot more. The placement of the threeway switch is much better, is easier to reach, and stays out of the way from the trem bar. I would not mind if they discontinued the blade switch.
Complety agree. My starla has the blade switch un the same position and it is the only thing I dislike about that - otherwise great - guitar.

Back