SE Custom 24 ordered a week ago and just got back from shop with rewire

simonyahn

As the title says, I ordered a SE Custom 24 and took it into local shop. I had them install a 5 way super switch and wire the guitar to get more than the 6 pickup selections and basically make it more like a Core model and then some. With the push pull down, I’m getting the following based on position
1. Bridge HB
2. Bridge HB + Neck Split
3. Bridge HB + Neck HB
4. Bridge Split + Neck HB
5. Neck HB

With the tone knob up I’m getting the following
1. Bridge Split
2. Both pickups split out of phase
3. Bridge Split + Neck Split
4. Same as 2
5. Neck Split

I’m very happy with the mod and work done to it. Also had it set up with .010s. I think of it as a cross between Core and 24-08. Inspiration came from YouTuber JayLenoardJ and his PRS mod. I’ll post photos shortly

As the title says, I ordered a SE Custom 24 and took it into local shop. I had them install a 5 way super switch and wire the guitar to get more than the 6 pickup selections and basically make it more like a Core model and then some. With the push pull down, I’m getting the following based on position
1. Bridge HB
2. Bridge HB + Neck Split
3. Bridge HB + Neck HB
4. Bridge Split + Neck HB
5. Neck HB

With the tone knob up I’m getting the following
1. Bridge Split
2. Both pickups split out of phase
3. Bridge Split + Neck Split
4. Same as 2
5. Neck Split

I’m very happy with the mod and work done to it. Also had it set up with .010s. I think of it as a cross between Core and 24-08. Inspiration came from YouTuber JayLenoardJ and his PRS mod. I’ll post photos shortly

Excellent!

An SE (or any PRS) can really be hot rodded for versatility, just like you’ve done, and it’s one heck of a tool!

Personally, I don’t find most split HB sounds to be super authentic to single coil sounds, at least not just switching from humbuckers when the amp is set for them, but using splits with the intention that they help create a palette of unique tones, rather than trying to use them to put a square peg in a round hole, is so useful.

Excellent!

An SE (or any PRS) can really be hot rodded for versatility, just like you’ve done, and it’s one heck of a tool!

Personally, I don’t find most split HB sounds to be super authentic to single coil sounds, at least not just switching from humbuckers when the amp is set for them, but using splits with the intention that they help create a palette of unique tones, rather than trying to use them to put a square peg in a round hole, is so useful.

I totally agree. My intention with the tone knob down is to help beef up the neck and bridge in the 2 and 4 positions. I do like both split and especially out of phase to get that Strat like sound

I have a Charvel DK24 Pro Mod HH with this type of switching and it is very useful and versatile. I am usually a “simpler is better” guy built it works great in that case.

To me, SE's are just about the best platform for pickup upgrades and wiring upgrades ther are.

To me, that's all they need to be stage worthy pro instruments.

Back