Ugliest Stage Shirt!

Wasn't me, but a band I played rhythm for back in '83(?) rehearsed for 3 days straight the week before our gig.

When asked what the dress code would be, the lead guitarist said, "semi-casual."

OK. In my mind, that meant, "look professional, but not overdone." So I wore my dark blue business suit with white shirt, no tie, black dress shoes.

The lead guitarist shows up in a a granny wig, with horn-rimmed glasses, nightgown, and fuzzy slippers, cigarette hanging off his lip.

Took one look and nearly fell over laughing.

"I thought you said 'semi-casual dress code'"?

"Yeah, this is a little more on the casual side. Hand me a beer so I can complete the look."

I didn't consider it ugly, but others might disagree. My mom made it for me, at my request.
CK3813PBarBand.JPG

Sergio took pictures of you?

Here’s the story behind the pic: Last summer I got a call from the drummer in my college band. Neither of us had been able to locate each other since college. He tracked me down through the U of Michigan Alumni Association, and we had a wonderful conversation.

A few days later I got a surprise thumb drive in the mail. His then-girlfriend, now wife, had filmed a movie on Super 8 of the band playing an outdoor show on the Diag on central campus in the summer of 1970. He’d had it digitized, and sent me a copy.

I didn’t even know this film existed! I was blown away; it was like time travel.

The pic is a screen shot from the film. As far as I know, it’s the only film (or photo) taken during the band’s existence.

I also didn’t remember that at the time of that gig, we had two lead singers, male and female, a woman roadie named Big Sue, and a new van custom painted with the band’s name and logo. The singers showed up in the film, as did the van, but we can’t seem to find Big Sue in the crowd.

I sent copies to my kids. The best response was from my son, who said, “Wait...you were cool???”

Somewhere on the face of the earth, there is a 9mm movie of a disco band from the late 70’s called “Tonal Dimensions. (Not my name choice) We were known for good musicianship, and our baby blue 150% polyester leisure suits with tight waisbands and pant legs that flapped in the breeze. We all wore flowered shirts with collars that went all the way to the ends of our shoulders, and blue suede platform shoes. Then the ice age came, and the dinosaurs became extinct. I destroyed every known copy of the film to eliminate blackmail potential. I never found the trumpet player, though. I know he has a copy, it was his camera.

Here’s the story behind the pic: Last summer I got a call from the drummer in my college band. Neither of us had been able to locate each other since college. He tracked me down through the U of Michigan Alumni Association, and we had a wonderful conversation.

A few days later I got a surprise thumb drive in the mail. His then-girlfriend, now wife, had filmed a movie on Super 8 of the band playing an outdoor show on the Diag on central campus in the summer of 1970. He’d had it digitized, and sent me a copy.

I didn’t even know this film existed! I was blown away; it was like time travel.

The pic is a screen shot from the film. As far as I know, it’s the only film (or photo) taken during the band’s existence.

I also didn’t remember that at the time of that gig, we had two lead singers, male and female, a woman roadie named Big Sue, and a new van custom painted with the band’s name and logo. The singers showed up in the film, as did the van, but we can’t seem to find Big Sue in the crowd.

I sent copies to my kids. The best response was from my son, who said, “Wait...you were cool???”

That looks fab:) I was going to say Deep Freeze is my guess for the band's name based on what I can see of the truck but then I spotted it in the last frame.

Back