tuning devices

henryr

I'm considering getting a strobe type chromatic tuner instead of a six tone guitar tuner. I have a 32 string zither and other instruments with more than six tones. What brands are considered good quality chromatic tuners with a good life span? I bought a Behringer and it is pretty bad. I thought I got a lemon but, after some web searching, found numerous reviews listing the same problems I was having.

I use an app on my phone. Also TC Electronic recently came out with their PolyTune in clip form.

I still like the Peterson tuners more than any others. I have had the Peterson for acoustic instruments in the past, and now have a Peterson Strobe -o- Stomp, that I consider the most accurate tuner I have for electric guitar. I use the Peterson iPhone app for acoustic.

I also have the TC Polytune II on my pedalboard. I only got it because it's relatively small and light, but truth be told, I like the Peterson a lot better. I keep a small Korg tuner in the pick box of my acoustic just in case the iPhone is elsewhere when I need to tune it.

[h=3]I just ordered a Peterson StroboPLUS HD. Reviews were great, it's capabilities are great and Sweetwater ships free and gives a 2 year warranty. Some other sellers only give a one year warranty.[/h]

Is that called "iStroboSoft"? I have Android, and there's an app, that's why I ask.
Yes, great app. I use it for intonation/setups and also pre-show tuning. I haven't tried the pedal version- I feel like I'd be spending too much time between songs. I use the polytune mini on my pedal board.

Well, I have most of those mentioned except a bench Peterson. I have done quite a bit of comparison. The Korg PitchBlack Stomp box is very accurate and rugged and the "dialing -in " display is very friendly. It would be my on-stage choice- very rugged and easy to see at your feet! At first I was disappointed by the lack of a swivel on the new TC Polytune, but it has been on my S2SC for a couple of weeks and it, too is a nice piece- it is a rugged little beggar; again, a friendly dial-in. I keep the Turbo-Tuner for bench work because I found it to be so sensitive that it is best for setups. It equals the bench Petersons I compared it with and Peterson's Strobo-Clip is close to both but I don't find the dial-in to be as predictable and smooth and I wish it were black- the silver is distracting in appearance, but overall the design is "elegant." I bought half a dozen Snarks somewhere and edited out 3- the 3 I use are dead on and I like how easily it hides- I use mine ( all brands of clips) set to the back of the headstock.

For a wide range of instruments and accuracy, go with Turbo-Tuner-it is clearly the most versatile, if you want one (1) premium "do-all" unit.
Finally, the old "granddaddy," Intellitouch," hangs in there- it is still going after 8 years or so. They aren't quite as refined as newer designs, but they are reasonably accurate and rugged.

I'm really glad to see the activity even though I mentioned I already pulled the trigger. This is a great site. Must be because of the great guitars and owners.

Back