Truss rod nut different to tool that came with guitar

Colin Hammond

Hi,

I bought a 2020 PRS SE A50E Angelus Electro Acoustic Guitar back in February from a UK dealer, and finally plucked up courage to adjust the truss rod. When I took the cover off I found the nut is a hex nut, but the tool that came with the guitar is an allen key!

According to the PRS Youtube video it should have a socket for the key.

Is this some mistake in manufacture? And what size socket wrench do I need instead?

Very confused, Col.

Nice of them to admit the mistake too!

I just hope that it's not going to have a detrimental affect on adjusting the neck which is at maximum tolerance.

Acoustics are a little different animal. The truss rod is the easiest way of lowering you action although everyone will tell you not to do it that way.
First throw all the rules you have been told out the window. It is YOUR guitar and you have the choice on how it plays. I go by feel not some gauge to measure this.
If my guitar feels good thats all I care about.

Do not over tighten it, you can break it. The reason for me saying it is the easiest way to lower the action to a certain extent is you will make you strings buzz and fret out if you over do it.You need some relief in your neck this will very from guitar to guitar. The thing to do is take the bridge saddle out and file and sand it down. On an acoustic this can be a tedious process of putting the saddle on, tuning the guitar and taking it a part again. I own a large collection of classical guitars so after a while you get good at it. But for someone that has not done it before it can be quite intimidating and time consuming. But totally doable.

Thanks for that advice and encouragement!

Having got my new spanner (thanks PRS) I've adjusted it down to 5 thou, took about half a turn and didn't feel like I was stressing anything.
No buzz and an action I'm comfortable with, being as I'm not very proficient and have just returned to playing after about 30 years absence!

Luckily there is a semi-retired luthier about 5 minutes up the road I can go to for any bridge adjustment (I don't have the patience), should it prove necessary.

Right now, I'm enjoying the sound and feel of my new guitar:)

Awesome, glad it worked for you. Enjoy that new guitar !!! If you got it to play the way you like it all is good in the world today.

Back