Trouble staying in tune

Seth20

Hi,
I got my 35th anniversary S2 guitar in August 2020. It’s been excellent! Until a few months ago, I was amazed at how well it stayed in tune. A guy that I play with (with an ear that sometimes seems too sensitive) noticed that something was off. Ultimately we realized that it was an intonation problem. I took the guitar into Sam Ash for a setup and the intonation problem appears to have been corrected, but the guitar usually doesn’t stay in tune for 1 song. I tried stretching the strings some more, but still frustrated?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Seth

You can lube the nut and saddles. Did they put new strings on? If so, did they use the same gauge? And if it's a trem, did they make any changes to the trem? Seems like something must have been changed other than just the intonation, especially if it was staying in tune before.

Is it out of tune after bends? That means either the string stretched or a string bend was done and the string bound in the nut and didn't let it move back.

Out of tune just from playing some chords?

It would help to know if it is a trem or stop tail.

If it is going out of tune, something is moving. Is it always the same string? One string or all strings?

I just purchased the new PRS SE McCarty 594. It doesn't stay in tune at all. It's quite slinky in bending strings which I love so I'm hoping going up one gauge of strings will help with the tuning stability.

If it doesn't and you need some assistance on fixing it, please be descriptive on how the issue occurs. There are a number of things that can cause a tuning issue. They don't all present themselves in the same manner.

Do you tie your strings where they pass through the tuners? I do. It helps. I do it to all six strings and also leave enough length so I can get about three turns of string around the shaft to increase the string angle behind the nut. I do this to my acoustic guitars and my electric guitars, except for my two CU22 guitars that have locking tuners.

Here's more or less how I do it, although I pull the string through the shaft and then bend the string about 1 1/2" from the post, then pull it back. You can do it either way, but leave about 1 1/2 - 2" to wind around the post and make sure the string winds neatly down the post.

Back