Triumph, 1983, the Us Festival

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
What an amazing set!

Rik Emmet was my first real guitar hero. Good gods the man can play.

My first concert was Triumph, on the Never Surrender tour in Cincinnati March 4th, 1983 - so two months before the famous Us Festival appearance.. Blew my 14 year old mind. It kicked off a love of concerts that shows no sign of waning. Great guitar playing, great stage presence, great showmanship, pyro, lasers....it was a phenomenal first show. Molly Hatchet was opening that leg of that tour, and that was a pretty dang good opening band for my first show.

I'm still bummed that that was the only time I got to see Triumph. However, March 83 was a good month for me, because March 30 I saw Rush for the first time. It was a helluva good first 2 concerts.

Anyway, 39 years later, I still love me some Triumph. Mrs Aahzz, sadly, has a different opinion.

Great video. “Never Surrender” album, prologue maybe? “Queue house lights to black in 3, 2, 1,” the sound of shattering glass, and then the thickest, fattest power chords. 40 some years later, and I still hear that in my head all the time… of course I do check back in with the album occasionally.

Last edited:
Great video. “Never Surrender” album, prologue maybe? “Queue house lights to black in 3, 2, 1,” the sound of shattering glass, and then the thickest, fattest power chords. 40 some years later, and I still hear that in my head all the time… of course I do check back in with the album occasionally.
Yup, prologue of Never Surrender, I can hear it clear as a bell.

I watched this on AXS a few months back. 100% agree! Man what a performance!!
I know I repeat myself a lot. (DON’T SAY IT!). But there was a few year period where Rush and Triumph were the two best shows going. Two three man Canadian bands were SLAYING live, and had killer stage/light shows. Triumph was at their peak, early 80s, and so was Rush.

Back