Barenaked Ladies - who knew they were amazing live?

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
So, after my dad died in '09, my mother said she'd never been to a concert...13 years later, at age 81, mom's been to a boatload of concerts. Last night we went to see the "Last Summer on Earth" tour - Barenaked Ladies, Gin Blossoms, and Toad the Wet Sprocket. My mom and sister were primarily there for Toad, I was most interested in Gin Blossoms. We figured we'd catch a few of the Barenaked Ladies songs and duck out early before the crowd.

There was no ducking. The first 2 bands were both really good, but Barenaked Ladies were freaking amazing. Great playing, great stage presence, completely engaging...I knew very few of the songs they played, they did not stick to a "just the hits" setlist. They did a medley that morphed from Sesame Street's "Sing a song" into a completely killer version of "Whole Lotta Love" where the singer took over on drums and the drummer just wailed in a way that Robert Plant wishes he could.

If you get a chance and have even a slight liking for their music, see them live. You will not be disappointed.

They’re definitely one of those “have to see them live” bands if you’re someone who “doesn’t get them”.

A band I was a hired gun for in the 90’s played the same circuit as them in the West and North West, and their fans overlapped with “ours”.

They’re “fun”. Fun can be fun.

A very fun band. For me, they lost some appeal (and some of the light-heartedness) after Steven Page left. We saw them once way back when, and it was a fun night all around. They did a snippet of that Celine Dion song - they'd run up to the front of the stage and sing "Near", then to the back of the stage to sing, "Far".

I remember seeing them back in the Steven Page days. The show was fun and they are damn talented.

During the song "Shopping" they were pushing carts around and acting goofy. Good times...

Back