Tried a new speaker for my HXDA and WOW what a change...

Rapdog

I have a pair of Jensen speakers in a 2x12 cab I built out of solid pine for my HXDA head. I also have a 1x12 marshal jtm 60 combo with a celestion g12 heritage speaker from my pre-hxda usage which I need to move out. I decided tonight I would try out the new speaker combo with my HXDA head and dear LORD the change was huge. I never have really paid too much attention to speakers and the changes in tone you get but the brighter tone was much more articulate and punchy. I am now on a quest to either replace my speakers with vintage 30's, heritage g12's or buy a whole new cabinet altogether. Hopefully I can find something reasonable since my wife watches my guitar purchases with a watchful eye. I know you all know what I mean. She is awesome but when I accumulate too much stuff it doesn't go well for me...

Any other speaker suggestions are welcome. I have looked at eminence speakers, but have not heard wonderful reviews in regards to these, so concentrating my efforts on the celestials.

Have a great night and thanks for listening to my jabber.

It's funny, I recently decided to get another PRS David Grissom cab with rear ports like the one I have with my DG30 amp, after trying it with my HXDA at decent volume.

It sounded HUGE, it was open, articulate, gave me a completely different (but wonderful) vibe from the closed back cabs I had previously used with it.

So I just sold the 1x12 PRS cab I have, and am now trying to push another DG Cab through my own Chancellor of the Exchequer (my wife). She is resisting because our daughter just got engaged and wedding plans are in the air...

But I GOTSTA have another cab like that one.

So I dunno how I'm gonna make this happen, but make it happen I shall. ;)

Rapdog, take a look at Warehouse Speakers. Wonderful products, and I have several in different cabs and configurations. And at their prices, you can afford to justify buying several and swap as you like. My recommendation is their ET65.

I think it really depends on which Eminence speaker -- I bought a Rivera Clubster once that someone had swapped in some red speaker. Had no bottom end so I returned it, but the memory of the sweetness of the high end haunted me, so now I wish I had made a note of which speaker it was. I remember it was something British sounding, so that narrows it down some...uh...okay, no not really.

OT

I'm sure you guys have probably gone through these before, but some plans of attack that I've used in the past regarding gear purchases are as follows:

- Keep your guitars in their cases, pedal boards with their tops on, covers on amps.
- Never have anything shipped to your house!
- Ship to the office, and clandestinely transport into the house. If the office isn't an option, pick a friend who can be the drop man. DO NOT PICK A FRIEND WITH A GIRLFRIEND/WIFE WHO IS FRIENDS WITH YOUR WIFE! Single friends are worth double points, they'll understand gear, and most likely understand the need for discretion as well!
**** Do not forget the billing address in this equation ****
- In order to assimilate the new gear (note the non-use of the word "purchase") drop hints of "trading" some gear. Boil the frog.
- If you're discovered prior to full assimilation is completed, you are "borrowing from __________."
*** Stick with this story NO MATTER WHAT! Don't fall for the "__________ already told me, just own up" trick. ***

- An alternative for those of you who are tech savvy; photoshop pictures of your new gear into old pictures. "Discover" the pictures in the presence of your GF/Wife and say "Oh man!! I forgot I lent that to _insert name of friend from out of state_! I need to get that back!!" I pulled this one last year, worked like a charm.

Stay strong, we are here for you!

Back to your scheduled program!

OT

I'm sure you guys have probably gone through these before, but some plans of attack that I've used in the past regarding gear purchases are as follows:

- Keep your guitars in their cases, pedal boards with their tops on, covers on amps.
- Never have anything shipped to your house!
- Ship to the office, and clandestinely transport into the house. If the office isn't an option, pick a friend who can be the drop man. DO NOT PICK A FRIEND WITH A GIRLFRIEND/WIFE WHO IS FRIENDS WITH YOUR WIFE! Single friends are worth double points, they'll understand gear, and most likely understand the need for discretion as well!
**** Do not forget the billing address in this equation ****
- In order to assimilate the new gear (note the non-use of the word "purchase") drop hints of "trading" some gear. Boil the frog.
- If you're discovered prior to full assimilation is completed, you are "borrowing from __________."
*** Stick with this story NO MATTER WHAT! Don't fall for the "__________ already told me, just own up" trick. ***

- An alternative for those of you who are tech savvy; photoshop pictures of your new gear into old pictures. "Discover" the pictures in the presence of your GF/Wife and say "Oh man!! I forgot I lent that to _insert name of friend from out of state_! I need to get that back!!" I pulled this one last year, worked like a charm.

Stay strong, we are here for you!

Back to your scheduled program!

Haha! I love this cloak and dagger stuff.

When my friends used to see my old analog studio that was absolutely loaded with gear, they'd say to my wife, "How'd you let him get all this stuff?"

And she'd say, "Are you kidding? He sneaked this entire studio into the house one cable at a time."

Which was very, very true! ;)

Except the console. That was a pretty big item. Three guys had to carry it in and assemble it on-site, so...that I had to tell her about.

But fortunately, I'm in the music business, so it's business equipment, and I can say things like, "When I had my law office, I didn't need your permission to buy a new copier or law book, did I?"

Haha! I love this cloak and dagger stuff.

When my friends used to see my old analog studio that was absolutely loaded with gear, they'd say to my wife, "How'd you let him get all this stuff?"

And she'd say, "Are you kidding? He sneaked this entire studio into the house one cable at a time."

Which was very, very true! ;)

Except the console. That was a pretty big item. Three guys had to carry it in and assemble it on-site, so...that I had to tell her about.

But fortunately, I'm in the music business, so it's business equipment, and I can say things like, "When I had my law office, I didn't need your permission to buy a new copier or law book, did I?"

I make money with my stuff, albeit not a make-ends-meet business like you Les. My wife still gets wound up when I even LOOK at guitar gear! The only thing she hasn't said anything about was the memorial guitar for my daughter; I am having a guitar made with her footprints on the back.

Thanks for the support. I have started the office bases shipping and keeping things in cases to hide their numbers. I will let you all know if I need someone to hold product for me. I figure I just have to introduce it all slowly..... So far I haven't come down with final speaker solutions but thanks to Boogie for the warehouse reference. I will let you all know.

You can always try a Greenback-type speaker. I use a Scumback 65 watt (power handling) greenback. It's a bit quieter since the magnet is smaller, and can handle my 30 watt combo. It's classic Marshall/Greenback tone heard on countless records.

Celestion makes a 65 watt greenback as well if you want to stay in that family.

Sure, the greenback doesn't have the bass of a V30 or an H30, but it has THAT chewy sound when you get the volume up. It's now my gigging standard.

You can always try a Greenback-type speaker. I use a Scumback 65 watt (power handling) greenback. It's a bit quieter since the magnet is smaller, and can handle my 30 watt combo. It's classic Marshall/Greenback tone heard on countless records.

Celestion makes a 65 watt greenback as well if you want to stay in that family.

Sure, the greenback doesn't have the bass of a V30 or an H30, but it has THAT chewy sound when you get the volume up. It's now my gigging standard.

I love that tone in a 4x12, but not in most other configurations. I think because the Greenies don't have as much bass, they need that 4x12, and they sound great in one.

Back