Tremonti SE CUSTOM Tremolo Set Screw Issue

prsman2012

I just purchased a Tremonti SE Custom, and the top piece of the trem (where the trem arm goes), the set screw is not threading. I took the guitar to my tech, and he also can't get the set screw that came with the guitar to thread. The screw goes about halfway in and then stops tightening. I'm not sure if it was defective when I bought it or what. Does anyone know if its possible to purchase just this top piece? I am really bummed if I can't use the tremolo. Thanks for any answers!

Hi, Congrats on the new guitar, a way to fix the guitars screw hole is you can put a toothpick in and it will mold to the wood on the side allowing the screw to thread

Hi, welcome to the forum! Can you post some pics to show us the problem? That will help us understand the problem better.

My guitar is still at my tech's place so I can't get a picture right now. The set screw that came with the guitar will not thread in to the trem arm to keep it from swinging freely. It goes about halfway and then stops threading.

From the closest picture I found online, it looks like the screw shouldn't go all the way through to contact the arm. It clamps the split ferrule to hold the arm.

Maybe with a magnifying glass and some light you can see if anything is obstructing the threaded hole, or if the threads are damaged.

With a dental pick you may be able to remove any debris, or with a properly sized tap you can clean the threads. Just don't mess up the split ferrule.

p1190516_1.jpg

Exactly, the screw should not contact the tremolo arm at all, it just pushes that split clamp tighter around the tremolo arm.
I have mine set up on my 408 so I never have to use the allen wrench at all.
It is just tight enough to push in the tremolo arm or pull it out.

The set screw in mine sticks out of the set screw hole and is visible. It is not tightening enough to tighten the clamp around the tremol arm.

Might have been that the set screw was loose and came out from the hole during the delivery. The ferrule must have been misaligned or there's something stuck in the hole, maybe some leftover plastic debris or dust.

If the hole is blocked the obstruction has to be removed. If it is open, it's possible the threads are damaged. You could slide the end of a guitar string into the hole and see if appears at the other end.

This might help identify the issue.

Back