Tremonti pickups

Mirroredas

Let me just start this by saying that I'm asking all these questions because I have no chance to try the models I'm interested in in the meantime (or ever).

I'm craving more and more a singlecut, although my initial idea was to buy a CE24 (love the 85/15s and the bolt-on snap, lean more towards thinner necks, also it's a sum of money more in line with what I'm comfortable with). Lately, the SC594s are making me crazy, though. Still, I'm afraid the neck might be a bit chunky for me.

How about a Tremonti? The necks's a pattern thin, and it seems like a hell of a guitar. From all the videos, it seems like the pickups are a beefed up version of the 58/15s. Being Mark's guitar, people try to demo it mostly in a high gain setting and modern amps, which makes you lose a little bit of perspective. How do they fare against both the 85/15 and 58/15?

Even though it is a higher output set of pickups, are they still dynamic enough if you use a more classic setup?

Thanks!

The neck is PAF voiced, the bridge is a bit more modern, however it is versatile enough that it can be used for more classic tones. My Tremonti fares up to the 57/08 in my Studio 22 and the 59/09s in my Mushok SE.

The Tremonti bridge is nothing like a 58/15. The Tremonti has much more output and a much sharper attack in the upper mids and high end. It is versatile, but definitely voiced to be a modern(ish) high output pickup. Mark was using 500t (high out put ceramic based Gibson) pickups in his Les Pauls before he did the signature model with PRS, so it is my understanding they used that pickup as a platform.

The 58/15 is IMO one of the best PAF type pickups ever (along with the 57/08). The way I would describe it in my McCarty would be a great balance of warmth and clarity. Full lows, present (but not spiky) mids and a clear and chimy top end that does not get harsh. Tight enough for rock and metal, but it still has some give to it that feels great under the fingers. Has less output to my ears than even the 57/08's, but the trade off in dynamics, feel and clarity is something else.

Yes, it's the bridge pickup that makes me more unsure (and the lack of coil spliting). The neck has the character I like, I'm not concerned about that. I'm not the kind of guy to change pickups on a 3k+ guitar :p If the Mccarty also came with a Pattern Thin option, and I'd be all over that (in case I have the money and am able to part ways with it without crying too much).

Having owned both here are my 2 cents. Neck wise, the tremonti neck is more similar to a typical les paul than a 58/15 LT. The 58/15 LT is clearer and brighter than

Sorry enter pressed by mistake.

The 58/15 LT neck humbucker, modelled after a Burst, is brighter and clearer than the Tremonti bass which, to my ears, is modelled more like a typical Gibson Les Paul neck, darker and muddier.

Bridge wise, the 58/15 LT is the same pickup as the neck. Read clear but low output. The Tremonti is much hotter and its almost like putting a slight boost on top of the 58/15 LT when you swap guitars.

In my PS build 594( still in the oven) I swapped the 58/15 LT bridge for the Tremonti treble as I play a lot of palm muting high gain stuff. If you don't play that, the 58/15 LT bridge is better suited for you.

Net , my recommendation
Neck profile shape is critical and difficult to fix. Buy a Tremonti, since u like the neck and swap out the pickups to BK Mules. They give 58/15s a run for their money and are very similar in intent. I have them in a Knaggs Tuckahoe and its easily matches my 594 as one of my most organic sounding guitars

How much of a crime would it be to put a cover on the bridge pickup, while also lowering it a few mm? Would it tame the output a bit and make the guitar a bit more balanced between the two pickups?

Does anyone know the pickup in the Tremonti bridge pickup? Doesn't feel anything like ceramic to me. Although I find ceramic to be really fat and filled with great texture. PRS says it's a cud in magnet but online I often see it listed as a large Alnico V magnet.
It's one of rhe darkest pickups I own and PRS even told me it's their darkest pickup along with the older Dragon Bridge.
Seems more balanced and punchier than my Dragon bridge pickup.

It’s pretty punchy, bass heavy, and scooped. I don’t think it sounds anything like the 85/15s or 58/15s (I find those much softer sounding, and round). The Tremonti is aggressive, and more percussive for sure. It’s pretty different from all the other PRS pickups I’ve played. Sounds like a 500T that’s slightly more polite.

Back