Trem block upgrade

RonHal

If you haven't seen this : http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103&zenid=tf4n70ntscec6shue62m5bp0n3

Is what they say is true? Pot metal?

Washington Crossing, PA. (August 30, 2018) -- FU-Tone, The original tremolo upgrade company, introduces new PRS (Paul Reed Smith Guitars) upgrades. The stock PRS tremolo blocks are made from pot metal. FU-Tone Sustain Blocks are made from the highest grade of resonate bell brass, which FU-Tone is known for.

I changed the trem block in my MIM Strat and it made a difference in the sound of the guitar. Is there an upgrade in my future?

If you haven't seen this : http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103&zenid=tf4n70ntscec6shue62m5bp0n3

Is what they say is true? Pot metal?

Washington Crossing, PA. (August 30, 2018) -- FU-Tone, The original tremolo upgrade company, introduces new PRS (Paul Reed Smith Guitars) upgrades. The stock PRS tremolo blocks are made from pot metal. FU-Tone Sustain Blocks are made from the highest grade of resonate bell brass, which FU-Tone is known for.

I changed the trem block in my MIM Strat and it made a difference in the sound of the guitar. Is there an upgrade in my future?

The Core models have a brass block. Not sure about the S2s and SEs

What Bodia says about Cores is right. I don’t know about the other trems either.

The SE/S2 blocks are made of steel.

I also saw this ad/announcement on PG and it kinda made me shake my head a bit. Look, I’m fine with companies making parts for upgrades but, I’m gonna feel a little dubious about your product if the info provided about it is incorrect.

John Mann also sells term blocks ( or an upgrade kit ) for S2s and SEs they are by no means Pot Metal tho

For only $25 more. If the difference in price is that of a salad... yeah, I’m gonna (and have) bought the part from the dude who helped invent the thing.

MannMade all the way! I ordered one for my NH Whale build.

I don’t like it when companies say FU to me, even if it is about tone ;) Sorry, couldn’t resist!

I found my tequila that went missing the other day :)

My feeLing is: if they lie about the competitor, they may lie about something else. The Trem block is steel, not pot metal. Also remember,if you currently like the way the guitar sounds, it’s not an upgrade. Different and better aren’t synonymous.

Last edited:
My feeing is: if they lie about the competitor, they may lie about something else. The Trem block is steel, not pot metal. Also remember,if you currently like the way the guitar sounds, it’s not an upgrade. Different and better aren’t synonymous.

It may just be that since they haven’t a clue about that, they haven’t a clue about anything else in terms of their product, also.

I use Futone brass blocks and parts on my Jacksons (because they are soft zinc mixtures) with Floyd Rose and they make a tremendous increase in sustain, and warmth in the overall tone, it also adds some weight to the guitar. YMMV

As far as the PRS blocks, I don't see on his website where he says anything about pot metal for PRS stock blocks. But... in the end, who knows besides the metallurgist. I haven't owned a trem PRS... so haven't seen one from inside. Yet.

I use Futone brass blocks and parts on my Jacksons (because they are soft zinc mixtures) with Floyd Rose and they make a tremendous increase in sustain, and warmth in the overall tone, it also adds some weight to the guitar. YMMV

As far as the PRS blocks, I don't see on his website where he says anything about pot metal for PRS stock blocks. But... in the end, who knows besides the metallurgist. I haven't owned a trem PRS... so haven't seen one from inside. Yet.
John Mann can and will tell you anything you'd care to know about the trem blocks.He may even have the information on his website. I've been an optician for 40 years, and have seen too many false claims to even remember. That's not to say that Futone or any other manufacturer doesn't make a quality product. It's just that it's "Caveat Emptor"

the pot metal catchphrase comes from lawsuit strats.

Most of them were excellent quality in base materials and hand work, great craftsmanship where it counted... but they would cheap out on the hardware and electronics. I have a 'pot metal' block out of my old jap strat in a drawer... it's this indeterminate soft metal that looks weird and can be dented very easily. It's just cheap stuff, and on most of these strats you replace the block with a steel one as a basic upgrade.

I don't think too many guitars are popping out with this stuff these days, maybe the very bottom line strat copies but I would be surprised if the SE stuff wasn't aluminium or steel

the pot metal catchphrase comes from lawsuit strats.

Most of them were excellent quality in base materials and hand work, great craftsmanship where it counted... but they would cheap out on the hardware and electronics. I have a 'pot metal' block out of my old jap strat in a drawer... it's this indeterminate soft metal that looks weird and can be dented very easily. It's just cheap stuff, and on most of these strats you replace the block with a steel one as a basic upgrade.

I don't think too many guitars are popping out with this stuff these days, maybe the very bottom line strat copies but I would be surprised if the SE stuff wasn't aluminium or steel

They used cast 'pot metal' blocks because they are quick and cheap to produce. The alloys used have low melting temperatures to enable quick and easy die-casting.
A machined block out of steel (or any metal for that mater) takes much more time to produce and therefore is more expensive, even before the actual material costs are taken into account,

There you go. Thank you, John for the real scoop.
Personally, I don't like whole, juvenile 'FU' branding thing anyways; but once you see a company clearly use false or misleading claims in ad copy, they just peed in their own collective pool, forgive the example...as has been suggested here elsewhere ''then just what else did they mislead through ignorance, or outright lie about? “

Last edited:
Back