Traded for a used PRS Custom 24 and dressed it up a small bit

deanproxy

This is a 2006 Custom 24. It's been pretty heavily used. Almost all of the frets were worn, there are some chips in the finish, some minor scratches on the top and back, dings on the head stock, etc... However, it plays fantastic and still looks like a wonderful guitar. I'm considering getting some kind of buffer on the scratches on the top, but I'm doubtful that I will address the headstock dings and the chips in the finish on the body. I did however take it in for a refret. It was refretted with X-jumbo Stainless Steel frets and I am extremely pleased with these frets. Bending on them is absolutely amazing and for things like hammer ons and pull offs, it feels and sounds fantastic. Secondly, I threw in some new pickups. They had a little rust on them (oddly enough) and I'm also not a huge fan of the HFS and Vintage bass, although they weren't terrible, I went ahead and updated the pickups to a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom in the bridge. I also dressed it up a little bit with some new pickup rings and the newer style knobs. Not much, but it makes it looks and sounds and plays like a completely different guitar, IMO. Here are some before and after photos:

Before:
oldprs1.jpg

After:
newprs1.jpg

newprs2.jpg

newprs3.jpg

Yeah, they're a bit on the chunky side. I've found similar frets on the ESP guitars. Stainless Steel frets are really nice though. Bends feel so smooth. The larger fret wire seems to make vibrato a bit easier too. However, I don't notice a huge playability difference switching between this one and the standard fret wire of my other guitars.

Back