tone report on modded 305

gush

Where is that speedo pic
First a full description.

SD 59s in bridge and neck with quarter pounder in the middle. Push/push coil tap. tone and vol pot positions switched.

I had SD 59s in an all hog ce22 and didn't like them but in the 305 they sound pretty good. May keep them in there for a while.

The 59s remind me of M pickups with more midrange focus. If you crank bass on amp they won't produce it just like M pickups.
really didn't need more bass it was just an observation.

Going to switch vol and tone pots to correct position. I use my pinky to adjust vol pot while I play and trem arm is in the way so it's difficult to adjust vol smoothly.

Absolutely love the push on push off coil tap. It makes using tap feature a lot easier on the fly. I found myself using it mid song for dynamic effect. Great idea there.

I think I like the larger scale. It seems like my finger spills over fret wires when fingering a note high on the neck on shorter scale guitars. Not so good for sustain. Probably why it always feels like a struggle on LPs.

I think I still have a 305 deal on the back burner and I'm giving that some serious consideration. Really enjoyed the 305 I have and am really curious about those stock pickups.

I really dig the PRS 305/DC3 single coils. Perhaps the modded on just isn't what you are looking for. I personally love the DC3 and the fantastic tones it can make. Just imagining the 305 would be even closer to a great start replacement.

I really dig the PRS 305/DC3 single coils. Perhaps the modded on just isn't what you are looking for. I personally love the DC3 and the fantastic tones it can make. Just imagining the 305 would be even closer to a great start replacement.

I'm not unhappy with this 305 at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

I had a trade deal in the works for stock 305 prior to buying this one. I think that trade will still happen. Hopefully this weekend.

Great report gush an love the sd59 pickups myself after having them in a few different guitars .
Another great Seymour Duncan pickup I found to work in the bridge pickup on 25 1/2 inch scale guitars is the Jeff beck or sh-4 jb which just lifts the mid high range a bit more than the 59 an splits for a good higher output single coil sound..
Hope the trade comes off on the weekend for the stock 305 an can't wait the back to back test... An pics...

Back