Tone on a 408 with Rosewood neck and stop tail bridge vs normal 408MT

bsharpgrooves

Hi everyone - anyone could share tone comments on a 408 (maple top) with RW neck and stop tail bridge vs a regular 408MT?

I've been reading that RW necks produce a bit of dip on the mids and highs and lows are extended. Also the frequency response on gain tones is something that some people like and other prefer the mahogany/rw fb combination.

Would the stop tail bridge bring back the mids and balance things out a bit more evenly? From my experience tremolo bridge produce slightly scooped mids.
Thanks

Hi BSharp. I have a 408 Brazilian (RW neck & fretboard) which is a trem. I also have a few other 408-equipped PRSes with trems, and a Paul's Guitar (narrow 408 in bridge) with a stoptail.

I cannot comment on whether a stoptail would "bring back the mids" but I can tell you that my 408 Brazzy definitely emphasizes the low / low-mid end of the spectrum. I find all of my 408s reasonably bright, but I don't notice much of an emphasis in the highs with the RW. The quality of the sound is incredibly thick, and dense - it's not muddy, but smooth and purer-sounding with gain. Rings forever too.

FWIW I think my trem-equipped 408s are the most "balanced" guitars I own, as a group. I don't personally notice much of a mid scoop.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks. Yes I do feel that the 408's are brighter to begin with. My concern is that an all RW neck will add more to the brightness (but also to the low end). Since you can't swap out the 408 pickups with other pickups you're pretty much "stuck" with that configuration.
A while back I had a private stock 408 which sounded so different (eq wise) than the rest of my guitars that I had to re-eq my amp every time I would plug it back in.

That's interesting -- the first time I tried a Paul's Guitar, I had to return it, because it sounded so muffled (I thought there was something wrong with it -- now I'm wondering if it wasn't operator error).
I cannot comment on whether a stoptail would "bring back the mids" but I can tell you that my 408 Brazzy definitely emphasizes the low / low-mid end of the spectrum. I find all of my 408s reasonably bright, but I don't notice much of an emphasis in the highs with the RW. The quality of the sound is incredibly thick, and dense - it's not muddy, but smooth and purer-sounding with gain. Rings forever too.
I bet that would sound great on a baritone (e.g. Duane Eddy style).

I just wish I could find a 408 in that configuration (EIRW). PRS stopped doing stoptail 408s for 2015.
I could tell you how it sounds on a Custom 22 whenever it arrives…

Back