Tips for gigging a 2 channel amp like the Archon?

I'll have to check out v1.1-3 again as it's been years. At thr time I was comparing tons of pedals and recall liking 1.7, with my rig at the time, but I liked the or the orignals too. But I think at the time, I had pedals I preferred, so I got rid of the OCDs..

I really want to try the Precision Drive, Dire Wolf, Duality and Parallel Drive.

I wish that I hadn't sold my V1.2 to fund the V1.4. 1.1 and 1.2 are my favorites that I've tried, for good open punchy crunch, and more.

I just picked up a JHS Bonsai even though I wanted the Horizon Devices Precision Drive. This is versatile and sound a killer.

I also use the KSR Eros which I chose over the Deadweald Duality.
Enjoy both. :)

I just picked up a JHS Bonsai even though I wanted the Horizon Devices Precision Drive. This is versatile and sound a killer.

I also use the KSR Eros which I chose over the Deadweald Duality.
Enjoy both. :)

I got off the pedal Merry-go-round when I started getting amps with great OD channels. Still use them all the time, just don't buy one every other week like I used too. And keeping up with all the pedals now is impossible. I used to spend more time in the pedal section at TGP than all the other sections put together, back when I was a "clean amp plus pedals" guy. Now I spend most of my time in amps and recording/live sound sections.

Agreed - me too.
But for some people it doesn't matter how great the amp is, pedals add something unique that some of us have to have. I know a lot of guys like this with tons of amps but still need that OD/Boost. Personal preference.
I love having variety and options at my feet. It's a lot of fun, regardless of amp.
Wvwryne has what works. My buddy is close to 60, toured the world and has been gigging since he was 15, has such an amazing amp collection. He found his tone with an OD/Dirt pedal and a clean Russian Bear amp.
You never know!

I'm making a custom switcher for my Archon that, with an overdrive pedal, can kind of turn it into a 3 channel amp. The upside of my switcher is that it lets me go from lead channel with an overdrive to the clean channel with no overdrive with 1 footswitch.

Btw my preferred overdrive is a Wampler Tumnus with all knobs at noon, but I haven't tried very many overdrives in my life. After I played the Tumnus for the first time I stopped shopping for overdrives to put in front of the lead channel. I also recently started messing with an EQ pedal and I had no idea that my lead tone was so mid-heavy, so depending on what sound you're going for the Tumnus may or may not work for you.

Last edited:
Back