Tips for gigging a 2 channel amp like the Archon?

boardn10

Hey guys,

I'll hopefully have an Archon soon and I realized something - I've never gigged a two channel amp. I used digital for some years when younger and then 3 channel amps.
The issue I run into is that some of our original song switch from clean to crunch to high gain fairly quick. It's easy enough to use my volume conteol to adjust gain but that can become a pain because anytime you switch back to clean, the guitar volume needs to be maxed again, and it's not as precise as switching clean/crunch/high gain as I do with my Mark V. I also plan to use some OD pedals into the clean channel.

Ideally, I would love if the Archon had a mode switch like my Shiva had, so I could switch between low and high gain quickly and then to clean as needed.

Curious what you guys have found navigating this when gigging the Archon?

Thanks!!!!

Hey guys,

I'll hopefully have an Archon soon and I realized something - I've never gigged a two channel amp. I used digital for some years when younger and then 3 channel amps.
The issue I run into is that some of our original song switch from clean to crunch to high gain fairly quick. It's easy enough to use my volume conteol to adjust gain but that can become a pain because anytime you switch back to clean, the guitar volume needs to be maxed again, and it's not as precise as switching clean/crunch/high gain as I do with my Mark V. I also plan to use some OD pedals into the clean channel.

Ideally, I would love if the Archon had a mode switch like my Shiva had, so I could switch between low and high gain quickly and then to clean as needed.

Curious what you guys have found navigating this when gigging the Archon?

Thanks!!!!

It sounds like you're not enjoying turning up your guitar volume every time you switch from crunch or lead back to clean.

You may find with a 2-channel amp that this may not be the case. Simply put, set your guitar volume at about 6 (which would be your stage volume, with room to spare for increase), and tone knob where you need it to be. Then, dial in an amp volume for both channels using the gain and volume (IDK if the Archon also has a master volume, which would be helpful). It may be necessary to compromise a little to find 2 levels where they sit equally in the stage mix.

You may find that a separate boost or OD effect will provide a variety of foot-switchable tones. For boost I'd use either a TC Spark, or EP Boost. If you happen to like singing "violin-like" OD, choose something like a MP Simble or J Rockett Blue Note Pro. Check both of these effects out (See Alberto Barrero's YT vids). For other stuff that adds mids, you can't go wrong with a TS808-based overdrive.

No, I am fine with turning up the guitar volume and back down, it's just almost impossible to do it I stantly when going crucnh to clean to high gain, etc.
Its that switching from clean (full volume) quickly to low gain crunch (low volume), to high gain (full volume) that becomes a nightmare. Easier for me to do with a few OD pedals in thr mix.
The Archon sounds so good, it's worth a little compromise!

I see what you mean - so the only time I'd need to roll up guitar volume is for high gain.

The band I'm with doesn't do solos and are sort of anti solo, which is annoying. This is sort of a Tool/Deftones style band, so I don't need a solo voice, only clean, low to mid gain and high gain.

I had an EP boost along with almost every boost under the sun at one's point. Sold most.
Now, I only have a Koko Boost and KSR Eros OD/Boost. I'm about to pick up another Bogner Blue or Nexus. These boosts replaced my TS808s..

I'm fine playing with some pedals and boosts too.

No, I am fine with turning up the guitar volume and back down, it's just almost impossible to do it instantly when going crunch to clean to high gain, etc. Its that switching from clean (full volume) quickly to low gain crunch (low volume), to high gain (full volume) that becomes a nightmare. Easier for me to do with a few OD pedals in the mix...

...I see what you mean - so the only time I'd need to roll up guitar volume is for high gain...

...I had an EP boost along with almost every boost under the sun at one's point. Sold most. Now, I only have a Koko Boost and KSR Eros OD/Boost. I'm about to pick up another Bogner Blue or Nexus. These boosts replaced my TS808s...

Understood regards instant switching. I think owning an overdrive for singing leads, and/or switching to the Archon's 2nd channel for crunch/lead would work for your needs. Even an extra boost for pushing the front end of the Archon into a light crunch might do.

The guitar volume knob I'd use for more stage volume when needed. Diming the volume knob will add more breakup, but I'd use this when the effects pedals were already considered. IMHO, one needs a little extra elbow room when using guitar volume, and setting your base volume at 6 provides more or less "edge" as needed.

Regards overdrive, I'd consider something with a 2-button footswitch for drive and more drive. (read: crunch and high gain).

Just remember you will have the Archon foot switch. I'd wait until receiving the amp and putting it through its paces before considering anything else. Considering possible scenarios, you might find a simple distortion pedal would be enough for high gain, the 2 Archon channels might be good for clean and crunch themselves...

I admit, two channel amps are beyond my mental capacity. I tended to use one channel or the other. & so got rid of my two channel amps.

A couple of pedals & the volume knob. I can't deal with more than that.

I may try a pedal switcher or just live with it as is.
With the Archon, my favorite is the high gain and 90% of my playing is clean and high gakn. Crunch is like 10% or so. I think it may be a waste for me to keep the Archon set for crunch and then a pedal for high gain.
I want the Archon blasting for brutal gain. That and the clean are my love of this amp.

I admit, two channel amps are beyond my mental capacity. I tended to use one channel or the other. & so got rid of my two channel amps.

A couple of pedals & the volume knob. I can't deal with more than that.
That's awesome! I had friends who giggled wirh one Chanel amps. Some using guitar volume and some just pedals.

I'll be curious to hear what ID and Boost pedals you guys like with the Archon.
Maybe one of the new 40th Anniversary Maxon 808s.
I have a KSR Eros.

IMO (and I own a 50 watt Archon) there are two ways to approach this.

1- Clean, clean plus a crunch pedal for crunch, lead channel for lead
2- Clean, lead channel with the gain down for crunch, pedal added to that for lead.

I've tried both extensively and think the second way is a better option. Switching is much easier with option 2. If you're going from crunch rhythm to lead, you'd have to switch off the OD pedal and switch channels at the same time. Much easier to set in the crunch range of the OD channel, and then kick a pedal on for leads. This also allows you to go anywhere in the gain range that you want too on the rhythm channel... so if you really want light crunch, classic rock, 80s rock or full on high gain rhythm tones, just set the amp that way, then kick on the pedal for leads.

I've tried some great OD pedals with the clean channel for all kinds of tones, but for medium to high gain crunch tones my favorite may be a BSIAB I built. And, you can use a pedal with the clean channel and still kick on another pedal for leads, but not using the OD channel of the Archon is silly.

From this base idea, you can get as complicated as you wish. I like to add color to my solos so I've never been one to just add a clean boost. I usually like an OD with color, delay and maybe chorus. You can set up these options on top of the basic ideas of 1 and2.

This band is original - think Slipknot meets Deftone meets Tool.
90% clean and brutal heavy.
Medium crunch is only now and then.
I'll try a few different methods.
Been playing a long time but always giggled multi channel amps for convenience as that's what worked for me. Everyone is different in what they like.
Some of the songs, rolling back volume will work. For songs that need lightning fast switching I may do the second option you mention, as I've do w that before - so something like my KSR Eros into the dirt channel for the heavies.

I could have easily just gotten a Revv 100R or another three channel head, but I really like the big organic tones of the Archon.

I wish this band did leads. I miss solos!
So, I do that on my own time, lol.
So, no leads on this project. :(
I only use two different gain settings with this band depending on the song piece or portion. Some sections I like a medium gain crunch for intros, break downs, picked parts, and then kick in the highest gain for the chugs and palm muting. A lot of this I'll work the volume knob.
For a few songs I go clean to opening riff crunch, right into heavy main riff in sequence.
Either way, it will be fun to experiment.

For example, with my Mark V, I set up Channel 1 Clean mode - Channel 2 Crunch mode for medium medium gain - Channel 3 Extreme mode.

I agree for leads though, I love my Suhr Koko Boost for that. Even the 808 or Eros.

BSIAB?

And yes, I would not even entertain not using the Archon and it's high gain tones. That's a big part of why I wanted it.

It's nice having a different kind of rig too. I have other 3 channel amps for when I want that angle.

The tricky part will be finding the boost or OD that doesn't ruin the Archon's tone. It should blend well, add to the tone, but not take away from it.

Last edited:
DreamTheaterRules - which OD/Boost pedals have you found really work best on the Archon to take it into heavier tones when you have it set to a medium crunch?

DreamTheaterRules - which OD/Boost pedals have you found really work best on the Archon to take it into heavier tones when you have it set to a medium crunch?

BSIAB = "Brown Sound In A Box" pedal, a kit from General Guitar Gadgets, but there are built versions of this pedal (Wampler's Plexi line and others).

I have several favorite pedals to kick the Archon's gain channel, but what you are after would determine which I'd prefer. My favorite for solos is a Zendrive Black Magic, followed closely by a Barber Gain Changer/GCX. But if I was NOT playing leads, and trying to make it more aggressive, my favorite are the SHO boost clone I built, and the Lovepedal Amp11+ which has a boost that kicks in some highs. EP boost is nice. The boost side of my Fulldrive 3 is nice. Barber Launch Pad is fantastic, but is clean and uncolored. I prefer some color for soloing so the SHO clone is my favorite if you want to add some zing. The Zen and Gain Changer if you want to add mids and highs.

I don't own Archon but what I'm using and always recommending is to go more towards boost / preamp way as well as with effective EQ. Especially with an amp with so much drive to spare.

One thing I will be always using is Xotic EP Booster. It does all my drives with drive channel of my Boogie fillmore set to crunch - it drives it to nuke. I like shaping the clean channel with Chasetone Secret Preamp, it adds a lot of character. I'm also using Boss EQ-200 in 4 cable method so I can shape the final tone both in preamp stage as well as after the preamp to whatever I please. I'm not using any form of overdrives any more. I still have my fav overdrives but for my core tones they are simply non essential

Thanks, good info.

For leads I tend to just use my koko boost or maybe any mid based boost in front of the amp. In the loop, the koko works well for leads.

I like pedals I can use in front of the amp for rhythm and leads, so so wrhing with good EQ options. Hopefully my Eros is good enough with maybe a Precision drive or Duality.

I'll check out what you mentioned. I'm familiar with some.

Fulltone OCD?

I live the Xottic EP but it never seemed God for high gain in my experience.

Thanks, good info.

For leads I tend to just use my koko boost or maybe any mid based boost in front of the amp. In the loop, the koko works well for leads.

I like pedals I can use in front of the amp for rhythm and leads, so so wrhing with good EQ options. Hopefully my Eros is good enough with maybe a Precision drive or Duality.

I'll check out what you mentioned. I'm familiar with some.

Fulltone OCD?

Don't underestimate a good EQ. I can't recommend EQ-200 enough. How I use it with my main nuke tone is - before preamp - I'm cutting as much bass as I can get away with just to add tightness and reduce fizzyness (to much bass does that to heavy distortion), I'm boosting mids and in FX loop adding everything I lost such - so backing bass a little. Most of the times thats enough. Other channels / presets - depends on the preset :)

Fulltone OCD?
The problem with any questions about the OCD... there are not at least 8 versions of it. I've owned 5 and they were all over the place different! To this day, my 1.2 version was my favorite. That said, I've not tried the very latest version. But unless you're buying new, asking questions about "the OCD" is like asking questions about "popular music from 1960-2020." It is many different things and one may be your ultimate pedal, 2 more may be great, and 4 may suck, for what you want.

The problem with any questions about the OCD... there are not at least 8 versions of it. I've owned 5 and they were all over the place different! To this day, my 1.2 version was my favorite. That said, I've not tried the very latest version. But unless you're buying new, asking questions about "the OCD" is like asking questions about "popular music from 1960-2020." It is many different things and one may be your ultimate pedal, 2 more may be great, and 4 may suck, for what you want.
Haha, yep, so true! Well said.
I think I liked the v1.7. I think that was the one that got my attention, but I felt my Xotic BB and my Fargen OD, I preferred and sold the OCD.
Now he has this germanium FET or something, version...

Last edited:
Haha, yep, so true! Well said.
I think I liked the v1.7. I think that was the one that got my attention, but I felt my Zotoc BB and my Fargen OD, I preferred and sold the OCD.
Now he has this germanium FET or something, version...

Somehow, he gets my interest every time. (Duh, he has built great sounding pedals for years... but...) Unfortunately, in the early days I thought each version was an "upgrade" and that is simply not true. Each version was different. I heard all of the first 4 versions, owned 1.2 and 1.4, played 1.1 and 1.3. My favorite was the 1.2. I have 1.7 now. I'd love to try the newest version. And, many people slammed 1.4. It was not nearly as loud as many other versions. Even big name yoububers compared them and showed this, and showed it as a negative. But turn the level up and it sounded really good. It just wasn't as dynamic or open as v's 1.1-3.

Back