Tips for a new performer?

Hey dude- they're not bad. It's always hard to do this! I've been playing with the tune and I have some "magical" tools to help make the vocal great. I am gone all weekend for a Friday & Saturday gig in Northern MN- but hope to get back to edits this next week. I take a lot of time with vocals- it's an art and I want whatever ends up being memorialized in the final product, to be something you and I can both be proud of! Stay tuned! I'll post the final ( with your permission) out here as well.

For everyone else- this is a long-distance collaboration! pretty cool!

Thanks Will and of course you may.

Edit: thank heavens for the “magic tools”

Last edited:
I‘m not sure if anyone covered this yet, but what I heard is the first time you were more comfortable with the tools you were using. Modelers can be tricky devices to nail down live. One of the most important aspects with modelers is to tweak your presets at gig volumes when you’re at home. Or as close to it as possible. There’s an acoustic phenomenon called the Fletcher Munson Curve that can dramatically change how things sound at different volumes. Was there anyone competent at the PA? Possibly as time passes and if you want to continue to use the HX Stomp getting a FRFR powered speaker would be helpful. Having some control over what is being heard is nice.

Mostly, it just takes some time. As everyone said, keep doing it. After all you did a difficult thing! Getting up solo, relatively cold and perform on the spot. I have already used things to keep my hands warm if the place is cold. Although the best thing is to keep warming up on the instrument until it’s time to play. I know sometimes that’s not always easy at an open mic.

I don't get nervous when I'm playing with a band or backing up singers. But I sure get nervous when I'm playing solo or if I'm the lead singer.

I know from experience that I don't play complex parts and sing lead at the same time well.

But I know I'm a fine guitarist and can back up others comfortably so I go with my strength and try to avoid being the lead singer.

These days I perform more on the acoustic guitar than electric.

I've never completely over come getting nervous for the first song when I'm playing solo. But once it goes right and I get in the groove everything's fine.

For me it's a matter of being extremely well prepared so playing a tune is second nature and I don't have to remember anything or think too much.

If my mind starts worrying and thinking ahead to much, then I'm not in the present moment and may even forget what's coming. Like an actor forgetting his lines.

It's a balance. I do have to know the song so well that I can play it almost automatically, but I also need to stay present and spontaneous.

Being prepared and playing in front of people every chance you get seems to be the ticket.

And for me, doing what I know from experience I do well.

Some people are born entertainers but I'm better at backing up people who are born entertainers.

Last edited:
A lot of great advice here. I particularly liked "Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you never get it wrong" and "the audience wants you to do well." Getting as much live exposure is the best way (open mics are great for this) because there is just something about the unpredictability of different live performances that can never be replicated in practice (monitoring, lighting, audience, nerves, etc). Bring your top gear along with your top game.

For me there is a fine line between delivering an accurate but stiff performance, versus a "tight but loose" crowd pleaser. The aim for me is to rehearse until we can't get it wrong, but once I am on stage to let it all hang out without getting hung up over mistakes (and hope the fingers remember what they did at rehearsals). You'd be surprised how few people actually notice the small mistakes we agonize over, but they will definitely pick up on a stiff and awkward performance. They key for us is to find that delicate balance of solid yet spirited performance.

A great tool is to ask someone to tape the performance and then review them. We used to do "post-mortem" video review parties after each show, gather around with a few brews, gently pick apart the performance and use the lessons learned to improve. Warming up properly is also something it took me years to understand, but thankfully I don't (can't) sing. I just run scales for 5 minutes before hopping on stage.

My advice is to never incorporate: Makeup, costuming, masks, props, drag, plush or fur outfits, latex, fake blood, novelty guitars, anything wearable with spikes or nails, or wigs.

It’ll be fun for awhile, sure, but eventually you’ll take a cold hard look at yourself in a truck stop bathroom mirror (possibly shaving your legs in the sink) and wonder WTF you’re doing with your life.

My advice is to never incorporate: Makeup, costuming, masks, props, drag, plush or fur outfits, latex, fake blood, novelty guitars, anything wearable with spikes or nails, or wigs.

It’ll be fun for awhile, sure, but eventually you’ll take a cold hard look at yourself in a truck stop bathroom mirror (possibly shaving your legs in the sink) and wonder WTF you’re doing with your life.

So I guess I need to remind you again...

images

One of the best pieces of advice I've come across, possibly from Joe Satriani in a Guitar Player interview, was "do not critique your playing while playing." For me that's a lot easier said than done, but I know that if I get too far into my head about my playing in the moment, it definitely has a negative effect on my playing. That's not to say don't go over your performance AFTER the gig, because an honest evaluation of what you did that you liked and what you did that needs more work will help make you a better performer.

Oh, and if you are playing with a band, make sure to listen to what everybody else is doing. A sure way to wreck an overall band performance is to not be in synch with the rest of the band.

It occurs to me that I've always been more comfortable gigging on keyboards than guitar, simply because I started keys at 4, was classically trained, and had recitals starting the next year. Keyboards are an extension of my brain and hands. I can play keys in my sleep. Ain't afraid to play 'em in front of people.

Yes I know. Nothing to do with guitar.

I'll be the first to admit that getting the guitar gig is a LOT harder than doing the gig! ;)

Guitar came to me very late in life - I was 17. By the time you're over 12 or so, studies have shown that most people can't become virtuosos because of the way the brain-hands combination learns and works. After puberty, you're dealing with serious brain limitations.

I've always engaged in a lot of self-criticism over my playing, yet I'm able to do sessions for TV projects.

Well actually I know why:

If you're creating original parts, that's more about writing and arranging than playing. So I write interesting, but easy-to-play parts. My clients don't seem to mind. BUT I'm always nervous that I'm going to lose the gig over my playing skills. Always.

So may I suggest: Play what you're comfortable with. You'll do better. So much of life is a game of self-confidence.

Last edited:
An update from me.

Since I posted this I have performed live with a band (short set of rock/pop) singing and rhythm and lead guitar, and also have done another open mic (duo this time). Each time I learn something new. I am never actually stressed, although maybe not as calm as I think I am. My adult son came to the open mic and said we played well but that I should project confidence . . . mostly because my in-between song patter had some hemming and hawing. He has a point.

For the band, I played my Paul's guitar. So versatile, I continue to love that guitar.

Next week (April 26), I am going to do the open mic at the Brokedown Palace in Omaha. I'm visiting my parents there. It will be a brand new experience going into a place I've never been to, but I am looking forward to it. This time I'll be playing a travel acoustic guitar -- not ideal, but it plugs in, and my travel plans aren't going to accommodate travelling with a full size acoustic!

Tonight makes my 8th outing , each one gets easier and I totally agree with the HAVE FUN AND RELAX point of view . Virtuosity doesn't really appeal to all , but being friendly with the audience always works , and they are much more forgiving . We had a guy last weekend , great chops
( sound engineer by trade) great sound , ZERO connection with the crowd , halfway through at break .. there was nobody left .. even the back up band left ...whew ... Make the connection with the people putting you up there ....

Back