Thoughts on the Zach Myers Signature SE

DCDetector

Hello,

I got a chance to buy a PRS Zach Myers Signature SE for around $550. How does this model compare to the typical, considered good, PRS's?

I mean is this like the Epiphone or faded for PRS?

Thanks

There is plenty of ZM love here on the Forum...do a quick search and you'll find a whole bunch o' responses:)

It is a fantastic guitar and is part of the SE line. STRICTLY personal opinion, but this and the Bernie Marsden are my two favorites from the line. As far as where the SE line sits within the PRS range, I believe that was answered by multiple people in one of your prior posts. They are foreign made, as opposed to USA made like the Core and S2 lines. This does NOT make them sub-standard. I feel that they are amazing guitars, especially for the money.

Kevin

It is a wonderful guitar, and since I pimped it with 57/08 pickups (2009 1st gen w/o engraving), MannMade USA vintage locking tuners, PRS lampshade knobs and - YES! - a PRS core stoptail bridge,

full

it is one of my most beloved axes.

It is a fantastic guitar and is part of the SE line. STRICTLY personal opinion, but this and the Bernie Marsden are my two favorites from the line. As far as where the SE line sits within the PRS range, I believe that was answered by multiple people in one of your prior posts. They are foreign made, as opposed to USA made like the Core and S2 lines. This does NOT make them sub-standard. I feel that they are amazing guitars, especially for the money.

Kevin

This! While I have no experience with the ZM, I do have a Bernie. Phenomenal guitar that hits far above it's price point.

Well spec'd guitar. I say go for it. If it is anything like the mid-nineties Epiphone Les Paul that I have it will be fantastic.

I went into Dave's on Thursday and bought one, a 2016. It is an awesome guitar. I was going to post something after I got into this, but seeing this post brought me to endorsing the views here. This is a great guitar. Get it.

The funny thing about ZM models is...there's no reason on earth that they should be THAT good, for the price point...but they are. And then some.

I've owned more than a handful of SE guitars...and they were all exceptional instruments, in their own right...but the ZM is crazy good, above and beyond the PRS SE norm.

If quality, feel, balance, tone, and fun were directly tied to dollars in the SE range, a ZM should cost 4x the retail price.

Same for the Bernie. Both, in my opinion, are worth far more than the money listed on their hang tags.

I've been lucky to play lots of different guitars from various makers, and ones costing triple (or more) than the ZM couldn't hold a candle to it.

Whatever you're doing right now - STOP, and go buy it!!

Last edited:
Read what drawshot said. Jim has just bought one also. Don't be taking too long reaching a decision or they might be all gone.

Very good guitar for the money. With careful upgrade strategy, a GREAT guitar for the money. I had an SE Navarro that just wailed. I couldn't believe how much guitar it was for the price.

It is a wonderful guitar, and since I pimped it with 57/08 pickups (2009 1st gen w/o engraving), MannMade USA vintage locking tuners, PRS lampshade knobs and - YES! - a PRS core stoptail bridge,

full

it is one of my most beloved axes.

That is stunning.

I have the vintage sunburst version, and it is one of my favorite guitars. Fit and finish are very good.

I will admit that I do not have a ZM SE but I do have a Santana SE. The more time I spend with this guitar, the more time I am so thorny impressed that a guitar of this quality can sell for the price. The pro's are that the build quality is amazing, the neck shape and body are very comfortable and the scale length makes it easy to play, the finish has a very high gloss shine to it without being to thick and the neck prep and setup was perfect out of the box. Also, the pickups sound very smooth yet with a nice punch and not too harsh. Switches and controls are tight and of high quality.

The con's, not many. I would say that the tuners are not bad but should be improved, they are not locking and do slip a bit. About a $60 investment. Some also say that the nut should be improved but on my model, it looks exactly the same as the nut on my core models so that will not change. As far as the top goes, the flame maple is very nice but not as three dimensional like a core model with some flame on the natural binding. No real worries here.

I know, but what about the sound? Very, very nice. Does it sound like a $3 or $10k core model, not so much but is you are going to play out and flog the log, these are perfect guitars. The only comparison left to make is how the signatures stand up to the traditional core models.

'nuff said. Nice guitars.

Hate to say this, but I actually got rid of mine. Got a great deal on it a few years back but never quite vibed well with it. It played very nice while sitting down, but standing it just didn't feel right. At the time that I bought it I only had one hollowbody, but now that I have two McCarty HB's to go between having the semi-hollow that never really jelled with me didn't seem like such a keeper anymore :/ As far as quality and playability though, it's pretty unmatched in the SE line and can stand up to any semi-hollow big G for sure.

It has been a few weeks now with my new ZM. I am just entranced. It has this open, sweet, wailing sound that I think a solid body does not have. Since I play entirely with slide, it suits me just fine. Love it.

I have the vintage sunburst model, and it is among the best guitars I've owned. Punches WAY above it's price point! Replaced the tuners, and will be swapping out the pups, but the fit and finish is just amazing at this price point. But I've got to say, this spalted top is stunning! First time I've seen one of these.

Here's mine, spalted maple top. I love it, how it sounds, how it looks. Bandmates like it too! I added covers to the stock pups, didn't replace them. And swapped out pickup rings and knob tip for "black".

IMG_2691LR_1024_zps859977b8.jpg

Well got the ZM today. Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Sent my brother to pick it up. I'm not much caring for the odd grain in the middle but if it plays and sounds good I don't care.

prs1.jpg

Well got the ZM today. Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Sent my brother to pick it up. I'm not much caring for the odd grain in the middle but if it plays and sounds good I don't care.

I hope she plays and sounds great for you. Yeah, that's a odd looking top. I love my sunburst ZM. Had a graphtech nut put on it and added some McCarty Archtop pickups (I was looking for a mellower 335 type vibe).
Killer guitar, just plays SO well and that neck profile is to die for.

KV8GFIa.jpg

Congrats on your ZM! I love mine too! though I did drop in a set of Burstbuckers I had lying 'round the house... It's one of my favorite guitars to play and sees a lot of jam time around my house...

Back