Thinking up changing the pickups in my Zach Myers...59/09s ?

DogPhishHead

I first thought I'd just add nickel covers, but after adjusting the stock SE245 pickups, I find the neck pup a touch too bright on the B and E and a tad muddy on the bottom strings. The bridge pup is nice, but I think I could do better. I'm looking at the uncovered 59/09s (assuming they'll fit the existing mounting rings). Other thought is a set of Seymour Duncan's SH59s - I figure if they work for Trey Anatasio they should sound darn fine in my semi-hollow. I'd like a pickup set that does cleans with articulation and warmth, my overdrive is a klon klone and a Jan Ray, I'm not going for metal tones, more blues and jazz fusion stuff. Any other ideas gang ?

That's what I had put in my 30th SE Anniversary Custom 24, and I really love 'em! I did it because I wasn't quite happy with the HFS/VB set in a previous SE CU24. For me, they're just right.

Nothing at all against 59/09s, but have you tried adjusting polepiece heights? You mentioned string-specific tone, and polepiece height might get the current pickups back into your zone. FWIW!

59/09s seem like they might be too hot for what you want to do.

I think Starlas would be absolutely worth trying but I would concede they may also not quite achieve what you want (I've always wanted to hear Starlas in a semi!)

As much as I love many of the pickups PRS does now I would also consider aftermarket...

What PRS pups were/are in the SC245s ? This video has the clean sound I'm looking for

Last edited by a moderator:
I had dragon II's in my Zack Myers and found them too bright and not enough in your face. I was looking at the 59/09's and decided to put in VB and HFS. Just what it needed in my opinion. I like the output i liked with the HFS and I get the bass and volume I wanted from the VB in the neck. They sound very good with the Semi-hollow and match up very well with the ghost piezo I installed in the Zach to. It is my poor man's p245 before I know PRS was making the p245 ( with the except that the Zach is semi-hollow).

What PRS pups were/are in the SC245s ? This video has the clean sound I'm looking for

That one has 57/08's. You can see the engraving on the pup covers.
Most of the older 245's with the one piece bridge had the 245 pickups.

Last edited by a moderator:
57/08s are amazing but you'd have to send your guitar to PRS to get them or buy used at surprising prices...

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, the 57/08s....they sound perfect, but I'm not about to blow $500 on pups in a $600 guitar. The search continues I guess. Thanks guys.

Personally, I put Tremontis in my ZM. They essentially a better ZM pickup. The "245s" (in quotes for a reason!) are definitely not your typical 245 pickup. They seem more aggressive i would say.

You wouldn't go far wrong with a set of Seth Lovers either...

I'm just going to add some brushed nickel covers now, have a new PRS nut and setup done and call it "quits" on the guitar mods. (I just signed the contract to have my full bath remodeled...ie - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

I'm just going to add some brushed nickel covers now, have a new PRS nut and setup done and call it "quits" on the guitar mods. (I just signed the contract to have my full bath remodeled...ie - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
It will haunt you for ever. Sneak some of the over budget funds for the bath remodel into a set up picks!!!!:flute:

It will haunt you for ever. Sneak some of the over budget funds for the bath remodel into a set up picks!!!!:flute:

Or once the wife is happy with her new bathroom and whirlpool tub, I start looking at PRS core models in the fall ?! :top:

I used to have a DGT bridge and 5909 on my SCHB and it was the ultimate rock tone for me. NO too compressed and too much gain and not too vintage. In my opinion, just perfect sounding pick ups in a Hollow B guitar.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking at possibly replacing the pickups for my new ZM too. I like a lot of the tone I have now (the cleans are awesome), but the bridge crunch is a little too thin/harsh for me. I want to get covered pickups in the end, so would just getting nickel covers for my current pickups do the trick? Otherwise, I've been looking at possibly SD Seth Lovers, Pearly Gates, or Whole Lotta Humbuckers. I'm open to other ideas in that price range though.

For what it's worth, my overdrive is a Tech 21 Hot-Rod Plexi, into a Tech 21 Blonde/Fender Style Emulator (I'm mostly an acoustic player and already have an acoustic amp, so it made more sense to get decent electric tones from that than to get another amp to lug around).

I'm changing the pickups in one of mine, but my goals are different (I don't mind thin/harsh). I'd think any of the three you mentioned would be fine choices.

Back