Things People Say....

They don’t say anything, but prior to playing PRS guitars I have never had one audience member get the attention of another audience member to focus their attention on the guitar I was playing. I’d love to think they were pointing to me, but the direction of their gaze always make it clear which one of us has the 10 Top...

She: "Where will you be taking us with your music this evening?

Me: "Back here again after more practice, I hope. Anything you might need while we're tuning up?"

She: "Well, it was nice chatting with you. If I'm not totally wasted by last call, I'll speak to you again."

Me: "Thanks for being here this evening. Please ask the server to bring you a bottle of water, and have her put it on my account. Um, Miss, you don't think I'm being too forward, do you?"

She: "No, you're being a gentleman."

Me: "Phew. Thanks for being with us this evening. Now I won't be able to get any sleep tonight."

She: "Giggle..."

Me: "Thanks very much. So the woman asked me, have you ever been hurt bouncing around on stage like that? I said, 'Well, there was one time I had pen in my pocket and got jabbed with it. I thought I needed a tourniquet.' Turned out, it was a false alarm, and only a little ointment and a bandaid fixed me up."

True story. Hilarity ensued.

She: "That's a nice tie you have."

Me: "My Dad used to own a nice collection. One had little Napoleons with his hand in his pants instead his jacket. His favorite was a looking at the back ends of hogs, with the letters "MCP" underneath. It was the 70's and Dad was making a statement. Dad's humor was much more subtle than mine. Enjoy the show."

I have in the past had the occasional “look” from session players I’ve hired, but since I’m the guy hiring them, they tend not to razz me about my choice of gear. In truth, the “look” only comes because my guitars are expensive and most of my session guys are better players (but not necessarily better part writers!).

However, my son pulled out a CU22 Soapbar for a session when he first got to LA, and the producer said, “This isn’t a metal gig. Have you got a Tele or Strat?”

I mean, complete ignorance from this producer!!

I think it freaked my son out, after all, he was new to LA at the time, and I wound up buying the guitar from him (a guitar that I gave him in the first place!), because he said he couldn’t really use it in his session work.

The things producers say during sessions aren’t always very good direction; from what my son told me, the CU22 Soapy would have been the perfect choice.

I have in the past had the occasional “look” from session players I’ve hired, but since I’m the guy hiring them, they tend not to razz me about my choice of gear. In truth, the “look” only comes because my guitars are expensive and most of my session guys are better players (but not necessarily better part writers!).

However, my son pulled out a CU22 Soapbar for a session when he first got to LA, and the producer said, “This isn’t a metal gig. Have you got a Tele or Strat?”

I mean, complete ignorance from this producer!!

I think it freaked my son out, after all, he was new to LA at the time, and I wound up buying the guitar from him (a guitar that I gave him in the first place!), because he said he couldn’t really use it in his session work.

The things producers say during sessions aren’t always very good direction; from what my son told me, the CU22 Soapy would have been the perfect choice.

I appreciate “time is money”, however this sort of ignorance just perpetuates ignorance!

Most producers are musicians and you would think that they would be a bit more open minded!

I know that Jamie would not wanted to have harmed his prospects in the business, but I wish he’d plugged it in and struck a chord just to show what the CU22 SB was capable of.

All these posts in a row... I think that despite all the innocence portrayed, you're a stone cold player!

Thank you for the compliment, my observations are partly what I've heard and seen, partly my perception of my reality. My guitar ability is far from pro level, I don't think the study one does is ever completely done; my personal ability is mostly limited to noodling occasionally to background playlists, or trying to sing a guitar part out loud that I hear.

For some background, there was a time some years ago when my rhythm playing supplemented a house band's leads at a local jazz & blues jam, and my choice of guitar rhythm was like that of Steve Cropper. (The only guitarist I can think of whom might closely resemble my style of rhythm)

From several people I've recently enjoyed listening and speaking to, the consensus is, "It isn't what we are on the surface, it's what we are underneath that counts." I've understood that partially that as students of guitar, we are essentially like little fish in a much bigger pond. And that for any of us to learn correctly, we must set aside our egos before trying to answer questions we may think we know, but essentially do not. Most folks who went to college can attest to this. Like others so did I, but could not answer many of the questions educators asked because I needed to do the work and put in the hours required first. Students of guitar (I audited a jazz course once myself, and studied with some local guitar teachers for a time) need to put in the hours of study and/or work...otherwise they're just along for the ride until it's their stop.

Life is to be enjoyed, and sometimes when you get a little taste of it, you want more. The illustration I find helpful is like asking friends over and serving them a meal. A 7-course meal. Or if perhaps you've ever experienced fine dining at a fancy restaurant or local club, you might hear conversations that represent "players" on the stage or comments from the audience that compliment the performers.

By contrast, the worst scenarios occur when some drunkard (male or female) gets aggressive and begins goading on other hardcore partiers. That's when one needs to bring in the bouncers, and/or call the offender a cab so they can make it home safely, instead of folks ending up in the ER, jail, or worse.

Fortunately, small fish typically do not pose as much a threat as big ones do, and it must be remembered if one is a bigger fish, one must work with a sense of purpose, or potentially be caught up as the pros who are "looking" for big fish may think you would "taste good with tartar sauce."

Just my experience with people (be careful whom you speak with sometimes) who say they are "looking" for something but aren't sure of what they truly desire, just that they'll take what they can get, and be happier with that than nothing at all.

The discrepancy most people experience is when they anticipate an expected response, and don't receive it. Allow me to shed some light on the musical "connection"...

You remember perhaps during the 70's when CSN was popular? Now you know.

Last edited:
From a shitty player with a custom made guitar, at an open mike......” PRS, huh? Those are doctors and lawyers guitars with no soul.” This was a decidedly bad idea on his part. I had warmed up for an hour before leaving the house, and my arms were liquid. First tune up, Jimmy Smith’s “Chicken Shack “ at a medium jump tempo. ( the organist was a good friend who heard the comment.) SP didn’t know the song, so I said “ no sweat, medium jump organ blues in G”. Instant deer in the headlights look, followed by blood sweat, and near tears. If he would have listened, it would have been no problem, but panic had taken hold. The organist barked at him to solo first, and the train began to derail. The drummer glared at him, the bass player rolled his eyes, and I let him dissolve. The organist laughed out loud. I was off next, with a mixture of anger and adrenaline. That was some inspiration. After the tune, he got off stage saying “my hand is bothering me” picked up his designer amp and slithered out the door. We haven’t seen him at that open mike since.

From a shitty player with a custom made guitar, at an open mike......” PRS, huh? Those are doctors and lawyers guitars with no soul.” This was a decidedly bad idea on his part. I had warmed up for an hour before leaving the house, and my arms were liquid. First tune up, Jimmy Smith’s “Chicken Shack “ at a medium jump tempo. ( the organist was a good friend who heard the comment.) SP didn’t know the song, so I said “ no sweat, medium jump organ blues in G”. Instant deer in the headlights look, followed by blood sweat, and near tears. If he would have listened, it would have been no problem, but panic had taken hold. The organist barked at him to solo first, and the train began to derail. The drummer glared at him, the bass player rolled his eyes, and I let him dissolve. The organist laughed out loud. I was off next, with a mixture of anger and adrenaline. That was some inspiration. After the tune, he got off stage saying “my hand is bothering me” picked up his designer amp and slithered out the door. We haven’t seen him at that open mike since.

So you gave him a taste of his own kool-aid, then?

Back