The Ultimate PRS

My Black Gold Burst P-22. After dropping the terribly high action a bit, it is the perfect tool to cover all the musical situations you can get into.
Thick neck tone for speaking deep jazzy chords, hot bridge for driving tubes, and Strat in between tones for fast chords. Oh, and that whole acoustic thing...! The color is do deep, it was exactly the one I saw in my head, and to open the case and see it in person... and the ten top...no words. I am sure there are finer models, examples of unique woods, but this one is my recommendation for the "one". It always makes me laugh to see you guys trying to decide the next model your going to mortgage the house over (which make Paul a happy man I'm sure) but I bet he'd smile to hear he built one that doesn't need a back up to cover different ground.

ME1... to me (pick ups aside) it has everything I like in a guitar, beautiful wood and colours in an understated but classy finish, excellent build and the beautiful rosewood necks... awesome! I just swapped out the bridge pick up on mine with a S.D Brobucker and it's more to my liking... the neck pick up I don't mind so I've left it.
photo113.jpg

agree 100%. pick ups aside...so, I'd say the NOS ME1 with the updates and etc would be it

I guess it depends on what one means by "best." I would interpret that, and the spirit of the OP, to imply something along the lines of most emblematic of/representative of PRS. In that case, I'd have to lean toward something with the archetypal double-cutaway body shape and 25-inch scale, since those to me are the "essence of PRS" as opposed to PRS trying to please die-hard Gibson players (or listeners) with things like the single-cutaway models and 24.5 (sic) inch scales. (said with all due respect to those guitars!)

With that in mind, I think it's a moving target over the history of PRS. I'd draw a line through the original VY Customs, the ME1s, then maybe Paul's 28 followed by the Collection guitars, in particular v.5 with the 408 since that's an evolution of the pickups that seems very important to PRSH. If we want to limit it to production guitars, then I'd give the nod to the production 408.

Last edited:
Only one thing keeps me from voting for the Violin straight out; the finished neck. Raw rosewood necks just feel perfect to me.

A BRW McCarty with all of the current tweaks and 57/08's or 59/09's is the clear winner (for me) but that's doesn't represent the Ultimate PRS model. It represents the Ultimate PRS after modifications.

So I guess my vote is for the Violin (US version). The again, is a limited run from Private Stock a 'production' guitar? Perhaps I'm back to the BRW McCarty.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;43207 said:
Only one thing keeps me from voting for the Violin straight out; the finished neck. Raw rosewood necks just feel perfect to me.

A BRW McCarty with all of the current tweaks and 57/08's or 59/09's is the clear winner (for me) but that's doesn't represent the Ultimate PRS model. It represents the Ultimate PRS after modifications.

So I guess my vote is for the Violin (US version). The again, is a limited run from Private Stock a 'production' guitar? Perhaps I'm back to the BRW McCarty.
So can I vote for the violin prototype which was made with Braz?
If not, McCarty with the pickup of the moment - probably 59/09 this instant.

"Are you coming to dinner dear? It's ready."

"I'm sorry, I can't. I'm doing some thing really important."

"What?"

"I'm on the internet trying to decide which guitar is my favorite PRS of all time."

"Uh-huh. I see. How's that going for ya?"

"I don't know. I can't answer the question. If I say the SC58, I start thinking about the A-V neck. And then I want to say the pickups on the Sig, but I start realizing that I love the bridge on the 58. Of course, that immediately brings to mind the tremolo on the..."

"Maybe you should spend a little less time on the internet."

"I can't. We're working on a novel."

Man, I don't kow if there's a dibs line for that one, but I'd like to start it if there isn't one.

DC 245. After sampling 50+ PRSi, I am 100% certain this is the best PRS model EVER, for me!! Best ever for me re both tone and playability/feel!

I have owned more than a dozen of this awesome model, but now I have three great Private Stock examples of this guitar now, a Willcutt's Wood library DC Ted, and another DC 245 in the Oven with the Private Stock team. Love this model!! I am actually glad this model has never been a full production model, it makes it that much more special and rare for me! ;)

IMG_9720.jpeg

This one...

I have owned more than a dozen of this awesome model, but now I have three great Private Stock examples of this guitar now, a Willcutt's Wood library DC Ted, and another DC 245 in the Oven with the Private Stock team. Love this model!! I am actually glad this model has never been a full production model, it makes it that much more special and rare for me!

Pete, at the rate you're having them cranked out, they won't be rare any more!

But yours sure are gorgeous!!

Last edited:
Back