The Ultimate PRS

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
If you had to choose one PRS to represent the best model to ever leave Maryland, what would it be and why?

This....and it's mine......but I am biased......because it is faded blue jean, has a brazzy neck, and it is sexy:)

IMG_1127.jpg

ME1... to me (pick ups aside) it has everything I like in a guitar, beautiful wood and colours in an understated but classy finish, excellent build and the beautiful rosewood necks... awesome! I just swapped out the bridge pick up on mine with a S.D Brobucker and it's more to my liking... the neck pick up I don't mind so I've left it.
photo113.jpg

If I had to pick from my small knowledge of the many models that have left Maryland, I would have to say one of the new AP Custom 22's with trem, RW neck, 57/08's, and pattern neck would probably take the cake for me. Why? Well, I think the 57/08's are my favorite pickups to date, the PRS trem is one of the best systems out there, the blade switch and combinations it provides are the best offered as of yet, and the V12 finish. However, that's coming from someone with a very limited knowledge of the many special run guitars, so I'm basing my pick only on the regular production models. The ME II would probably be a close second in my book, pretty similar to an AP CU22 but no blade switch. I'm sure there will be plenty of posts to follow that highlight some of the awesome special edition guitars out there, but I will say this: I think this discussion will definitely include a lot of the newer models, and that's something that PRS excels at compared to other big manufacturers. The production models have had a lot of updates, and GOOD ones at that. If you asked this question on a Gibson or Fender forum, you'd probably hear a lot about the stuff from way back, but I really think the PRS line is getting better every year!

Anyways, that's just my $.02. Now I'm gonna sit back and watch this thread to see what sweet guitars come up.

Lately I'd say the Modern Eagle, but I think a 10 top Custom 24 is a great marker for the brand. It's been around for so long. The tremolo system, scale, playability, look... definitely an icon.

For me it's the 513 BRW, I see this axe as one that embodies the brand. The innovation, the execution, the end product. They're desirable, they're rareish (especially here in Aus), they hold their value.

Damnit, I just gave myself GAS (again).

I think one of the new 408 Maple Tops with a rosewood neck and trem is where price, quality, tonality and versatility all intersect for PRS.

I think a Custom 24 in vintage yellow with birds is the definition of PRS. I don't think it's the best PRS ever, but it will always represent the company in my eyes because it was the platform for everything else.

I think a Custom 24 in vintage yellow with birds is the definition of PRS. I don't think it's the best PRS ever, but it will always represent the company in my eyes because it was the platform for everything else.
I spent a lot of time working through that one myself, Clayton. That's the most iconic PRS for sure. But in the end, I'm really more in the McCarty camp than the CU24 Camp.

Last edited:
For me it has to be a early Custom 24 with a sweet switch. I think Paul got it right in 85. There are other great models but I doubt we'd all be talking about PRS without the CU24. Just got done playing my McCarty so I am open to all sorts of PRS goodness.

CU 24 is a good call. Don't forget the,original Santana. Iconic PRS too.

I've been a PRS player for 22 years. I've always put a lot of thought and research into the ones I've owned. I'm absolutely crazy about what I'm playing now. I do think they're the best PRSes ever.

And I can't for the life of me answer the question, except to cop out and say "all of them." :)

Seriously, if someone said, "You have to sell two and can keep only one," I'd have a nervous breakdown. It'd be like Sophie's Choice.

Last edited:

Yes.

DC 245. After sampling 50+ PRSi, I am 100% certain this is the best PRS model EVER, for me!! Best ever for me re both tone and playability/feel!

I have owned more than a dozen of this awesome model, but now I have three great Private Stock examples of this guitar now, a Willcutt's Wood library DC Ted, and another DC 245 in the Oven with the Private Stock team. Love this model!! I am actually glad this model has never been a full production model, it makes it that much more special and rare for me! ;)

PS%252007.jpg

IMG_9720.jpeg

IMG_1742.jpeg

167216-3-1.jpg

For me, it hasn't been made yet:

McCarty with Wide Fat perny neck, DGT frets, 57/08 pickups, 2 Vol, 1 Tone, 3-way selector and two mini-toggle coil taps. Undecided on stoptail, new 2-piece or 2Tek. Purple fade with transparent purple back and neck.

The Collection V International. I can't put mine down. The 408 pickup system is absolutely superb, and the pernambuco neck gives a sepcial "something" that I find really hard to put into words. It's a 'feel and response' thing, rather than a simple 'tone' thing. I'm also a big fan of the colurs blue and green, so the blue-green Tourmaline Smoked Burst finish is just perfect:

cid_0FC87B20-3F38-4F77-A916-F9CC7A45DFC5.jpg

Back