The three guitar experiment

I have a stoopit ritual I engage in the night before any gig. I pick out three guitars and play them, listening very carefully to how each guitar sounds, and the type of gig. I can always pick one of the three out for that gig, based on weather, temperature, and location. (I try to keep the sacred ones out of dive bars). That’s as close as I can get to three guitars. After all, they all sound different, even the twins in my avatar.

it seems I didn’t show you the guitars of July.
CK_047LaskinFromBottom.JPG

CK_063TaylorEnglemann.JPG

CK_3544ViolaFullFront.jpeg

After a nice (bedroom) jam session with my SC594 Soapbar, I reflected on this old thread. Back in July I thought a DC594, SC594, and a Tremonti would be enough for me. I have since added the SC594 Soapbar and another Tremonti... Back to the original question, could I make it with three guitars? I guess I could but it would be painful to slim down from my current five. If I were tortured, I could settle on the SC594, Tremonti (stoptail), and the SC594 Soapbar as my only three.

Rather than going down that path, when explaining to my wife I simple say three "models" rather than three "guitars" and therefore the two SC594's and the two Tremontis only count once each! This gets even easier when she says the SC594's and Tremontis all look the same. That opens up a world of possibilities because then I can simply get another model and still be within the three "limit". Fun times!

After a nice (bedroom) jam session with my SC594 Soapbar, I reflected on this old thread. Back in July I thought a DC594, SC594, and a Tremonti would be enough for me. I have since added the SC594 Soapbar and another Tremonti... Back to the original question, could I make it with three guitars? I guess I could but it would be painful to slim down from my current five. If I were tortured, I could settle on the SC594, Tremonti (stoptail), and the SC594 Soapbar as my only three.

Rather than going down that path, when explaining to my wife I simple say three "models" rather than three "guitars" and therefore the two SC594's and the two Tremontis only count once each! This gets even easier when she says the SC594's and Tremontis all look the same. That opens up a world of possibilities because then I can simply get another model and still be within the three "limit". Fun times!
Models. Solid plan. I approve!

Since this has been revived, I'll play. I don't have a huge collection (at least by the standards of this forum), but there are some tough calls.
1. 513 Rosewood with 519 mod. Easy call.
2. Rickenbacker 380L with piezo and coil splits. Really cool guitar, but I am a little frustrated some uneven string response from the piezo.
3. Fodera strat. This is my most recent addition, and it plays beautifully, though I'm not quite sure about the SD pickups they used.

Left out:
Rickenbacker 650S. Great guitar that plays very smoothly, but the 380L is a little more versatile and a bit cooler looking.
PRS P245: I'm really conflicted on this one. It's another excellent and versatile guitar that could have taken either of the latter two spots. I've tried a few PRS guitars with piezos, and have struggled a little to bond, despite them all being very good in their own way.

I think I could probably rationalise my collection down to 3 guitars if I really had to. I have 8 now, inc 1 acoustic - not that many, I know, so reducing it down to '3' maybe wouldn't be too difficult.

With my HBii with Piezo and its 58/15 LT's, I could use that instead of my 594, 594 HB and Acoustic guitar . I have 2 Custom 24's - one regular Core and the other a 'Floyd', so I could just use one of these, maybe the Floyd because it's the only floyd guitar as my '3rd' guitar would have a Gen 3 trem as its between my Special and 509, I'd probably pick the Special, although if I had one, a Modern Eagle V would probably be my 3rd choice.

Of course its not quite the same, but if I had to rationalise it down to just 3, I'd probably do it that way. I know a HBii isn't the same as an Acoustic, certainly not a mic'd acoustic, but the Piezo is 'better' than my Electro Acoustic Piezo and I could use the magnetics instead of either 594 if I had to. I think the Floyd Cu24 would make more sense than the regular Cu24 as the \m/ pups and Floyd make it more 'unique' and my third choice would have a Gen 3 Trem. Ideally it would be an MEv to offer as much versatility to cover as wide a choice of tonal variations as I could inbetween the HBii and Cu24 Floyd but as I don't own one (yet), I'd probably go with the Special Semi-Hollow - its also a lot lighter too...

All I can say though is that its a good job I don't have to rationalise...

Why is that? Just not as serious an interest as electric? I play and write more on my acoustic guitars than I do on electric.
Acoustic play at a completely different price point than electrics unless your talking vintage stuff , I would love to add to my acoustic collection but the ones that speak to my ear or have over the years are 4-5K or more ( 8-900 series Taylor etc ) I just spend more time with electrics for some reason.

Back