The Peter Green Les Paul....

Poor guitar, ended up in the hands of the all time worst 'mega rock star'. lol
I've been following the life of that guitar for over 55 years. I'm a big Peter Green fan.

Saw it Dallas from inches away but it was in a glass case.

This was 10 or 15 years ago and even then it was most worn looking LP I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Ironically, it's an error, which anyone could replicate simply, that gave it its unique tone.
There are different stories about this, but apparently Peter was never happy with the neck pickup in that guitar. He thought it was muddy and too bassy.

I've seen pictures of Peter playing that guitar where he has the neck pickup so far from the strings on the bass side that it looks like the pickup is below the mounting ring.

He broke it at some point and it had to be rewound. I'm not sure the guy who did it was an expert pickup winder tho.

Maybe at that point the magnet got reversed in the neck pickup putting it out of phase with stock bridge pickup.

And for the record Kirk Hamster did play ol greeny on the fairly recent Mick Fleetwood celebrate the music of Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac concert.
And somehow he managed to restrain himself somewhat.

Think it was The Green Manalishi.

BTW...an excellent performance on BluRay if you can find it, many guest stars on stage.

There are different stories about this,
Yes, I've read more than one version. There was one though at TGP where someone claimed that a tech they knew had the guitar in for service and discovered that (I'll see if I can remember this correctly) he verified that the neck pickup had one coil wired backwards, or something like that, and that was what gave it it's unique tone. I am sorry I can't remember what the exact claim was, as that's kind of the whole point with that guitar. But the claim was that this tech was still living and in business in fact, and would verify this for anyone who asked.

The second part of the story was that initially he wasn't happy with the tone, as you mentioned, but when the tech told him that he could fix it, he did and Green had him switch it back because it immediately lost it's unique neck pickup tone. I haven't been to TGP in MONTHS (I used to go there daily) but maybe I'll wander back in and see if I can find that thread.

Yes, I've read more than one version. There was one though at TGP where someone claimed that a tech they knew had the guitar in for service and discovered that (I'll see if I can remember this correctly) he verified that the neck pickup had one coil wired backwards, or something like that, and that was what gave it it's unique tone. I am sorry I can't remember what the exact claim was, as that's kind of the whole point with that guitar. But the claim was that this tech was still living and in business in fact, and would verify this for anyone who asked.

The second part of the story was that initially he wasn't happy with the tone, as you mentioned, but when the tech told him that he could fix it, he did and Green had him switch it back because it immediately lost it's unique neck pickup tone. I haven't been to TGP in MONTHS (I used to go there daily) but maybe I'll wander back in and see if I can find that thread.
Nearly as many stories about Greeny as there are for Mr Young's Old Black.
All interesting for sure.

Choosing a good Alnico magnet is an essential part of a good guitar pickup, our HS Magnet only sell the purest high quality magnet, you can visit for more details. We also set a 20% discount coupon for new customers: 6mbqkq, and Referral Program for regular customers, welcome you!!
BOT SPAM!

I love Peter Green, and love Gary Moore even more. Of all the people this guitar could have ended up with, it’s sad, beyond words, that it ended up in this complete jerk-off’s hands!

I like the guy. Not his playing (after Load I think he became the laziest guitarist ever) but I like the guy...whenever I hear the man talking he clearly loves guitars and music in general.
He might be a cool guitar loving dude but as a guitarist at his level of fame he basically sucks.....loves music so much he cant even play or remember his own tunes, and when he does its sour note city...the king of sharp and flat bends lmao.

Last edited:
Back