The morning after/walk of shame.

sergiodeblanc

So I pull up my Logic session I stayed up working on until about 4 am last night, psyched to get back to work on what I thought was going to be a great song and.... it totally sucks.

I know what you're thinking, and for a change I wasn't tipsy or too "irie" last night, nope not at all. I started off wanting to cop the vibe of "He's the Greatest Dancer" by Sister Sledge, made a detour to Sade, only to wake up and realize that I just spent the night with the most ugly, overly busy, tubby sounding piece of crap I have made in weeks. How did I think this was good? I would totally understand if I was partying too hard but I wasn't at all, I mean I was drinking Pepsi and smoking Camels.

If the Doc were here I imagine he would tell me about altered states of consciousness, it's effects on creativity, and how changes in behavior can affect the outcome of your work but... damnit! I really thought I was on to something, how could I have been so wrong?

Anybody else here have this sort of experience, and how do you deal with it? I feel like Logic was laughing at me as I did the walk of shame past by my workplace with my skirt tucked into my nylons and my hair disheveled.

Oh, I was using my SE "Ori" and even though the song sucked, I really thought I was able to get some great tones out of that guitar.... So I have that going for me.... which is nice.

Strip it back and see what you have. Maybe it's just that bulky winter coat on a mid-western hottie.

Strip it back and see what you have. Maybe it's just that bulky winter coat on a mid-western hottie.

That's usually my biggest problem; too much! I gotta slow it down and rework it, I just can't believe I was foolin' myself all day and most of the night.

It happens, for sure. That's why we record our ideas and listen to them during the week. It always is a little funny when we spend an hour working on some complex thing and then record it, listen back to it a couple days later and think, "Meh." Throw it out, try something else.

Sometimes I find that I start to dislike riffs and songs as I work with them, because they start to sound cliche or redundant as I play them over and over. But then I come back to them a week or two later and they sound pretty good. Rediscovering your own work is about as close as you can get to hearing a song for the first time, and that moment where you decide if you like it or not. If you're not into it now, store it in the vault!

For every decent soundtrack I create, there are four things I had to simply throw away.

For every decent soundtrack I create, there are four things I had to simply throw away.

I feel that, my hard drive is littered with unwanted step-children, but I usually can blame it on being the wrong style or something. I'm just getting down to the wire on my solo project and just need one more tune!

I feel that, my hard drive is littered with unwanted step-children, but I usually can blame it on being the wrong style or something. I'm just getting down to the wire on my solo project and just need one more tune!

My unwanted tunes are so bad, I don't keep them around.

My unwanted tunes are so bad, I don't keep them around.

I doubt that they're as bad as you think they are, I'm always surprised by the tracks that people pick from my catalog, so I'll keep 'em around for a minute.

Oh, and I powered through the track in question and it turned out to be really nice. I traded some reggae instrumentation for some drum editing work with a well respected DJ client of mine today, and I was psyched that he liked it enough to tell me he's gonna need a few days to make it really bangin', if he wasn't that into it he could've done a rush job on it and I still would have been pretty satisfied.

During the whole time I've been on this forum I have been working on writing this set of songs, and getting the instrumentation recorded, this was the last "missing" tune I needed and now get to move on to vocals, Finally! I've got some great collaborators and singers that are working with me and I'm taking my time at bat, hopefully I don't swing and miss.

Les! You got any orchestral string libraries or software recommendations for glissando disco strings?

I keep all of my old music. After a few years, none of the tapes will run on the new machines - none of the native files are compatible. It's just like throwing it away without the effort.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;80827 said:
I keep all of my old music. After a few years, none of the tapes will run on the new machines - none of the native files are compatible. It's just like throwing it away without the effort.

I finally got rid of my old adat, dats, and DA tapes this past Feb.... it felt good, but with a hint of guilt.

I finally got rid of my old adat, dats, and DA tapes this past Feb.... it felt good, but with a hint of guilt.

Yeah, I've got some ADAT tapes laying around too. Digital Performer files. Logic files. Pro Tools files... it's all so old I'll bet I couldn't open a single thing.

Les! You got any orchestral string libraries or software recommendations for glissando disco strings?

There are a couple.

NI Session Strings Pro will do glissandi. Most orchestral libraries sound too much like the concert hall, and the articulations are designed for classical or film music. These work nicely for pop music, and don't sound too big.

Also, you can vary the instruments in the ensemble. My only critique is that it's hard to get them to sound as "loose" as some of the old string tracks sounded back in the day. The built in performance arpeggiator makes for some wonderful bowing stuff that's very convincing.

Loopmasters also has a disco strings set that sounds terrific and authentic on the demos, but I've not tried it in my system. The demo is impressive, however.

Back