The McCarty Thread Of Happy Joy

László

Too Many Notes
I've always loved the McCarty model, going back to the early version, and have had them with the original McCarty humbuckers, and with P-90s, each with both mahogany and rosewood necks, and recently the new version with 58/15s, and both mahogany and maple necks.

Certainly the CU24 is the quintessential PRS, and it's always been the best seller, but I have a special place in my heart for the McCarty; I've done some of my best recording work with this model. It's one of those guitars that has always been a good fit for my work.

Here are a few things I like about the new version: First, the 58/15s are wonderful pickups. They're both a little more vintage, and a little more clear sounding than the original McCarty pickups were. But they're still powerful sounding pickups, and do a great job driving an amp that's set up right for them. Also, the coil taps are great sounding, a big improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Second, and I know this isn't a huge deal, but I like the Phase III tuning machines. They're a bit easier to work with than the vintage style machines, hold their tune a little better, and string changes are easier. I really hate changing strings, so anything that makes that little chore easier is good for a lazy fellow like me. ;)

Third, I like a bound neck. It's comfortable. I have both bound and unbound PRS necks, and I like both, but if a bound neck is available, I approve. :)

All the other stuff I liked about the old McCarty is there with the new version.

I'm going to post some clips of the guitar with three amps soon (over the weekend if I can get my lovely assistant to help me set up the mics properly), however, my fretting hand is recovering from some nerve damage, so if you thought my guitar playing was spectacularly pedestrian before, believe me, it's worse now.

Nonetheless, I'm darn happy with this new McCarty model, and I've gotta say, if you haven't tried one, do it. You'll be in for a treat. ;)

Last edited:
Man, I need to get back on this horse. I had one back in the latter part of the 90s that I parted with at a time when finances weren't great and the tax man was calling. I've missed it ever since. Not sure why I never grabbed another.

Glad to hear the arm is coming along Les. Looking forward to the clips.

Thanks for the good wishes on the nerve thing guys...

Clips will be done this weekend.I haven't recorded guitar in quite a while! Gotta create a backing track first.

My McCarty is a Hollowbody II... it really is the proper descendant of the quality vintage Gibsons I've owned. Even in it's player grade condition, it's one hell of a fine instrument.

Les, definitely looking forward to those clips!

I for one never jumped on the original McCarty bandwagon, mostly due to the kluson-style tuners. Almost bought an MC58 in 2013.

I have two 2015 McCartys (one regular hog neck, one Jack Gretz WL with a maple neck) and I absolutely love them. The 58/15s in them sound stellar, split or bucker. They are the two longest-sustaining guitars in my stable, and that includes Private Stocks. I also really dig the bound fingerboards - looks good, feels good, I find them easier to see in low light conditions, and they eliminate V12 fret bubbles ;)

The splits are so good on these that if I had to pick only one current-model PRS for all types of music, I'd go with a McCarty.

The splits are so good on these that if I had to pick only one current-model PRS for all types of music, I'd go with a McCarty.

If I was touring, or traveling for a project, it's definitely the guitar I'd bring, too. It's a great do-everything workhorse.

Love to check out the latest McCarty, looks like another winner! My McCarty is 16 years old now it's the longest I've kept a guitar and is still my main guitar.

Love to check out the latest McCarty, looks like another winner! My McCarty is 16 years old now it's the longest I've kept a guitar and is still my main guitar.

They're great guitars, and always have been IMHO. I've had 'em with RW and maple necks, 'hog necks, and the pickups they've offered over the years, and have never been disappointed.

Since it's the one and only and probably THE only PRS I'll ever own, Yay me!!!! I gots one!!!! 04 Cherry burst.. Worst color I could have picked, but hey....SHE bought it....;-)

Since it's the one and only and probably THE only PRS I'll ever own, Yay me!!!! I gots one!!!! 04 Cherry burst.. Worst color I could have picked, but hey....SHE bought it....;-)

I like that color! I've had a couple in that finish. Let's see a pic!

I tried a 2105 McCarty a few weeks back. I even posted about almost buying it. I went back to buy it about a week later. Called the store and talked the sales guy that I said I was going to come in the next day and buy it. He said great see you then. When I got there the next day as planned, it had been sold days prior. The sales guy was wrong about it still being in the store......my baby was gone :( If I only just went for it at the time. Man that guitar rang like a bell.

That is how I ended up driving to Dave's Guitar the next day and ended up we the P245 :). But, I am still haunted by the one that got away.

I'm trying to be disciplined, and save up to make my next NGD the "desert island" guitar. It's probably going to come down to a McCarty or an SC245; my natural inclination is the McCarty, and this thread is pushing me even further in that direction.

Oh Man!! This thread is killing me! Put $2000 down on one a few weeks ago, now waiting for my tax refund.
You know when you're that close you can nearly touch it but might as well be a million miles away.
Would have thought i'd be more patient at my age.
NOPE!!!

I really want to try a McCarty, all these years and not once have I picked one up in my hands. Especially seeing that I've been moving away from metal and to the classic rock genre. I think I just might give one a try.

I like that color! I've had a couple in that finish. Let's see a pic!

I like the color as well, mine is a Dark Cherry Burst!
index.php

Last edited:
Back